April reset begins today

Rebecca001

Starting again today, after a really stressful few months. My food has gone wildly off piste and I am now really feeling it. Exhausted, stressed, gained 10lbs. I am running more than previously but feeling less fit and getting slower. I think I may have long covid, and every time I have either a vaccine or get exposed to one of the family having it, I feel like I’ve physically fought it off so strongly that it’s left me feeling really depleted. 

I have a place for London marathon in October so my goal is to get back to that super fit, lean, clear headed brilliant W30 feeling to support my training and recovery. I want to reintroduce yoga into my routine as well and I know W30 and yoga go hand in hand for me as it’s such amazing self care. 

we break up for Easter 2 weeks holiday from school on Friday which I think will be difficult as I’ll have 2 weeks off with the children, however I am determined to start as soon as I can. My food is all planned for the week and I need to make a few things for the week ahead today. I’m going to prep veggie sticks and other things too. Plus mayo! 

the biggest challenge for me is wine. I have noticeably self medicated with wine due to my stressful job and that’s got to stop ASAP. Plus following the template, adding extra veg to every meal and curbing my emotional eating habits which currently are wildly out of control. I know w30 ticks a lot of these boxes for me so it’s just a case of riding out the first few days. I will be taking vitamins this time, a multi vit and a b12, and an omega 3 and vit d combo. I never used to take them but I have been using them recently and I do think they have helped me so will continue. 

so: day 1. I have a run scheduled with my friend, a long one (10 miles?) ; I have eaten a banana and drunk water and coffee. I will have a coconut milk , matcha, fruit shake when I get back. 
My lunch is mackerel and eggs, avocado and salad. My dinner tonight will be roast chicken, and I’m going to seriously over prep veg so I have it in the fridge for the week. 

I’m doing a cooking session too so I’m making scotch eggs, ratatouille, and sweet potato slices to assemble into my lunch packs for the week. 

I feel very determined right now, but recently my determination has waned very rapidly so I hope to get some motivation from this thread! 

Day 2 - went well today. Food was compliant, but probably could have been better with more veggies. I am about to prep my lunch for tomorrow so I will rectify this for tomorrows lunch. 
i didn’t do much exercise, in fact I did less that 7000 steps. I did 3 hours work after getting home however I did notice a difference even after just 2 good days that I could concentrate better and I didn’t have that horrible frazzled head  feeling. 
I did do yoga this evening, just a short video, and I can tell how much I’ve neglected my self care recently because I felt tight and weak! 

overall, I feel like I’ve had a good strong start. My period is due in 2 days but I ran a lot in March and it sometimes delays it so I won’t be too surprised if I’m late this month. 

Tomorrow, lunch is sorted and dinner will be chicken thighs on a traybake with Mediterranean veg 

Day 3 today. I feel good actually. I had a long day but I remained quite clear headed and left my office with everything done so have not worked this evening (rare for me!) My food has been good, I made scotch eggs on Sunday so they have been my lunches, with sweet potato chunks and salad. Dinner was baked potato, mackerel and avocado. I went for a short run but felt like I was running well and much better than I have felt recently. 

tomorrow my breakfast will be a matcha shake/smoothie with veg and coconut milk, lunch will be another of my scotch eggs and salad. I will be out in the evening with my daughter so I’ll probably end up having a steak and salad as that’s the easiest W30 option. 

feeling tired but that’s inevitable, and I certainly felt like I slept well last night.l, really deeply. 

It sounds like things are going well and your food sounds yummy!  I'm glad you've been able to get back to running (it's been a while since I've been here, but I remember you were experiencing pain..)  Here's to continuing to achieve the NSVs-clearheadness is a great one!  

Hi @MadyVanillai remember you from before! 
I healed my hip (I had a tendinitis in my hip flexor tendon, iliopsoas type area- if you are a runner you will know!) and I had physio and rest and stretches. It’s taken me 6 months really to get back to confidently running and pushing myself, and even then I am taking it a lot more easily than I was before. 

