Can I have rotisserie chicken?

SouthernBeth

You'd have to check the ingredients. Its rare I find one that's compliant. Whole Foods sometimes has one- usually plain. We have Wegmans here...not sure how big the chain is, and they also do a plain rotisserie. Otherwise, I've never found a compliant one.

Whole Foods has one. It's Step 2 (that's their animal welfare ranking system) and the one that's compliant is called "Naked Chicken". The ingredients are just that - chicken - and nothing else. I find it super helpful when life makes cooking for a family of 4 impossible on a hectic day. It's money and time well spent ($7.99, but on Sundays they're $5.99).

Good luck!

Almost always (maybe even always) they have crap in them because they have to be cooked so thoroughly and held at a hot temperature. How about a steak instead?

Our local HyVee has 3! I even checked the allergen list and alas! No soy, wheat or any other hinky dinkies. It does have canola oil, but as that's not verboten it's good emergency food.

I got a naked chicken at Whole Foods last Friday which was a step 4. Ingredients: Chicken. It was $9.99, but came with a free family side ("worth" $4.99), which of course I would not eat but my 19 yr old son was happy to gobble up (mashed potatoes). I've got the chicken carcass bubbling in the crock pot now for chicken stock :).

.... Monday morning update:

2aaa590c5ebf11e2896422000a1fb003_6.jpg

Whole Foods rotisserie chickens often save the day at my house. They have 2 compliant ones, a regular $10 one and a $15 organic one. They're pricey but they work in a pinch and they're good. Lately I've been shredding the meat off of them, sauteing chopped shallots with garlic and sage in broth and sherry (i'm not on a whole30 but this can be ommitted), adding coconut milk and a little arrowroot powder to thicken and make a sauce, and combining everything over some spaghetti squash. Out of this world 20 minute meal.

I wish I lived somewhere near a Whole Foods. It would at least be nice to have more options. I live in a rural area, so my shopping trips are limited during the week to Walmart, a small local grocery, and teeny tiny 'health food' store.

Weekends we get food from the farmer's market, which thankfully is year-round! But if we forget to get steak or beef tips or any of that, we're pretty much out of luck for the whole week (as far as beef goes). We pretty much never buy Walmart beef or pork unless we're in a big pinch (which we haven't been yet). They have a pretty ok poultry option (Harvestland, I think), so we eat that a lot!

I am a big fan of tuna, however! I take it to school a lot for lunch (I'm a teacher).

• 7 months later...

Anyone without a local safe chicken, have a go at the Roast Chicken recipe from NomNomPaleo, I roasted my first chickens recently (two is as easy to do as one, if you have the room). I'm going to freeze some cooked leftovers for later.

Prax I so agree. My Greek Grandmother (Yia Yia) used to say "always roast two chickens so they can keep each other company".

I'm so glad I found this post. No rotisserie chicken.  Got it!

Well, not totally no. If you can get the compliant Whole Foods rotisserie chicken, go for it. I buy it and that is my lunch for a few days (the dark meat reheats much better). Once it gets cooler out, I plan on roasting my own chickens (two at a time so they can keep each other company!) and other meats. But in the summer, they are great already cooked.

• 1 year later...

What about the rotisserie chicken which from a counter? I have asked them about the ingredient, and they said: paprika, salt and oil. I don't remember which oil, I think, sunflower, but I'll ask again. I have explicitly asked about possible sugars and negative. I'm on day 28 :-)).

What about the rotisserie chicken which from a counter? I have asked them about the ingredient, and they said: paprika, salt and oil. I don't remember which oil, I think, sunflower, but I'll ask again. I have explicitly asked about possible sugars and negative. I'm on day 28 :-)).

You always have to ask about ingredients. Some rotisserie chickens have compliant ingredients, others do not.  And, ask every time before you purchase, as ingredients may change.

You always have to ask about ingredients. Some rotisserie chickens have compliant ingredients, others do not.  And, ask every time before you purchase, as ingredients may change.

Thanks, Chris!

After reading your comment, I literally rushed back to the shop to ask. Long story short, after a series of interrogations and a phone call (!) I am seemingly fine. Like, 95% fine. And I was surprised to find out that I have to ask twice at the same place. Last time I asked the girl at the counter, and she named the ingredients, and they were fine with me. Now she admitted that she wasn't sure, and I cad to call the business owner.

In any case, I'd go on with my program because it's day 28, and I really have done my due diligence as asking the seller last time and being perfectly sure the chicken was compliant (which it seemingly is). However, next time on Whole 30, I'll skip rotisserie chicken because it's just too much stress on a weekend.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just saw this and now I'm worried. I was out of town for work and got a rotisserie chicken from Winn Dixie. I checked the ingredients and it seemed safe. I ate it for 3 days without the skin. So now I probably screwed the whole thing up?

• Moderators

Well I just saw this and now I'm worried. I was out of town for work and got a rotisserie chicken from Winn Dixie. I checked the ingredients and it seemed safe. I ate it for 3 days without the skin. So now I probably screwed the whole thing up?

What were the ingredients? If the ingredients were all compliant, it's fine. Did you look to make sure it didn't have any kind of sweetener, MSG, carrageenan, sulfites, soy, or dairy?

Archived