Daisy's first whole 30

Daisy R

Hey all! I've decided that I'm just going to have one thread on here where I'm going to post my Whole30 logs. I started yesterday, this is what I posted yesterday:

I'm not sure how these logs are suppose to work and if I'm suppose to keep posting in my original thread, so please let me know. Aside from that, I started my Whole30 day and wanted to post what I ate.

Meal 1

3 eggs, 2 egg whites, a whole lot of spinach- made a frittata and topped it with an avocado

Meal 2

Coconut chicken (recipe found on thefoodee.com) and baked cauliflower

Meal 3

Pork Loin Roast (recipe found in ISWF), brussel sprouts, some salsa and half an avocado.

I have a question about fat. I usually cook my veggies in some type of oil, either olive oil or coconut oil. Then my meat usually has some fat in it as well. Are we suppose to add a type of fat even if our food is cooked with some form of fat? I wasn't sure but I figured adding it wouldn't hurt. Let me know what you all think.

Now to give you guys some background on me :) I'm 26, been overweight my whole life. Growing up I ate a mixture of the typical SAD diet and Puerto Rican food. I feel like I've tried every diet or way of losing weight possible. My official weight loss journey (in which I decided I had to change the way I ate and not just take pills or drink tea or shakes) started in 2009. This journey brought me to Institute of Integrative Nutrition, where I'm currently enrolled in to become a certified health coach. My own health coach recommended the Whole30 to me because my weight just would not budge. I was trying a plant based diet because of my blood type but that wasn't working at all. I was also eating every 3 hours as well. Today is Day 2 of my whole30. Eating this far apart is taking some getting used too. I also have a bad headache that started a couple of hours ago. I figure it's my body detoxing. I'll post what I ate today when I get home later.

Hey all! I've decided that I'm just going to have one thread on here where I'm going to post my Whole30 logs. I started yesterday, this is what I posted yesterday:

I'm not sure how these logs are suppose to work and if I'm suppose to keep posting in my original thread, so please let me know. Aside from that, I started my Whole30 day and wanted to post what I ate.

Meal 1

3 eggs, 2 egg whites, a whole lot of spinach- made a frittata and topped it with an avocado

Meal 2

Coconut chicken (recipe found on thefoodee.com) and baked cauliflower

Meal 3

Pork Loin Roast (recipe found in ISWF), brussel sprouts, some salsa and half an avocado.

I have a question about fat. I usually cook my veggies in some type of oil, either olive oil or coconut oil. Then my meat usually has some fat in it as well. Are we suppose to add a type of fat even if our food is cooked with some form of fat? I wasn't sure but I figured adding it wouldn't hurt. Let me know what you all think.

Now to give you guys some background on me :) I'm 26, been overweight my whole life. Growing up I ate a mixture of the typical SAD diet and Puerto Rican food. I feel like I've tried every diet or way of losing weight possible. My official weight loss journey (in which I decided I had to change the way I ate and not just take pills or drink tea or shakes) started in 2009. This journey brought me to Institute of Integrative Nutrition, where I'm currently enrolled in to become a certified health coach. My own health coach recommended the Whole30 to me because my weight just would not budge. I was trying a plant based diet because of my blood type but that wasn't working at all. I was also eating every 3 hours as well. Today is Day 2 of my whole30. Eating this far apart is taking some getting used too. I also have a bad headache that started a couple of hours ago. I figure it's my body detoxing. I'll post what I ate today when I get home later.

Welcome Daisy!

• Moderators

You are supposed to keep adding to this log throughout your Whole30. Staying with one log makes it possible for people who want to "follow" your log to do so (and keeps the volume of logs down, which is also important).

We encourage people to eat whole eggs. There is a lot of good in the yolks, so we don't want you to miss any of it.

You almost always need to cook with some fat, so that is a given. When you are eating a fatty cut of meat, you don't have to add more fat like avocado or olives, but you can if you need it to stay satisfied between meals or because you like the taste. I sometimes add avocado slices to ground beef chili even though the ground beef I use typically includes plenty of fat. You don't have to be perfect with how much fat you eat at every meal. These things tend to average out across the day or across a few days.