I crashed out on my w30 today, total emotional eating- went to a funeral with my daughter for a member of her family, we broke up from school for 2 weeks so a bit of ‘release eating’ as well… and I ate some chocolate. It wasn’t even nice. So I feel a bit cross with myself as up til today I’d had a great week and was feeling good. 

back on it tomorrow. I really want to do a full 30 and I have done so many false starts recently. 

So I restarted again yesterday, and have had two really good days. I did 3 fitness classes yesterday (not ideal but it’s the way the timetable worked out and my availability) so today took a rest day. My food has been good today but not nearly enough veg. I just don’t fancy it, I feel like I’m having to force it down me! I have a bit of a headache today, probably from detoxing off junk food! 

this morning I ate leftover meatloaf from yesterday (it was even nicer today than yesterday!) and then at lunch my parents took my son to Mac Donald’s and I decided to completely avoid temptation and stayed at home. I ate a ratatouille with 2 eggs poached into it. I had chicken thighs and potato for dinner, and some grapes and strawberries. 

tomorrow could be a bit trickier. I am running with my friend in the morning and then going out for lunch with an old friend. It’s not an especially w30 compatible restaurant/pub. I think I will go steak and salad and Hope for the best. Evening meal will be a pork fillet escalope with almond crust (really excited about this one!) 

Yesterday didn’t end so well. I still have that all or nothing mentality and because I think my meal wasn’t 100% compliant, (but given this is my 5/6th w30 I was prepared to just accept that and move on) but then in the evening I ended up in the kitchen rooting around and…. Well. 

today my food so far has been good. I ran this morning and did a 40 minute hiit workout too. I felt energetic earlier but now I feel exhausted. I went to the supermarket to buy food to cater for 2 family events (and including a gluten free, a dairy and soy free, and 2 vegans) which was quite stressful to be honest. It’s now the 4 day Easter weekend and we have lots of family things and it’s nice to have my husband home for a few days with us so I think I’m being realistic to say I may not restart until Tuesday now. That doesn’t mean full scale gluttony however. My main meals are all planned and are w30 compliant. It’s just that there is a lot of temptation around so trying to be super strict may not end well. 

It’s Easter Saturday, I’m trying very hard to resist temptations. We are out for a meal tonight at my husbands family and I know that it will be 100% not compliant. However I am doing my best to avoid the unnecessary things “just because” 

I know that realistically I will not be restarting til Monday. I’ve had a really good think about where I am and what I want from this. I generally  feel quite unhealthy these days. I notice that when I eat gluten (or maybe a combination of gluten/dairy/sugar?)   I get a weird thumping feeling in the base of my throat. It’s actually truly unpleasant like my heart is pounding. I tried on all my summer clothes today as it’s miraculously sunny here and none of my shorts fit me flatteringly at all. So I know although this isn’t a weight loss thing, I would like to regain some control over what I’m eating as I am clearly gaining weight, year on year. And yes, I am muscular but I am honest enough with myself to know this isn’t muscle. 
I have always had a very unhealthy relationship with the scale and especially at the moment. I think I will weigh on Monday and then they need to be hidden as I am not controlled enough to not step on (sometimes I weigh daily) and I want to break that habit. I am also going to log off from social media too, I did that in my first w30 and found it very liberating. 

so… get through the rest of the weekend and enjoy it. Then a proper effort from Monday. 2 races coming up (half marathons, one next sunday and one 1st may) which I need to be fully healthy for. 

