The Salt Incident! And other Whole30 curiosities.

Nicole

Today I tossed some salt on my lunch at work, then freaked out because I realized I didn't check the label… I am becoming neurotic!... Neurotic and well educated about what I'm consuming, so at least there's an upside!

My immediate response after looking at the label was that I wanted to cry because I kept having nightmares that I would do this. I immediately rang my husband and said “baby, I just tossed salt on my food and didn't read the label, and now I see that there are things on it that don't look like food.†I hadn't taken a bite yet, so he looked on the Whole30 Forum for me, and googled up a storm until we were satisfied that the weird things in my salt were in fact fine for Whole30. I am really hoping so, because in the end I ate it… I ate that salt once we decided I was in the clear… But like I said; I'm becoming neurotic!

So here is what was in it, and what we discovered. Please excuse the lack of links because it was him who was searching online while I stood in my staff kitchen staring at my potentially ruined venison stew.

-Salt

-Caking agent (551)

-Sodium iodate

So I know what salt is…. Check…. But caking agent sounded particularly suspicious. He looked up the exact number of this particular caking agent (the 551 part) and found out that it was a by-product of quartz… Like little granules of sand… Then he found something on the forum where someone had asked about it in their paprika, and the response was that it should be fine to consume. So we felt alright about that one.

Then I realized I had no idea what sodium iodate was… My husband kept saying “it's iodized salt! It's fine!†But since I'm neurotic now I made him look it up on the Whole30 forum until I was satisfied. So from what he found, it should be fine and is even beneficial to add in every now and then… And I hope that the person who wrote that was right, because my food was getting cold and that settled it for me. I really trust the Whole30 forum and I appreciate the ability to look things up and to feel secure/educated about what I find… I will stick to my salt at home that says “sea salt†only on it, but now at least I know I won't spontaneously combust if I need some salt at work.

And since iodine is a mineral, and I'm already taking vitamins to help with coming off of birth control; I figure that a little iodine will not hurt. (Read here if you are interested: http://forum.whole9l...-these-vitamins)

Aside from the drama of the salt: my last few days have been pretty good on the Whole30! I am on day 13 now, and I now feel awake when I get out of bed, I have energy all day, and I feel sleepy around 10pm, which is when I've been putting myself to bed. Even my hives are starting to fade! I've officially had the hives for 10 days now, and they sure are slow moving. At least they never got really bad! Pretty tame as far as hives go.

I am still having some outrageous cravings that border crazy thoughts… Like when I checked my email the other morning I ended up staring off into space at a Groupon deal for wine tasting, which showed a few glasses filled with red wine and raised in a toast… I am such a wine girl… I've been a professional wine girl before, and all my wine buddies think I'm nuts for cutting it out of my diet…

Also, when we had our office Friday afternoon drinks the other day, we usually have onion dip and potato chips along with it. I have always skipped out on that part even if I am feeling like cheating, because I hate the kind of potato chips you get in New Zealand and the dip just tastes wrong. Anyway, so I don't even like the stuff and I was like staring and breathing in the chip and dip fumes…. Deeply… I was loving it… How awful!

Another change that is noteworthy, but kind of random: I have been taking my basal body temperature every morning for a month now (which is all part of me coming off the pill and taking control of my fertility); this is the temperature of your body at rest and you take it before you get out of bed in the morning… Anyway, lots of things can cause a change in this temperature (some of them being normal female cycle events), but the one that is relevant for this post is that alcohol can cause a temperature spike. And you make a note where you have been drinking so you can keep track of why the temperature went up. Well, just before I started the Whole30 (I blame it on the holidays) I had been drinking practically every single night! And 2 temperatures which were outrageously spiked were on hangover days…. Now the point of this whole set up is that since I started my Whole30: I have noticed that my temperature range was obviously different… Well below the previous days of drinking. It's just cool to see because it actually does affect your body in a measureable way! Of course your temperature does increase on its own post ovulation, but you can read Taking Charge of Your Fertility (http://www.tcoyf.com/) if you want to know more. I just think it's cool that when I stopped drinking the entire RANGE of temperatures for me changed. And it definitely was not the normal female cycle stuff causing this change. That came later :)

Here is my food from the last few days, but if you want to read my previous menus then please go here: http://forum.whole9l...was-the-hardest

Day 9

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs, coconut oil, avocado, spinach, and topped with organic olive oil

-Coffee

-Spoonful of coconut oil

Snack

-Handful of Asian snap peas

Lunch

-Leftover stuffed venison peppers from the night before.

-Broccoli

-Paleo mayo with herbs from my garden

Dinner

-Broccoli soup, coconut milk, homemade chicken stock, leeks, onion, and chunks of chicken leg meat shredded (recipe from Nom Nom paleo)

Day 10

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs, coconut oil, diced zucchini, parsley from my garden

-Coffee

-Green and mint tea blend (before lunch, but not really breakfast)

Lunch

-Leftover broccoli soup with chicken chunks from last night

-Sparkling water during our staff drinks time at work

Dinner

Paleo pad Thai: julienned broccoli stem, julienned carrots, julienned zucchini, minced beef, garlic, ginger, paprika, chilli flakes, chopped Portobello mushrooms, Thai basil and cilantro from my garden, with a squeeze of lemon and a plain scrambled egg/omelette thing cooked in coconut oil, and chopped up and added to the mix.

Mocktail: apricots and blueberries, muddled together (only the amount we are allowed), squeeze of lime, and sparkling water.

Day 11

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs with multi-coloured silverbeet from my garden, coconut oil, topped with organic olive oil

-Coffee

Lunch

-Leftover paleo pad Thai from last night, with a squeeze of lemon

Dinner

-Meat loaf in muffin tins: beef mince, shallots, garlic, herbs from my garden, chilli flakes, and 1 egg.

-Green salad with cucumber and baby bell peppers, and organic olive oil

-Sauteed zucchini, baby bell peppers, and red onion

Mocktail: Squeeze of lemon, small amount of blueberries muddled, and sparkling water

Day 12

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs with multi-coloured silverbeet from my garden, coconut oil, topped with organic olive oil, and herbs from my garden

-Coffee

Lunch

-Beef Schnitzel with ½ an avocado, and diced zucchini fried in coconut oil

-Still hungry so I had the rest of the avocado with a fried egg (in coconut oil) plopped on top of it.

Dinner

-Venison stew, marinated in herbs from my garden, olive oil, paprika, shallots, and garlic. Then cooked with homemade chicken stock, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar in the slow cooker with baby bell peppers (red, orange, and yellow) and fresh green beans.

-Mashed kumara (aka New Zealand sweet potato) with coconut milk

Mocktail: Squeeze of lemon, small amount of blueberries muddled, and sparkling water

Day 13 (so far)

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs with multi-coloured silverbeet from my garden, coconut oil, topped with organic olive oil

-Coffee

Lunch

-Leftover venison stew and mashed kumara from the night before… with the salt that was almost a disaster.

Dinner

-Not made yet, but we are having lamb burgers with paleo mint and lemon aioli, with salsa and kumara chips (aka sweet potato fried) cooked in coconut fat. The burgers will be wrapped in a lettuce wrap.

-Probably will have a mocktail with a new kind of pitted fruit or berry (the amount we are allowed). Not sure what my husband bought yet.

Archived