"Week 1" Summary, some new goals, mental/emotional side effects

BrianaDell

Happy Monday! It is Day 9 for me and I wanted to check in on some things I have learned and some things I need to work on this week.

Mental/ emotional status: This is by far the most pronounced and important change for me. I have struggled with depression for a long time, especially seasonally. I often feel like a logical person fighting her way through a cloud of hopelessness - I know I just need to set goals and follow them but there is this fog I can't shake. No amount of logic can make that fog go away; it just hopefully pushes it aside enough to muscle through. Last night when I was journaling I realized that my mentality has gone from hopeless to hard and that's awesome. See, with hopeless there is resignation; with hard there is work and where there is work there is hope. I have had this experience with previous sugar detox type programs but this time it has really inspired in me the true importance of maintaining this way of eating.

Blood sugar stability: My physiological cravings are gone. My hunger is back to this gentle reminder that I should eat soon. (what?! That's what that's supposed to feel like?!)

I eat constantly! Holy sugar, I didn't realize that I used to eat constantly. The hardest cravings for me have been the habitual ones. Just reaching for things because I usually eat now. Tea has been great for this.

Excitement for trying new foods: I really dislike cooking, like a lot. I do it because my health depends on it but because of this I am always reluctant to try new recipes. I am trying to make this my opportunity to expand the recipe repertoire so that I have more and more go-tos.

Things I want to work on this week:

- getting better sleep. My schedule is very random so it's hard for me to get enough sleep because I can't get into a pattern. I need to prioritize this more.

- Variety of foods. Toward the end of the week I was better about branching out and I want to continue to try new foods and recipes.

- Breakfast in a relaxed manner. The other meals aren't so bad but man, I cannot seem to get my stuff together in the morning in a way that allows for an enjoyable breakfast. I think this needs to be tackled from the sleep end and maybe from the preparation end as well to increase my chances here.

Overall, I am so happy I am doing this and can't wait to see what the next few weeks bring me!

Brag moment: I made bone broth for the first time ever this weekend!!! I was so afraid and I did about everything wrong that is possible but I DID IT! So next time will be better and so on! Yay broth!!

Thanks for listening,

Briana

Well done, Briana. Yes, I sometimes think we get so caught up in looking for physical changes we overlook the fantastic effects this way of eating can have on our mental, emotional states. I find I get much less ratty and have less brainfog than I used to. I find I'm not great at planning breakfast in the morning. I like to have it sorted out the night before so that, in the morning I can put it on while I'm still on auto-pilot :). I love leftovers for this, especially a mix of meat and veg scrambled with a couple of eggs. Sounds gross but I love it so I try to cook enough that there's always some there. Congrats on the bone broth, I was so wary of it at first but make it regularly now. Well done and keep going, keep us posted how you get on.

Well done, Briana. Yes, I sometimes think we get so caught up in looking for physical changes we overlook the fantastic effects this way of eating can have on our mental, emotional states. I find I get much less ratty and have less brainfog than I used to. I find I'm not great at planning breakfast in the morning. I like to have it sorted out the night before so that, in the morning I can put it on while I'm still on auto-pilot :). I love leftovers for this, especially a mix of meat and veg scrambled with a couple of eggs. Sounds gross but I love it so I try to cook enough that there's always some there. Congrats on the bone broth, I was so wary of it at first but make it regularly now. Well done and keep going, keep us posted how you get on.

Yes I am a very simple eater and don't much care what I have for breakfast. During one of the busiest weeks in December I opened my fridge at 4:30 am when I got up and all I had was ground turkey and brussel sprouts... oddly a favorite breakfast of mine now! If given the chance I do throw in some peppers or avocado, but plain and simple is just fine!

Its been really fun and essential breaking out of the ole' eggs for breakfast thing. I really enjoy a tuna/sweet potato patty with avocado in the morning. When made before hand they are easy to heat and eat and sustain all day. Thanks for the reminder as well about trying to take it slow in the morning... gonna work on that this week myself

Archived