Monday :day 1 

So the Easter weekend was really lovely, lots of family time. Sun shining…. Lots of wine and food and chocolate. By some Miracle a rat had nibbled the shell of my chocolate egg so I didn’t have one, which was probably a good thing really. But I indulged and enjoyed the other goodies. 

and now it’s day 1. I feel very sluggish and lethargic. I did sleep well last night. My food today is a coconut milk/matcha/fruit blend; a salad with leftover roast chicken meat, and tonight I am not sure as I need to go to the supermarket. But I am really looking forward to being nice and clean feeling again! my friend is going to join me on this month, which will be very motivating. She has similar food issues and struggles like me so it’s nice to have a buddy.

what I’d like to achieve this month: 

1) decent time and no injuries in my races; 2) lose that sluggish ‘meh’ feeling 3) fit back into my summer clothes by the time I go away on 25th may!; 4) lose my aches and pains and grumbles in my hip/feet/ankles etc.5) lose my addiction to my scales and break that horrible habit of weighing myself and punishing myself- it’s time for some nurturing and self care 

there is a picture of me on the Facebook page of my fitness classes, it was taken outdoors after classes restarted after lockdown #1 and I was absolutely the most tanned and lean I have ever been in my life, fully embracing the whole30 lifestyle- I want to get back there again (please!) 

It’s exciting because I know what’s just around the corner! Bring it on! 

Day 3: yesterday was a really good day. My food just worked well. I didn’t snack or graze or eat mindlessly. I had a weird night, with odd dreams and woke several times for the toilet which is probably some water retention leaving my body due to eating so well. 
today I plan to do some housework, pop to a gym class at lunchtime if possible, and go for a walk tonight. Tomorrow I will run which will be my last one before I race on Sunday. 

food today:

1) matcha/coconut/fruit/spinach blend 

2) leftover chilli and baked potato 

3) something chicken-y 

Thursday morning, day 4 . I slept really well last night, and because I’m still off work for Easter hols, slept on til 7 which is a lie-in in my house! My children are out all day today so I have a lovely relaxing day planned. I’m going for a run, then this afternoon I’d like to do yoga outside in the sunshine. For food I’m having my fruit/coconut/matcha/spinach blend, a chicken and avocado salad, and dinner will be spicy lime pork steaks. I cooked a few chicken breasts last night which I will have if I start to feel hungry. I find day 4/5/6 quite challenging, they are usually the day that I crack due to a combo of food boredom, tiredness and  just general apathy so I thought I’d pre-empt this by prepping some good quality protein. 

overall I am feeling good. Last night was the first night in a long time that I didn’t nod off watching tv at 9.00 and I thought as I went to bed that maybe that meant I wouldn’t sleep- but I obviously did! I feel brighter and clearer already. I expected more of a harsh detox this time due to how poor my diet had been recently but maybe my few false starts had sort of prepared me for it? 

Day 5 today. I didn’t sleep well, according to my Garmin I did not get good quality sleep although I had enough hours. I feel sick today, really nauseous and it’s not pleasant. I have just come upstairs to lie down. I don’t think it’s W30 related, but may be something I have eaten? Anyway, it isn’t nice. 

supposed to be doing a very short slow run later with my friend but may have to cancel if I feel like this. 

I’ve had a really good few days. I was racing today So yesterday I ate a lot, (all compliant!) and did a lot of carb loading for today. Today I ran a half marathon, made really good time. My foods been good again, I had a burger with bacon and skin-on fries after running and then for dinner I had Salad and mackerel, some fruit and a raw fruit/nut bar. Considering the huge energy expenditure I haven’t been that hungry. 

so that’s been a great week 1, food has been generally good, although could be improved by increasing veg intake at every meal. The week ahead looks to be sorted, I haven’t actually planned my meals yet but have done the shopping. I’m back at work tomorrow after the Easter break so will need to prep my lunch etc. I am feeling quite optimistic about the week ahead now, and I have another half marathon next weekend which again I will need to carb load for. 

