Help - Day 16 and still no joy

SassieM

I am feeling a bit despondent as I have not felt too good right from the start. I have not experienced any happiness..actually I really have a low mood..just not being able to smile naturally and am feeling very low in energy still too. It's like a low grade lethargy. I am now trying to excecise but I revover much less well than normal and am doing a whole lot worse in the energy stakes. I have aloso had an increase in inflammation with an old patch of excema and knee and joint soreness that I haven't had for many months! I am definately loosing fat as I see muscles where the cellulite used to be. I have also had some diarrhea and dizzyness. I can see physical results but am a quite dissapointed that my general wellbeing is worse :-( Any suggestions?? Sarah

Don't be too discouraged--day 16 is still early. How are you doing on carbs? Some people find that adding in some sweet potatoes or beets helps with the mood and low energy you are describing. Also make sure you are getting enough fat (add in some avocado and some coconut oil or coconut milk.

Thanks for the suggestions..I guess the answer is I don't really know, but I think so..I have been eating quite a lot of sweet potato and perhpas a little more fruit than I should. I am certainly eating what i consider to be enough..so like today I had 1 apple and 2 eggs and veggies ( about a cup of sweet potatoes, braised leeks and wilted greens) for breakfast, Then a prawn salad for lunch and then a couple of nectarines and then all 2 pork sausages with cabbage, lime and apple salad for dinner. Oh and I just had a tablespoon of coconut oil..just in case! It's certainly not excessive but I think it's enough.

• Moderators

Our guide to the topic of eating enough is http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf. If you are following this guide, you are on the right path, but some people take longer than others to start feeling good. One reason the plan calls for 30 days is that some people don't start feeling better until the end.

Maybe you can find some happiness in things other than food/exercise to boost your mood...finding funny videos on youtube, playing with my cat, or listening to songs that bring back the eighties always makes me smile :) Also, I've found I get really down if I'm not really enjoying my food or feel like my meals are unbalanced, forced or guided by "shoulds" instead of "I'd really like to eat" ...I'm left kind of unsatisfied and it makes me depressed. I now make an effort to only eat things that make me excited and that I love. Tahini sauce changed my world, as did getting over the fear of carbs and eating pleny of them at every meal. Thinking about the lunch I packed today is making me insanely happy...maybe that's weird but I don't care :) You're doing great and it will get better!

Hello all for your interest and support, suggestions and questions. It's really great to get me thinking of the why and perhaps adjusting things a little. My kids have a book called "where's your smile crocodile" and I feel like I have lost my smile..I want it back!! I have made a commitment and I am certainly not going to give up because there is nothing intolerable.

@ Kisteen..I get a little forgetful with water..so a great reminder, thank you.

@ praxis project..no I have not been keeping a log, I excercise moderately and am only just starting to incorporate some gym work..but I can walk for 2 hours up a mountain and back usually without difficulty, I did a spin class yesterday (for the first time) and was washed out for the rest of the day. I had a large late breakfast an hour before the workout and waited until hungry and had lunch after it. Sleep..well I am sleeping very soundly for around 8-9 hours and waking up sleepy.

@ Tom..the link doesn't seem to work, but I'll try and see if I can find it. I am pretty sure I am sticking to the plan.

@ Flynn.. I am pretty certain that the happiness thing is a neurotransmitter issue..so I am perplexed, and curious as to what is causing it but can override it with logic and understanding in daily life. I have a sense of purpose and hope and motivation, but a "flat" experience of the world. I expereince pleasure internally as more of a "I know these things usually make me happy and are part of my goals and plan in life" but do not actually expereince the ability to smile or experience joy!! Weird.

One thing I am very interested in was a comment in another post about goitergens. I am not aware that I have any thyroid issues, but I have been eating a lot of raw cruciferous vegetables. I have a great recipie for a raw cauliflower "cous cous", I have raw red cabbage salad and my greenhouse is burting at the seems with kale which I chop up and eat like lettuce in my salads. So I am going to cut out cruciferous veggies and see what happens. Sarah

OK, so nothing changed by taking out the kale etc. I feel the same - dull, letharic and tired and now I am bloating and gassy to boot with a coated tongue. I am seriously considering adding in a little bit of rice. I already have sweet potato and fruit as carbs but I think the fruit may be causing the bloating..apples fine..cherries and nectaries not so fine. Perhpas with all that meat fermenting away the fruit can't digest properly. I have read many posts that describe this and for some of us it seems that a gradual approach before getting to a whole 30 might be prudent..ie cutting down the carbs one meal at a time before cutting them out altogether. I think I was kinda doing this previously and felt terrific. Perhpas just overkill. I am so torn as I am very disciplined and made a commitment, but I have such a lot to achieve in life at the moment and I am being less than productive:-( What I really love is the support and feel like I want to continue with the sugar and alcohol abstience but just add a small amount of rice..I realise I will not have completed the whole 30, but perhaps a good experiment none the less?? Any thoughts or suggestions woudl be greatly appreciated.

Archived