Halfway mark!

Nicole

I've been thinking a lot about what happens when the 30 days are up, and I'm having some serious conflicting emotions about it.

Part of me just doesn't want to give up my wine, cheese, and chocolate… I even thought about trying to research an appropriate way to eat these things without having them all the time. Like: how much could I get away with because I still love them…

Then the other part of me is like: party time! I'm eating this strict forever!!

Unfortunately I can't come up with a way to satisfy both feelings… But I do plan to reintroduce these vices and see how my body/mind/etc reacts and then I will take it from there. I always had this lethargic feeling lingering around even though I was paleo for 1 ½ years, and it has gone away in the last 2 weeks! I always knew that it would have been fixed if I just was a bit more careful with my paleo diet, but I was too weak. I feel like now I should be able to approach the naughty food more thoughtfully.

The universe sent me a serious challenge yesterday… A very tempting position, which I am qualified for, to work with wine opened up and I had a personal meltdown/dilemma over it. I seriously want to limit my drinking in the future, but I do still love my wine culture… And if I were to apply for this job, then I would potentially be sacrificing the integrity of my new journey. Sooooo, I'm ignoring the job for now… But I have sent in an application to them before, and would love to work there. It's a tough one.

In other news: I've got so much energy!! I can feel it and yes, the newsletters tell me it will happen, but what is really blowing my mind is that I have been tracking my energy for over a month now (related to girly stuff) and I can see in my charts that my mood and energy has gone from tired, lethargic, grumpy, or sick every day before Whole30, and then suddenly after day 6 of Whole 30, my notes say this every single day: “Energy all day long.†Crazy.

In bad news: my stomach has been hurting for a few days and I don't know why. Last night it was really painful…So last night I came home from work, ate my premade dinner, hung out a bit, then headed off to belly dancing class. No problems in belly dancing… Then I came home and ate some coconut cream and a few blueberries (because we had nothing else…. Bad preparation)… It was only a little bit, and I don't normally have a problem with those two things, so I have no idea what is up… It was an opened can from the fridge so maybe it wasn't fresh? But my husband had some too and he didn't have a problem. But when I went to bed about an hour later I had to lay on my back and asked my husband to get his arm off my stomach because it hurt so much. I've had some ups and downs with my bowel movements in the last few days, so maybe it's just part of my guts sorting itself out? I doubt it is related to belly dancing but I will pay attention to it when I have other classes.

Here's what I've been eating since my last post. If you want to read what I've been eating before this, then go here: http://forum.whole9l...e30-curiosities

Note: I had to make a lot of extra food on day 13 because I knew I wouldn't have time for cooking on day 14 because of belly dancing… so it's pretty much lamb burgers every meal. But they are delicious.

Day 14

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs, coconut oil, colourful silverbeet from my garden, and topped with olive oil

-Coffee

-Green and mint tea

Lunch

-Leftover lamb burger with spinach, tomato salad and paleo aioli

Dinner

-Leftover lamb burger with spinach, tomato salad, and paleo aioli… Plus diced zucchini in coconut oil!

Post workout

-¼ cup coconut cream and blueberries

Day 15 (so far)

Breakfast

-Scrambled eggs, coconut oil, frozen spinach, olive oil

-coffee

Lunch

-Leftover lamb burgers with spinach, tomato salad, and paleo aioli

Dinner

-Haven't got there yet, but we will have: Prime rib roast, with white carrots, and some other veggie I'll be figuring out later. And probably leftover paleo mayo…

-Probably will have a mocktail: slice of lemon, blackberries, and sparkling water.

• Moderators

I think the manufacturers generally warn us to transfer stuff from cans to another container when storing in the refrigerator. That could be the problem and you are simply more vulnerable to problems than your husband.

I like your mocktail!

Sorry to hear about the stomach stuff, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. Have you tried laying off coconut just to see?

I'm on my 6th W30 this month; I do one every three months. During the in-between months I still really struggle with how much to let in wine, dessert, etc. Over time (long time) I can see myself gradually letting in less and less. But I do struggle and am often relieved when it's time for the next Whole30.

There are other people here who seem to do a better job with the off-roading. Some people eat Whole30 on weekdays and let other stuff in on weekends. I usually try to identify occasions--holidays, birthdays, special days ahead of time (I can't just declare today special right now).

The job possibility is really interesting; it does sound like the universe is challenging you!

Good luck with these thoughts; it's a process for all of us. :)

I like your mocktail!

Sorry to hear about the stomach stuff, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. Have you tried laying off coconut just to see?

I'm on my 6th W30 this month; I do one every three months. During the in-between months I still really struggle with how much to let in wine, dessert, etc. Over time (long time) I can see myself gradually letting in less and less. But I do struggle and am often relieved when it's time for the next Whole30.

There are other people here who seem to do a better job with the off-roading. Some people eat Whole30 on weekdays and let other stuff in on weekends. I usually try to identify occasions--holidays, birthdays, special days ahead of time (I can't just declare today special right now).

The job possibility is really interesting; it does sound like the universe is challenging you!

Good luck with these thoughts; it's a process for all of us. :)

Ha! I was just reading your Post Whole30 post!

About the stomach stuff: I just read in the book: It Starts With Food, that it is to be expected that you will have digestive distress during days 8-14! (chapter 18).... Perfect timing on the reading! I'm on day 15 now.

I think that I just need to remember that I feel good right now and hopefully that will keep me strong? I don't know... One day at a time!

Archived