Day 9 today, I feel really good. Left work yesterday feeling really clear headed and that’s a big change as I usually end up with a very frazzled ‘white noise’ kind of hum in my head. I’m feeling very optimistic, very controlled around food and not snacking or being tempted by sugary things, which for me is a massive positive. I didn’t run, but instead did a short walk and did yoga - this is my plan all week as I am resting my legs between races. 
my food today will be a shake with coconut milk, matcha, veg and fruit, lunch will be tandoori spiced veg and salad, and dinner tonight will be something with chicken (quick and easy as it’s my long day at work today). Yoga tonight and another walk if my daily steps are low. 

Day 10- another good day. Food has been really good, a mince meatloaf with tomatoes and olives for lunch, and a roast chicken with new potatoes and spring greens for dinner. 
this morning I was up really early so I feel tired now, although it is that nice clean w30 tiredness. 
this evening I have eaten quite a lot, all compliant, I just felt I needed more than usual. Maybe it’s the day 10 effect! 

Definitely day 11 and day 10 taking their toll on me. I just cannot rest today. I have been constantly hungry, really cold and just nothing satisfying me. Craving sugar and fruit and I feel like I’ve battled against my willpower all day. So I am just going to make myself a BIG dinner of chicken breast, baked potato, lots of salad and mayo and just go with it. And a hot bath and early bed. 
I know it’s normal for these days and it’s reassuring in a way that this is working and the tiger isn’t far away but it’s been a challenge to resist it today. 

Day 12- feel MUCH better today! I slept well and was up really early (5am), briefly considered going for a run but I didn’t as I am racing on Sunday. 
I have eaten a lot of protein today, I had a homemade shake and a chicken breast for breakfast, chicken breast and salad for lunch and for dinner I’m having pork belly and roast potatoes with veggies. Probably some strawberries as well. I think part of the day 11 stress was cumulative from not eating enough so I’ve just had a big feed yesterday and today and hopefully that will sort me out. 

Tricky possible weekend ahead : tomorrow, visiting family, Sunday I am racing and then friends coming round afterwards, and it’s a bank holiday Monday so we are going to a nearby town to do some shopping and will probably have lunch out. So lots of choices to make 

I feel much better today in terms of hunger/cravings, but I feel worse emotionally. Critiquing myself in the mirror, I tried on lots of my summer clothes and literally nothing (and I do mean NOTHING, actually fits me, certainly not flatteringly anyway) and my inner monologue hurled some abuse at me for a while as I sometimes do. I feel very bloated and horrible to be honest. So is this W30 related, or hormones, or even due to being tired? Or is it imagined? Hmmm, not sure. 

solution? Well I drank a lot of water in case it’s bloating/retention. I made a neat pile of all the ‘not quite’ items and put them away, and put the ‘no chance’ items in the loft. I coloured my hair and  exfoliated, moisturised, did my hair and makeup, and chose a nice skirt instead of shorts to wear today. We are shopping on Monday and I’m just going to buy 2 pairs of shirts that fit nicely regardless of size. 
I am racing tomorrow, very apprehensive about this as there’s 13000 people running (last weekends had 1800!) and I feel very overwhelmed by the thought of that crowd and the logistics of getting there are finding my friends and all that.

I will eat carbs today, lots of them, plus plenty protein as I will need my fuel tomorrow. Lots of water, some salt etc. 

I slept terribly last night, couldn’t nod off and was still up at 1.00 when my alarm was set for 6.30. As a result I feel tired this morning, really grumpy and irritable. I do not want to go and run a half marathon this morning! I don’t think my sleep was good related but I was racking my brain trying to work out if I’d eaten something non compliant. I don’t think I did, 

this morning pre-race I have had a chicken thigh, a banana, and a smoothie. And a coffee. Hopefully enough to fuel my race. I usually use maltodextrin gel when running but I think it’s effect is mostly psychological so I won’t use one today, 

Race went well, a bit slower than last week but 1:58:51, under 2 hours, I’m happy with that. I did not enjoy it, I was not feeling rested and it certainly affected my performance and it just shows how important a positive attitude is with endurance sports. Anyway, no races now until 26th June! I will resume my hobby running later this week and my fitness classes too, but today I will rest. 

