When to eat?

nhahn2206

I'm sure questions like this have come up before, but I'm struggling a bit with my work schedule and how to plan my meals.

I work 3 nights per week (2p-10p). On these days, I wake up around 9a, eat breakfast, head to CrossFit for a 10a class, come home and have a post-workout snack (around 11:30a), then typically don't eat again until 4p. I don't have time between 4p and 10p to eat again, so I end up starving when I get done with work. Is it reasonable to eat when I get finished? Should I try to have a small snack while I'm working? I know I'm not really getting the recommended number of meals/timing correct, but I'm unsure what to do about it.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

You may need to eat more when you do eat and try to add something to eat in while you are working. Your meals should include plenty of protein and healthy fats like olives, coconut, and avocado to keep you satisfied through the hours you are too busy to eat.

I assume your breakfast is relatively light before going to CrossFit. Okay. But you probably need to eat some lean protein at the gym after your workout and not wait until you get home. There is a brief window of 15 to 30 minutes when your muscles are especially open to the protein, so if you wait until you get home, you may not get all the benefit of a post-workout snack. When you get home, try to eat a big lunch. Then I gather you are able to eat around 4 PM during work? I would try to eat more at that time. Then later, if you can eat a few bites after 7 PM, that would be good.

Thanks, guys. I think part of my problem is how I'm thinking about my meals. My post-workout meal should really be more like my meal #1, then meal #2 at 4p, and meal #3 in the late evening when work slows down. The pre-workout meal and protein at the gym are just extras because I'm working out.

I'll try to put this into practice this week and see how it goes. Thanks!

Archived