You did not include any starchy carbs like sweet potato or butternut squash. Most people feel and perform better with some carbs in their diet. Day 2 is a bit early to be suffering with detox symptoms, but some carbs might help you adjust more easily.

Thanks Tom!! Great suggestions. I was able to cook some sweet potato fries today so I had that for dinner. I'm definitely going to try to eat them earlier in the day.

Day 2 log:

Morning Fasted training/cardio

Meal 1: 4 eggs & 3 egg whites frittata with spinach and topped with half an avocado.

Meal 2: Baked Cauliflower with coconut chicken

Meal 3: Ground turkey lettuce wraps topped with salsa & half an avocado, sweet potato fries.

My energy has been dragging today. I'm one of those people that never feels hungry. It takes a long time for stomach to send me that empty feeling, so I'm worried I might not be eating enough. I know in the book, it says to at least eat the 3 meals so I'm doing that and hoping that soon my hormones become regulated and I'm able to know when I'm hungry so I can adjust my meals accordingly or maybe even add another meal.

Day 3 done!

I didn't feel as crappy as I felt yesterday, which is great. I also didn't feel as tired either. I had a slight headache on and off but it wasn't too bad. My day:

Fasted cardio

Meal 1: 4 pieces of this breakfast loaf (made with eggs, sausage, ground beef, shredded zucchini) and sweet potato fries.

Meal 2: Pork loin roast topped with salsa, half and avocado and some Brussels sprouts. Followed by a mango.

Pre-workout snack: 1 hard boiled egg and 1 spoonful of almond butter.

Cardio Kickboxing

Meal 3: 2 ground turkey lettuce wrapped topped with salsa and avocado, and sweet potato fries.

I wonder if I had too much sweet potato today. I also think I should have added some fat to my meal 1, but then I know it says after a workout to add little to no fat and that I should have a carb dense veggie after working out as well.

Also, I did feel somewhat hungry today a couple hours after finishing the mango. I'm not sure if it's because I had the mango and I read on one of the forums that fruit makes you hungry faster. Luckily I was going to have my preworkout snack around that time, so it worked out.

Looking forward to day 4! Now off to bed :)

Day 4 in the bag! My day:

Fasted training and some cardio

Meal 1: 3 pieces of the breakfast loaf, half an avocado, sweet potato fries and a cup of coconut water

Meal 2: Coconut chicken with baked cauliflower, half an avocado and two kiwis.

Meal 3: Spinach salad topped with chopped tomatoes, salsa, half an avocado and ground turkey

Is it possible to have too much avocado? I'm definitely loving it with everything! lol I feel awesome today. No headaches or anything. I also had slightly more energy then usual and managed to stay up during my usual morning train ride to my internship. Today was leg day so I was definitely feeling eh during it so I'll keep an eye on it. I also think my hunger is starting to come back. I ate meal 1 at around 10am and wasn't hungry until 3:30pm or so, at which time I planned to eat anyway. Then I ate again when I got home around 830/9ish. I'm super surprised that these meals keep me going for so long. Love it! Lets see what tomorrow brings :)

Day 5 done!!

Cardio

Meal 1: Frittata made with 4 eggs, 2 egg whites, about 4 handfuls of kale(i have really small hands lol), avocado mashed with salt and sweet potato fries

Meal 2: Coconut chicken, cauliflower, 1 kiwi, closed handful of raw cashews

Meal 3: Mango, between 1/4-1/2 of a can of coconut milk, pork loin roast, brussel sprouts.

I felt alright today. Towards the end of the day, I kind of felt bored with my food. Luckily tomorrow I'm free so I get to do some meal prep and grocery shopping. Because I was bored, everything I saw I wanted to eat. On my way home, I saw cheetos on the floor and thought of how "good" they tasted lol. I can't even remember the last time I had cheetos! I was also hungry at that point lol.