It’s bank holiday here in the uk so we are going for a day out to a nearby town to do a bit of summer shopping, kids need clothes and football boots, and I need to get myself some shorts that I can wear comfortably as currently mine don’t fit. This will be hard for me as I will need to go up a size and I am a bit upset about that to be honest as I work hard, eat well and train hard so it annoys me that I have gained weight. Hopefully this w30 reset will help change my attitude about that as I do think I have gained muscle this year as well. I need to try and be a bit kinder to myself about it, hence my plan to just buy something nice that fits and not care about the size. 

Wednesday, day 17. I’m not feeling the tiger blood yet because my weekend was so busy and draining, but I am definitely feeling better. More energised. Less fuzzy in the head after work. Since shopping on Monday I have felt quite motivated, I think I needed that kick up the bum a bit to get my head on track. I was doing it, but not really doing it. These lady two days I have felt much more ‘on it’. I go on holiday on 26th May so I have time for a really good focussed push now. 

food today was Tuna salad for lunch and pork stir fry for dinner. I ate some nut, fruit and seed mix at 3.30 after work. My appetite has shrunk a lot. Tomorrow will be salad for lunch and dinner will be something with prawns, or maybe chicken… depends what is in the freezer! 

Thursday, day 18. Another good day. I’m starting to feel quite energetic now, considering I have been waking at 5.30 (annoying side effects of W30 for me unfortunately, it always happens). My appetite seems much calmer, in fact I only ate half my dinner and have saved the rest for lunch tomorrow as I felt full. I have drink a lot more water the last few days, forcing myself to drink 1 litre before work and 1 litre while I’m there, then a little more on the evenings. I feel like I’ve lost a little bit of weight, not so much in my clothes but I can see muscle definition more clearly on my arms and legs. 

the weekend, as always, will be more challenging. Simply because we are home, and it’s sunny, and easier to avoid things when you’re at work and isolated from junk. My food tomorrow will be leftover dinner from today (sag aloo curry with prawns and broccoli) and for dinner I have taken some chicken from the freezer so it will be that with possibly wedges and salad. 

I need to write a proper menu for the week, the last 2 weeks I have winged it at the shops and paid the price all week. I wanted to use up a lot of fridge and freezer things which I have done, but now everything’s looking a bit empty so I need to do a big restock! 

Friday, day 19. I feel tired today. My period came, a few days early and without any warning (usually i suffer with luteal phase insomnia and get 2-3 days pmt before) so I feel heavy and bloated today. I have had a tough day at work and felt emotional and a bit grumpy. I’m craving carbs now and have eaten a few apples today 

I’m going for a nice run with my friend later, a slow one. I would love a glass of wine tonight to be honest as it’s Friday night and it’s been a long week and it will test my resolve to say no. If I have time this evening I will prep my shopping list for the week as that always helps to focus me. 

the weekend looks busy, 2 fitness classes tomorrow am and then food shopping. Then jobs round the house and garden. Sunday is my long run day so 6/8 miles and I also like to prep my lunches for the week ahead and make my mayo and other things like that. 

Sunday, day 21. I don’t feel great today,  Friday evening I had a bad stomach and this morning I feel quite delicate and queasy. I slept terribly again. I was going to go for a long run today but I am not feeling it this morning, my stomach feels really sloshy and my morning coffee feels harsh. I woke frequently in the night as well so maybe if I get an hours more sleep this morning I might feel better.

Pm update- so I dozed off on the sofa for an hour and felt much better when I got up. Went out for a run. I’m now lying in my hammock relaxing, I do have loads of weekend chores to do to get ready for school/work tomorrow but I’m giving myself half an hour of chill time.

I just bought a gift for myself, a 20kg dumbbell set for my home workouts, so looking forward to trying that tonight in a little hiit session! 

Archived