Cheat day after 30 days

Tony B

Okay, here's my quandary. I plan on being on the whole30 for 54 days then I'm going to cheat because I'm going to a New York Mets game there's no way I'm not going to have a hot dog and a beer! Lol

So my question is if I do go off the whole 30 on that day how much will that knock me out of whack in terms of my body burning fat as fuel instead of sugar? Because after that I plan on going back on it. Please let the responses be based on science and actual facts and knowledge not just the assumptions. I appreciate everyone and good luck on your Whole30!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Can I ask why you don't do 30 days on Whole30, and then your reintroductions? You could be completely done with reintroductions by the time you go to the game, and then this wouldn't be a cheat day, it would just be you practicing your food freedom, having a hot dog and beer on a special occasion because it's totally worth it to you.

Info about reintroduction: https://whole30.com/reintroduction/#reintrobasics

Info about food freedom (the beginning is about the book by that name, but there's links to additional resources at the bottom of the page): https://whole30.com/my-food-freedom/

• 11 months later...

I’ve done Whole30 a few times over the years and I second that—HIGHLY recommend doing the reintroduction then food freedom, even if you wanted to do a new Whole30 after the game. The first time I did Whole 30 with reintroduction I kept losing weight even after and kept it off for like 1.5 years. The other times I skipped reintroduction because I knew I wasn’t extra sensitive to anything. And I gained weight back. More than just finding out if you anre extra sensitive to anything, reintroduction lets you practice going off plan and going back on. You do it several times so you learn that control. Then I don’t think a hot dog and beer day will hurt you AT ALL. And if you do decide to do 54 days straight, and then have a beer and hot dog day, if you are strong enough to really go back on it thereafter I think that’s fine also, assuming you do another 30+ days and a reintroduction at the end. But I would definitely advocate doing your reintroduction properly before practicing food freedom, or you’re setting yourself up for potential failure.