I've been super super worried about going out during my Whole30. I'm going to a baby shower near my parent's house on Saturday and I'm bring my own food to eat at my parents house before or after lol. I was invited to another baby shower on day 28 of my Whole30 and I quickly told myself I wasn't going. I've since changed my mind. I think i'll speak to my friend (whose baby shower it is) and let her know I'll be bringing my own food, maybe I'll take a plate to go and eat on day 30 something lol, but I won't eat there. Then today, I got invited to a mexican restaurant for next week. I did like many on here suggested and called the place. The guy said if I want my meat plain, they can do that and when I come to just speak to him and he'll hook me up lol. I'm thinking of just getting a salad with plain grilled chicken of steak with salsa and guac (if they are made without sugar or other crap lol). Conventionally grown meat is acceptable right?

I'm a little anxious about social situations too right now. Last night in dance class they were passing around cookies, walnut bread and peanuts. I wanted to jump out the window.

My meals have been feeling kinda uninspired this week so I plan to do some recipe research over the weekend to get myself excited for the week coming.

It sounds like you're doing great and your meals look yummy!

My Day 6:

Meal 1: egg, salad & tomato salad made with 4 eggs, an avocado, and a roma tomato

HIIT workout

Post Workout/Meal 2 (it took so long to warm up, I don't think it counts as PWO lol): 1 pork bratwurst and sweet potato fries

Snack: Larabar in cashew cookie

Meal 3: Pork loin roast, salsa, an avocado, sweet potato fries.

I bought lots of goodies today at Trader Joes so I'm excited for meal prep this week! I think today is suppose to be one of those "kill all things" days, but I definitely don't feel like that. I'm super surprised at how long I can go without eating. I had the Larabar around 7pm because I didn't have time to warm up my food(my microwave broke so I've been using my oven:-/ ). When I got back home from grocery shopping and getting a new microwave around 10pm at which time I ate because I know I needed another meal and I was slightly hungry.

Still have to plan for what I'm taking with me tomorrow to eat before or after the baby shower I go to. I'm think a salad, but I think I can do something heftier, we'll see.

Day 7. Yay!! One full week done :)

Meal 1: 4 pieces of my breakfast loaf, an avocado mashed with some salt

Meal 2: Pork bratwurst and baked brussel sprouts. Some coconut milk with cinnamon sprinkled on the top.

Meal 3: Ground turkey salad with spinach, salsa, homemade & diary free chipotle ranch dressing and an avocado

Snack (at the baby shower): Fruits

The baby shower was very difficult. I think it was catered because they had so many appetizers, a candy table, cupcakes. I sooooo wanted to eat everything!!! All I could think about was the food and how much I wanted it. So when I got there, I made a small plate with fruit pieces. Then when they served dinner, I got another small plate of fruits. I did realize that my stomach was hurting somewhat afterwards and my head started hurting. I think it's because it was way too much fruit for me, even though it wouldn't have been so before. But lately I've only had one fruit at most a day, if that., so maybe my body wasn't ready for it, who knows. But I'm going to keep an eye out for that next time I do have fruit. I'm so proud that I successfully handled my first social event on my Whole30!! Next up, is my Mexican outing with my colleagues on Thursday and then restaurant week. I'll keep posting about my preparation for those events lol.

Day 8! Today was a very relaxed day since I just stayed home. I did get to do some meal prep. I made sauteed zucchini, acorn squash, this baked alfredo pumpkin casserole that has spaghetti squash in it also and I made mashed sweet potatoes with pecans in them. I love all the different vegetables I have. I still have more food to prep, like I want to steam some broccoli and asparagus, but I must clean the dishes first :(

What I ate, basically the same as yesterday:

Meal 1: 4 pieces of the breakfast loaf with an avocado mashed with some salt

Meal 2: Pork bratwurst with brussel sprouts, a piece of pineapple and a closed handful of raw cashews

Meal 3: Ground turkey spinach salad, with salsa, my dressing and an avocado

I also had about 2 spoonfuls of the mashed sweet potatoes before putting it away.

I'm loving all the new recipes I get to try. On my list of things to make are some recipes that include apples. I have oral allergy syndrome so I can have raw apples, but I can have them cooked. So I'm hoping it doesn't cause any reactions since whatever enzymes in them would be killed off.

Day 9!!! Spent the whole day prepping food. I'm exhausted!!

