Just finishing Day 11 - Coconut Sugar

RGEDDS

Just about to finish Day 11 and feeling great!! Last night I made some whipped coconut milk to mix with a few berries just for a little treat. I added less than a tsp. of Coconut sugar........it didn't set off any flags with me since everything else from Coconuts is ok. Does this mean that I technically have to start all over again? ARGH........even when you are a rule nazi you can still get fooled!!!! I think I'm going to have a panic attack......I've been fighting the demons so hard!!!!

RGEDDS

First, you chose to do this. It's not like you ingested it by mistake. Your reaction tells me you know it wasn't okay. Also feeding a dessert dragon is a red flag. Sugar is sugar and while it doesn't do the same damage as sulphites or some other big no, I would start over (better yet, just add days to your original 30 days) just to get that urge in check.

Fist of all I am not making excuses regarding whether or not I "ingested it by mistake". I actually didn't know that it was "against the rules" though. That's my point. Thanks for the condescending, elitest response though.

"feeding the dessert dragon is a reg flag"......red flag for what? Last I checked if you whip coconut milk by itself and add 5 berries that is still Whole30 compliant.......

Wow. I was not trying to offend you. I didn't know that you truly thought it was okay. I also didn't catch the one tsp. I will let a moderator weigh in on this but I stand strong on a treat or dessert is not okay on W30. Confused about the eletist comment. Yes, I tend to be strict, but that is how I choose to work this program. Really..no harm meant and I apologize if I came off as rude.

• Moderators

Whew! Emotions run high during some phases of the Whole30. Let's turn on the air conditioning and chill a bit.

Coconut sugar is deceptive because virtually everything else coconut is okay, but it is just as big a problem as ordinary table sugar. And feeding the desire for a treat often increases cravings and is not safe. We usually recommend some protein and fat to undermine a desire for something sweet, not something compliant that is sweet.

I think you can call this a learning experience and keep going. Sugar in any form feeds the sugar dragon and makes cravings worse, but does not cause as much trouble in the gut as gluten, beans, or dairy can, so does not prompt a restart as automatically.

OK I confess. I dig some nuts. and some berries. in some coconut stuff. There's coconut sugar? GOOD GOD...Glad i don't have any!

Good Luck! Keep on truckin'!

Seems ok to me as long as you're eating it next to some meat and veggies and not feeding a sugar dragon. But when you find yourself thinking about that treat in between meals and shoveling it down because it tastes good, then probably best to cut it out. I experienced this with a technically compliant apple dish that I made for Thanksgiving, and realized after I shoveled a casserole dish-worth down in 2-3 days that it was out for W30. Context is super important.

Archived