Foods that affect Endometriosis?

Lauryn

I was diagnosed with Endometriosis a few years ago and was put BC to control it. Since then I have had pretty painful periods but nowhere as bad as they were pre-diagnosis (hello hospital!). That was until I got my period on Day 3 of my first Whole30. I've had my period for around 5 days now (much longer than my normal 2-3 days) and it has been the worst I've felt in years! Could this be caused by eating more of certain foods that I didn't use to?

Although it could be from a certain food - everyone is individual - it could very likely be from the jolt the Whole30 has been on your system. Have a look around - you'll see some other posts about periods on the Whole30 and often, the first one on the program can be different in a whole host of different ways. And, yes, it can happen this early into your Whole30!

If it's worth anything, eating super clean is the only thing that keeps my endo symptoms at bay. And keep track of what you're eating so you can pinpoint what may affect you more. I have a long list of foods I need to avoid because they make endo worse - yours might be a bit different. Stick with it, it'll likely be worth it!

• 1 year later...

yes, chiming in here that many many people find their periods and female hormones take them on a wild ride during the whole30. Most people I know who have continued eating this way find that their hormones balance out and periods are milder on the whole, but that first can be a doozy. I don't have endometriosis, but from how I understand it works I would expect similar results: at first some exaggerated symptoms/crazyness, followed by mellowing and balancing over time.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have endomitriosis (2 surgeries to remove it) and just started my period on day 13 of my cycle. I'm on day 14 of the Whole30 and this is very frustrating. I was feeling great for the first part of it. Didn't even have any hangover symptoms. But on day 7 I felt ovulation symptoms come on and that made sugar cravings go crazy. I felt lightheaded and lethargic. On day 9 started to feel better, but then on day 12 got horrible stomach pressure and bloating. And then on day 13 appeared to start my period, but now it has almost stopped. I'm having horrible PMS symptoms and my stomach is super bloated. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar feelings and how long did it take to go away? Should I expect to feel like this until the end of the Whole30?

• 1 month later...

Let me say this..I have endometriosis and had to go through IVF to conceive my first child. I was told I have less than a 5% chance of ever conceiving naturally with my condition.  I decided to do a Whole30 about 10 mo after I had my son.  Well it turns out I got pregnant with my second child during this month naturally.  Surprise! I'm convinced the Whole30 is the reason I got pregnant. It must have significantly helped reduce the inflammation that is endometriosis. Be patient, it should sort out.  And be careful if you aren't trying to get pregnant!

• 2 months later...

I'm happy to read whole30 can reduce endometriosis inflamation. I've had my first surgery in my early twenties, 4 more followed (last one early thirties), by then I've descided to get a hormonal spiral since it would prevent me having my periods. After a while my gyn advised me to take the yasmine pill non stop. I've never felt worse in my life. My libido went downhill and gained a lot of weight. I've done a few whole30 (but never managed to pull one through to the end). A few days ago my bf got his vasectomie (we don't want children) and hopefully I can get the spiral removed in a few months. I'm looking forward to the effects of clean eating on a clean body without any added hormones.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to report back into this group, and try to bring more endometriosis whole30 peeps into the conversation. I was really happy with Whole30 in general, but I was very disappointed in my "endo relief" results. Although, I am not sure I can make a final call on it until I do one more whole30.

I had endo systems during the whole whole30, and I bled the whole time (but I think that is due to newish IUD).

What have others experienced? It would be good to "prove" what kind of diet improves endo symptoms and pain. I can't honestly say anything to that effect, so I will have to try again.

Endo sufferer of 7+ years here. My best relief was on whole 30 consistently-ish for several months. You'll want to go through a few cycles before you really call it for endo symptoms. As for the bleeding, the iud is likely to blame. I bled for months straight on Mirena before I finally had it pulled - it was doing more harm than good. I've been managing my Endo almost exclusively through food for the past few years - no synthetic hormones since 2009 for me.

Consider extending it for another 30 to 60 days and doing a very thorough reintroduction. I have a long list of triggers (had food sensitivities testing to help me narrow things down - it was spot on) that I need to avoid to feel good.

Don't give up! Endo is a chronic disease with deep roots in our hormones and immune system - it's going to take longer than 30 days to make a dent in it, but it's well worth it!

• 1 year later...

Caffeine worsens endo symptoms as it increases estrogen levels. Avoid pork and beef as well. The only way to truly manage endo is to get surgery from a highly trained OBGYN specializing in excision of endometriosis - not ablation or any other surgical removal technique. I've done the endo diet (which is basically whole30 minus caffeine, beef, and pork) and it lessens my symptoms but it doesn't cure them. 

• 3 months later...

I am 26 years old and had surgery 5 weeks ago for 3 hemorrhagic cysts as well as endometriosis. Whenever they got in there to do the surgery - they realized it was very severe - they were unable to touch majority of it (being on all surrounding organs) 5 weeks later - and I am almost in as much pain as I was in before the surgery.
I am currently taking a lupron shot every 30 days for 6 months to hopefully clean it up. I called the doctor to ask if the pain was already suppose to be back - and they said just keep taking ibprophen. (I've been taking it for 9 months, every day, every 8 hours) so NO THANK YOU. So I am looking for another way of relief.

I just started the whole 30 4 days ago - and the pain is actually getting worse....not sure if I should continue and wait it out to see if it balances out or what? Any suggestions?! Thank you.

• 4 months later...

I too have endo, and after multiple surgeries and rounds of hormonal treatment my GYN suggested diet changes. I'm on my first Whole30, and 15 days in I've felt like crap the entire time. I'm sticking it out hoping for some pain relief, but so far it's brought on a heavy period and more pain. I have co-morbid bladder cystitis and a tendency to get cysts. I have a Mirena IUD, so my hormones are somewhat regulated. I occasionally have digestive issues with my period, which have also been much worse with Whole30. I don't know if I can stick this out past 30 days!

My first whole 30 was terrible for the pain....but I am actually on my 3rd round of whole 30 and it keeps getting easier and the pain is actually gone. So hang in there!! Once you get rid of inflammation foods - it really does help. I'm actually looking into trying acupuncture and seeing an herbalist to see if I can get even more pain relief. 

Endometriosis : avoid sugar, dairy, caffeine, red meat, processed meat, grains, and additives. 

For the rest of my life?! Yes it does help - but at 27...missing out on life. 

Very difficult - can't eat out...I'm on a Mirena - as well as a birth control pill which has made acne very severe (I've never had acne) and has left scars on my face. And just finished lupron shot 30 days ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 11:39 PM, Bookgrrl said:

I too have endo, and after multiple surgeries and rounds of hormonal treatment my GYN suggested diet changes. I'm on my first Whole30, and 15 days in I've felt like crap the entire time. I'm sticking it out hoping for some pain relief, but so far it's brought on a heavy period and more pain. I have co-morbid bladder cystitis and a tendency to get cysts. I have a Mirena IUD, so my hormones are somewhat regulated. I occasionally have digestive issues with my period, which have also been much worse with Whole30. I don't know if I can stick this out past 30 days!

Update: Today is day 31! I can't say I saw huge changes in my endo pain, but my bladder issues disappeared with Whole30. I've noticed other symptoms of hormone fluctuation, so I suspect I'd need to continue in the program a few months for things to settle before I could fully assess any endo impact. My doctor wants me to reintroduce to track any particular triggers, and we can plan from there. I never got any of the real "benefits" of the program, I'm tired and moody all the time. I've basically been PMSing for weeks. 

Archived