Here's what I ate:

Meal1: 4 pieces of breakfast loaf with an avocado mashed w/salt

Workouted

PWO: 1 egg and some acorn squash with cinnamon on top

Meal 2: pork bratwurst with some pumpkin alfredo casserole

Meal 3: Beef and sweet potato stew and half an avocado

I was struggling this morning with not being able to weigh myself. I feel like I need to weigh myself to feel like it is worth it or something. While at the gym, I had to cheer myself on and tell myself that I don't need the scale to validate how great a job I'm doing or to negate how great I feel. This part of the Whole30 is going to be something I'm going to struggle with. I like seeing quick results and because I can't weigh myself, I don't feel like I'm getting results. But i'm only looking at it as if the number on the scale is the only thing that matters. I'm trying to focus on the other aspects, such as how awesome I feel eating this way or how much I enjoy making different recipes. And how easy it is to eat this way. We'll see. I hope it doesn't pop up often, because I really don't want to stress about it.

Didn't get to post last night. It was such a long day! My last semester in grad school has started, but I'm taking three classes back to back :unsure: While getting dressed for school, I definitely felt smaller in my pants. I think my love handles are shrinking!

Day 10(yesterday)

Fasted Cardio on the bike for 40 minutes

Meal 1: Sausage, apple and sweet potato hash

Meal 2: Ground turkey cooked with grated apples and zucchini and some mashed sweet potatoes with pecans

Pre-workout/Meal 3: 2 eggs mashed with half an avocado and a piece of alfredo pumpkin casserole

Cardio kickboxing

PWO: some coconut crusted chicken tenders and mango slaw. Also had a spoonful of coconut manna. It has an interesting taste. All I could think about was how great it would taste on toast! lol

I'll update later today on all my meals.

Also feel free to follow me on Instagram. I post pictures of all my meals and my calories burns. My username is boridizzy

Finished eating for the day! I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night so I was so exhausted today and kept falling asleep in my class this morning. Then had to run to my internship. I'm glad it's over and I can go to sleep soon!

Workout- Leg day

Meal 1: sausage, apple and sweet potato hash with some sweet potato fries (theres definitely more sausage then anything in the hash)

Meal 2: Beef and sweet potato stew with an avocado, strawberries.

Snack: Larabar in apple pie

Meal 3: Ground turkey lettuce wraps topped with a drizzle of my dressing, salsa and half an avocado. Some brussel sprouts and zucchini.

Day 12! I went out for dinner today with people from my internship. I was so anxious the entire time! We went to a mexican restaurant. I couldn't get anything on their menu so when the waiter/owner comes I tell him I just want salad and chicken. He asked if onions and tomatoes were fine. I said yes and said chicken, no oil please. He told the waiter chicken salad, no dressing. While waiting for my food, I was super worried that they were going to cook the chicken in oil or something. The salad comes out (has an awesome presentation also) and the owner asks me what dressing I want so i just asked for salsa. After looking at the chicken, it looks a little shiny. I ask the water if the chicken was cooked in oil, he says yes so I ask if I can get a chicken cooked without anything. he takes it back and the owner returns with it. he tells me that they didn't put anything on the grill when making the chicken and that the grill is just like that. I'm thinking this just means that grill is greasy or has a non stick "coating"who knows. Anyway, I had the salad with the salsa and some guacamole that the table ordered. the salad was okay. i could have definitely had a better salad at home. I'm not even sure if my meal was 100% compliant, which worries me a little. My mind is like running around saying "oh no,I need to start over" and "there was definitely oil somewhere in that salad", etc. lol anyway, I'm trying to get over it. I did realize how habitual my eating habits are at certain restaurants. At mexican, without thinking I often dig into the chips and salsa. I would have also usually gotten a drink so it was hard but also easy to resist. Anyway, I'm talking too much. Here's what else I ate aside from the salad I had for dinner:

Cardio in the morning

Meal 1: egg, tomato & avocado salad made w/4 eggs, 1 roma tomato & 1 avocado. and some sweet potato fries

Meal 2: Coconut crusted chicken with broccoli and zucchini, 1 piece of pineapple and a handful of raw cashews.

