Day 17 - I'm starting to drag...

Megan Vinci Horn

I have been a lurker here on the forums since I started the whole 30 17 days ago but this is my first post. I have surprisingly found this program pretty easy to follow once I got into the routine of going to the grocery store regularly and cooking daily. Previously I went to the grocery store 1-2 times a month and I remember I had a goal last year to cook at least 1 meal a WEEK which I did not fulfill I sure have come a long way in a short about of time.

To summarize my experience week one was an adjustment with the food but more so with finding the time to plan meals and cook. By week two (day 8) I felt AMAZING better than I have ever felt before. However, around day 14 I started to drag. I have been trying to change up my foods to keep things fresh but it hasn't seemed to help. I am tried and crabby, and lost that spark I felt I had during week 2. I have not read anything about this happening to others so I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone had any advice. I have been 100% compliant on the program but maybe I am just under the weather or catching a cold.

Same thing happened to me and lasted from around day 15 until day 25 or so... which got tiring, but day 25 WAS WORTH IT. Imagine that spark but 10x stronger! Some people take more than 30 days to even feel a spark at all, so keep going and great things will come!

Check your fats. I get crabby and tired when I'm not eating enough. If I'm not careful, I wind up eating protein and veg, with only the cooking fat added. Some days I have to eat a TBS of coconut oil, or make some sort of mayo-based sauce for my veggies.

I recall some similar feelings when I did my whole30. Part of my issue was that, in trying to not be too routine, I removed my starchy veggies like sweet potato and butternut squash. When I tell you that they are staples in my diet now, I mean it! I make an effort to incorporate BOTH leafy greens and starchier veggies. Not saying it is your miracle like it was mine, but wow did I feel better after incorporating them on a daily basis!

I've had the same experience, Megan. Today is day 15, and yesterday I felt the worst I've felt for many years. I've woken up feeling much better today, so I figure maybe I was fighting off some bug..... Anyway, all of week 2 I had less energy than week 1.

What kb0426 said makes a lot of sense - include starchy veggies if you're not eating them. I will be from today. My sister has done 3 Whole 30's and always has sweet potato or pumpkin with her meals. She has boundless energy. I thought I knew better and have eaten them very rarely in the last 2 weeks, mainly because I didn't read in ISWF about including them regularly. But I'm changing my ways and hope it'll make a difference. I suppose everyone's body is different as to how many carbs they need.

Hang in there and please keep us posted! :)

I think you all might be onto something. During week 1 I did not work out at all. It was so time consuming with the planning of food plus I was pretty grouchy so I allowed myself to watch a lot of movies. But week 2 I started to hit the gym again and I have been finding it hard to eat my 3 meals plus the 2 extra half meals when I work out. I am not usually hungry to eat that many times a day. But maybe I am not eating enough. I will force myself to eat my meals + 2 extras on workout day. increase my carbs veggies and see if that helps.

I never thought in my life I would be told to eat more food & more carbs in order to be healthy!

Thank you guys for the support!!

I'm glad you posted this! I'm on Day 20 (and it's my birthday!) and I was actually wondering if I ate something unintended --- like if there was more than "Oil and Vinegar" in the salad dressing. I'm glad it's not just me, I've been dragging a little for a few days. I'm getting plenty of fats and plenty of carbs (with sweet potatoes, carrots, etc) but still having a good balance. I'm excited to see how my body adjusts when I get closer to my Day 30! Although I cannot say I'll quit with just 30 days, I'm enjoying my performance and recovery with our eating plan.

I think you have lots of company on this front, Megan! It's day 21 for me. If I didn't already have this much time invested, I'd probably be bailing out! My resolve is flagging a bit. I still want to stick with it — I want to prove to myself that I can do this. But man. I'm tired of all the work associated with the W30 — the shopping, chopping and cooking, and the constant vigilance required around grocery shopping and eating out. Plus I've been trying to ramp up my workouts here in the second half of the month, and am pretty tuckered out as a result.

I do believe that when the 30 days are complete, we'll all be glad for what we've accomplished. So I'm trying to keep that in mind. And I'm comforting myself by making lists of all the totally off-plan foods I will permit myself to enjoy, in moderation, after the 30 days are complete :)

I think one useful way to manage this kind of passage is to take pride in what's already been accomplished. What we're doing here is pretty remarkable. (I mean, think of the number of times your friends have said, "Holy cow! that's amazing!" when you tell them you're going without sugar/grains/dairy/etc. for 30 days. This is powerfully counter-cultural behavior, and I think it's impressive that we've come this far.)

We've gotta go through a valley if we want to reach the peak, right?

You are a few days ahead of me so I thought I would pop in here and see what's up. :)

I agree with your comment. It is really hard to wrap your head around that, isn't it?

I never thought in my life I would be told to eat more food & more carbs in order to be healthy!

I got really bored an tired of all the cooking. My problem was trying to make new exciting recipes for all three meals. I changed my eating/cooking plan so that I had plenty of meals frozen for days when I had to do something other than cook and clean dishes. When the final week hit it was like a sprint to the finish line after a long run. My energy increased and I had a 'nesting' thing goin on. Cleaned out every closet in my house. Hang in there.

Started 16 days ago and just hit my first wall. All the adjustments they talk about in the book never happened to me. I ate well and exercised regularly pre-whole 30, but was more typical of their example in the book of the high carb low protein, lots of greek yogurt and granola and dinners with beans and lentils and tofu. Recently though i just feel like punching someone! I am never like this. I am short tempered and quick to answer. I even started crying the other day over something really stupid and i never cry. My husband says its my body purging itself of all the junk. not sure if i believe him, since i think he is just trying to encourage me. i honestly have no cravings for anything, so i don't think it is a food issue. I also have plenty of energy and can play lots of tennis and work out without any problems...will this grumpiness ever end?

Archived