Thrive Market - Compatible vs. Approved

Angela Rogers

Hello! I've been trying to get a real answer out of Thrive Market but not really getting anywhere. I think this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. 

On thrive market they have the category "Whole30 Approved" and "Whole30 Compatible." What is the difference between the two? 

One thing I noticed was in the "compatible" category, there were great options that looked promising, but then in the ingredients it'd say "*Adds a negligible amount of sugar" or "maple syrup".... so that doesn't really sound compatible to me. Am I being too picky now? Is that acceptable? I'm confused!  

(Example: Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing with Avocado Oil is in the Whole30 Approved bucket but has the *Adds a negligible amount of sugar" disclaimer.)

Approved feels like it'd be approved and good to go... but then what does compatible mean-- especially when it's not really compliant? 

Thank you for all of the help ahead of time! 

• Moderators

I can't speak for Thrive Market, I'm not sure why they'd list something as Whole30 compatible that has any sweetener in it. If you remember the particular product that had maple syrup listed as an ingredient in the Whole30 compatible list, could you let us know? I can pass that along to HQ so they can look into it.

The Primal Kitchen Ranch with Avocado Oil is fine to have. If you look, the ingredient that is asterisked as adding a negligible amount of sugar is lemon juice concentrate, and that would be the naturally occurring sugar in lemons/lemon juice. I'm not sure why they needed to put that note there, but it's not the same as actually adding sugar to the product.

From a Whole30 perspective, there is a class of products that are Whole30 Approved, which means there's an official relationship between Whole30 and that brand, and not only are their Whole30 Approved products compatible with the program, there are other standards like if they contain animal products the brand meets certain animal welfare standards. You can read about the Whole30 Approved program here: https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/.

So anything that is Whole30 Approved is also compatible, but there are plenty of foods that are compatible with Whole30 that don't meet the Whole30 Approved standards, but they're absolutely fine to have. Whole30 Approved does mean it is Approved and good to go (but do double check each product, some brands have products that are approved and others that aren't).

On 4/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, ShannonM816 said:

"I can't speak for Thrive Market, I'm not sure why they'd list something as Whole30 compatible that has any sweetener in it. If you remember the particular product that had maple syrup listed as an ingredient in the Whole30 compatible list, could you let us know? I can pass that along to HQ so they can look into it."

Here's what I found that made me sad! Thanks for following up and helping me out! 

whole301.jpg

whole30 2.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Angela Rogers said:

Here's what I found that made me sad! Thanks for following up and helping me out! 

This is actually fine to have on Whole30.  You should be looking at the actual ingredients list, not the nutrition facts. There is no sugar or other sweeteners listed in the ingredients, at least not on their website. If your particular bottle lists sugar or maple syrup or other sweeteners in the ingredients, then that could be a problem, and might mean there was a change in their recipe or a mistake in their labeling that would need to be checked into, but as long as the ingredients follow Whole30 rules, it's fine to have.

Gotcha!! Thank you!! :)

I always thought you looked at the label first and then if it didn't have any added sugar, then you move to the ingredients to confirm. I'll start just looking at ingredients! 

Ok... so then can you clarify this one for me? 

https://thrivemarket.com/p/primal-kitchen-green-goddess-avocado-oil-dressing-marinade

Green Goddess Dressing & Marinade with Avocado Oil 

It's under Whole30 Approved and it's got the sticker on it... but it has the negligable amount of sugar piece. Advice?

Archived