Day 13 in the bag! Lazy day today since I didn't have school or my internship. Did some grocery shopping since I ran out of avocados and have to do meal prep soon. Now to just wait for the avocados I got to ripen :( I might put one or two in a paper bag and hope they ripen by morning. If not then into the oven they go! (google it)

What I ate:

Meal 1: 4 eggs, 2 egg whites & kale frittata with an avocado mashed with some salt

PWO: one egg and one piece of baked pumpkin alfredo casserole

Meal 2: ground turkey made with apples and zucchini, with some broccoli, a mango and a handful of cashews.

Meal 3: almond flour crusted chicken tenders and mashed sweet potato

I was looking around on the forums and came across several threads about carbs. So I looked into it and went back to ISWF to see the carb curve. I'm definitely overweight so I'm worried that maybe I shouldn't be having high carb veggies. But then I know we need it for energy esp if we're working out a lot like how I am. But I'm not sure. I also look at Mark Sisson's carb graph thing that says I need between 50-100g of carbs a day to lose weight. I'm not sure. If anybody wants to weigh in, feel free.

Day 14.

Meal 1: 4 deviled eggs (8 halves) and broccoli

Workout: Bosu ball class and walking to and from the studio in the snow

Meal 2: Sausage, sweet potato and apple hash(which had only two pieces of sausage), ground turkey, mashed sweet potato, 4 strawberries and one piece of pineapple

Meal 3: coconut crusted chicken tenders, mango slaw and coconut milk

I think I pulled a muscle in my neck while working out. It was hurting afterwards and even after taking a nap. So I took some generic tylenol. I feel nauseous right now. I wonder if it's from the tylenol. I hope it ends soon. I was worried about what to take for the pain. I saw on the forums that we should stay away from NSAID so I decided on tylenol.

Day 15!! I'm halfway through :D It definitely has gone by fast!

Last night I went out with my sister and my cousin to a club. They got three bottles and hookah so it was definitely hard being around that. Especially since I usually would have taken part. but hey, i'm building new habits. So I stuck to my guns and didn't take part in any of it. I filled a cup with ice and that was what I sipped on all day. It was definitely helpful when I had guys trying to get me to dance lol. The last cup I made myself, tasted somewhat like setlzer water so i quickly stopped drinking and put it down. I'm not sure what it was but I got it from the ice bucket. I hope it wasn't liquor :unsure:

Anyway onto today

Meal 1: 3 eggs and two pieces of pumpkin alfredo casserole

Meal 2: Ground turkey made with zucchini and apples, with some more zucchini and half an avocado

Meal 3: Chili lime chicken burger (from Trader Joes) topped with mayo and chopped tomatoes, on top of lettuce with an avocado.

Day 16!! Yay two weeks left! I am definitely going to keep this up, after reintroducing some foods to see how I react. But I love how much food I'm eating and how satisfied it keeps me.

Fasted upper body training

Meal 1: Half mushroom and kale quiche, sweet potato fries and an avocado

Meal 2: 4 coconut meat cups, zucchini and a mango

Meal 3: 3 apple mustard turkey burgers, 2 pieces of pumpkin alfredo casserole, a spoonful of mayo, lettuce topped with salsa and an avocado

Also had half a kombucha bottle

I was very disappointed with my Meal 2. I made the meat cups yesterday but ate some today. They were SOOOO dry! It was also chewy. It was like coconut flakes featuring ground beef, instead of vice versa like I would like. That meal didn't keep me satisfied for long. i think it's because of how little protein was in my meal. My energy on my way home was low. I ended up falling asleep on the train. Usually that only happens on my way to my internship in the morning, never on the way home. So I definitely think it was due to the lack of protein or maybe because I didn't have much high carb veggies. I'm not sure. I'm trying not to rely too much on high vegs but we'll see.

Also, some good news! My boyfriend wants to do a Whole30!! I'm super excited. he hasn't decided when yet and wants to look through the info. So I'm happy for him and it'll definitely make it easier at home for us to be on the same page foodwise. Depending on when it is, I might join him. :)

Archived