Tammy's Whole30 Log

Tammy

Yeah, not the most original title, but oh well. ;)

Here's what I have planned for today. Not sure about dinner yet, but I'll find something in the fridge when I get home from work.

Day 1

Breakfast: Pizza Omelette Muffins & handful pecans and macadamia nuts.

Lunch: Chocolate Chili, Mashed Cauliflower & brocolli

Snack: Raw carrots & cauliflower

Dinner: Grass-fed beef chuck roast, cucumbers, tomatoes, sunshine sauce (Well Fed).

Sleep: Not good as usual. Woke up several times and feeling groggy this morning. Not going to rely on my coffee though! I'm giving it up too.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. This is my first Whole30, so just figuring this out. Think I probably need more veggie variety.

I had that chili tonight...so good and my go to on gloomy days.

Your log looks really good. Keep it up. Just be sure to get plenty of protein, veggies and fat in each meal, even snacks.

Hang in there with the no coffee. I got off the caffeine when Dallas did a "caffeine holiday" last year. It was tough, but I have never gone back and I don't regret that.

You are doing great...can't wait to read and follow along.

Thanks Carie! I'm enjoying this so far.

Day 2

Breakfast: Pizza Omelette Muffins & Roasted Squash with Sausage

Snack: Larabar

Lunch: The Best Chicken (Well Fed), Velvety Squash (Well Fed), tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, jicama (all raw).

Snack: Pecans & Bengal Spice herbal tea

Dinner: Grass-fed beef chuck roast & Chocolate Chili (little of each), choban salata, sunshine sauce (Well Fed).

Sleep: No change

I think I need to eat more during meals. I get hungry a lot in between meals and then start snacking. I also need to stop eating so many nuts. I don't think I'm keeping them in moderation.

Choban Salata (Shepard's Salad) is a Turkish salad. Tomatoes, cucumbers, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil with salt and pepper.

Day 3

Breakfast: Pizza Omelette Muffins & handful pecans and macadamia nuts.

Snack/Pre-workout: Pecans, macadamias (closed handful combined) & Bengal Spice herbal tea (yummy combo! & again with the nuts.

Post-workout/Lunch: Best Chicken, Choban Salata, Velvety Butternut Squash, Larabar

Dinner: Chicken curry with cabbage, caramelized coconut (toasted coconut flakes with cinnamon & salt).

Sleep: More of the same.

Coffee: I haven't had coffee since Monday. Doing pretty good without it actually. I don't think it was really helping much with the fatigue anyway.

Exercise: Did some intervals and wind sprints on the treadmill.

Here is what the Nutrition Workshop Packet says:

Eat three meals a day. Base each meal around your protein source. All protein sources should be roughly the size of your open hand. Fill the rest of your plate with veggies. Occasionally add a small amount of fruit. Add fat as recommended below:

all oils - 1-2 thumb sized portions

all butters - 1-2 thumb sized portions

olives - one open heaping handful

coconut flakes - one open heaping handful

nuts and seeds - one closed handful

avocado - 1/2 - 1

coconut milk - between 1/4 and 1/2 of one 14oz can.

Use this as your baseline, tinker with what works for you.

And, yes, I finally had to give up all nuts and seeds, not because I was particularly sensitive, but because I was over consuming. After reading my food log, my coach had enough. He took them away from me (all forms) and I am glad he did.

Hope this helps…

Looks like I need more of just about everything, except nuts. ;)

Alright, no nuts tomorrow, except for the few pecans that are in the velvety squash recipe. Love that stuff!

Day 4

Breakfast: Chicken sausage and 2 eggs fried in ghee.

Lunch: Chicken thighs, great big salad with olive oil, roasted butternut squash.

Dinner:

Sleep: No improvement. Really looking forward to the day when it does.

Coffee: Doing great. Headaches seem to be gone today.

Day 7 and doing great!

So I've found out a few things about myself. No more Velvety Butternut Squash. It's too darn good and too easy to over-eat. I've also stopped eating nuts. I haven't had any for 3 days and that is a good thing. And I have to keep it easy with the fruit! I had entirely too many strawberries and blueberries over the weekend.

I am so much more aware of my food choices and read every label. The only thing I eat out of a can is coconut milk, out of a jar is coconut oil and ghee. I do have chicken sausage for breakfast, but it is all natural.

Still having trouble sleeping, but I've had issues with that for a long time. I woke up several times last night and feeling a bit groggy, but not as bad as it has been. Hoping for that better sleep that everyone talks about to kick in soon!

Thanks oishi! I'm not, but I ordered some drops. 4000 IU after doing some research on the subject.

I'm starting over with my Whole30. I've learned a lot over the past week and feel like I need to hit reset again. The first thing is that I cannot have nuts. Well, I already knew that because I have diverticulosis and nuts just don't work out too well for me. So since I've been eating a lot of nuts, I feel I need to reset the clock because my poor gut has not had a break. I guess I thought that eating all good foods would negate the affect that nuts have on me, but not the case. I also realized that I have a very strong addiction to sugar. I have to limit the fruits.

So here I go again.

Day 1

Breakfast: Saute garlic, mushrooms and onion with Turkish Seasoning. Added in some roasted spaghetti squash and 3 eggs.

Snack: Medium banana

Lunch: Best chicken with green beans, carrots, spaghetti squash and cumin lime dressing.

Snack: Medium apple (wasn't hungry, so didn't eat it)

Dinner: Well Fed hot plate with broccoli, carrots, cabbage, grass-fed ground beef and best stir fry sauce.

You could try magnesium for the sleeping as well. Dallas and Melissa wrote about it here: http://whole9life.co...ements-part-ii/

I started taking it and love it, but do your own research.

Hope this helps.

Oh' forgot to mention...make sure you are sleeping in a blacked out room with no blinking lights, etc. Get off the TV, computer, iPad, phone, etc awhile before going to bed too.

These suggestions also worked for me.

Day 2

Breakfast: Egg scramble: 3 eggs, spaghetti squash, onion, garlic, mushrooms with some cayenne. 4000 IU Vitamin D3

Snack: Apple

Lunch: Pork shoulder, broccoli, green beans

Dinner: TBD

Sleep: Took Natural Calm last night before bed. No improvement, but I'm sure it will take some time.

Archived