Kale preparations?

chigalpaleo

• Moderators

I melt a tablespoon of coconut oil in a wok and add a handful of chopped onion. Let that cook until soft and then add a big bunch of kale cut into bite-size pieces with kitchen shears. Dust with salt, garlic powder, and something hot like cayenne pepper. Sometimes I add chopped yellow, red, or orange bell pepper. Then add a splash of apple cider vinegar and a little bit of a sweeter balsamic vinegar. Add a handful of dried cranberries. Cover and let wilt down over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Sometimes I add pulled roast beef or chicken. Sometimes I add a handful of macadamia nuts of cashews.

I'm not adding anything new to your list, but I adore kale chips. Basically the ways I prefer to eat kale are as chips and also shredded thin and mixed in with romaine for salads with a thick, creamy (i.e. mayo-based) dressing.

KALE CHIPS FOREVER. Not because they taste like potato chips, but because they are simply the most delicious way to eat kale!!

Hi! We have a traditional dish in my country, where you mash it with potatoes. Of course you can't have them on Whole30, but celeriac is a great substitute! The recipe is here: http://crossfitcatcave.blogspot.nl/2012/10/boerenkool-stamppot-kale-mash.html

Instead of heavy cream & butter, you could use coconut cream & ghee.

It's an amazing hearty dish, especially if you live in a colder area like i do :)

I like to keep kale on hand in the fridge as an ingredient to add to many meals. So I boil it in salt water for 3 minutes to kill the bitterness and then keep it cold in a container. I can eat it straight that way, or use the large leaves to roll up things like roast beef. To use in hot dishes or soup, I will take a handful out and "dice" it into about 1-inch square cuts before adding to the dish.

I like it sauteed or steamed, then I use it as "pasta" because I find that it picks up a lot of sauce.

• Mix with tuna, coarsely chopped fruit (orange sections or diced apple), and a mayo dressing (mayo + vinegar + spices)
  • Put in a bowl and top with chili
  • With over-easy eggs
  • Cook it in bone broth then at the end crack a couple of eggs cracked in and stir (egg-drop soup style) then turn off the heat to let the eggs cook gently
  • After sauteeing meat when there's some grease in the pan and some dark bits (fond), I like to take some moist steamed kale and use it to deglaze the pan. Gives the kale a terrific flavor
  • Sautee in ghee and when it's about half done, pour in some coconut milk and turn up the heat to get the milk hot, then let the kale finish cooking in the coconut milk for a "creamed kale" effect

Teresa

I like it sauteed or steamed, then I use it as "pasta" because I find that it picks up a lot of sauce.

• Mix with tuna, coarsely chopped fruit (orange sections or diced apple), and a mayo dressing (mayo + vinegar + spices)
  • Put in a bowl and top with chili
  • With over-easy eggs
  • Cook it in bone broth then at the end crack a couple of eggs cracked in and stir (egg-drop soup style) then turn off the heat to let the eggs cook gently
  • After sauteeing meat when there's some grease in the pan and some dark bits (fond), I like to take some moist steamed kale and use it to deglaze the pan. Gives the kale a terrific flavor
  • Sautee in ghee and when it's about half done, pour in some coconut milk and turn up the heat to get the milk hot, then let the kale finish cooking in the coconut milk for a "creamed kale" effect

Teresa

Omg, I love the idea of egg drop soup with kale! I am obsessed with soup for breakfast and now I know what I am having tomorrow morning! Thanks!

Archived