Benzoate of soda?

jesmadi

• Moderators

Benzoate of soda or sodium benzoate as a preservative is tolerable if you cannot find something without it. Lots of things cause cancer at high doses or in certain combinations, but that does not mean they routinely provoke cancer in real life.

Full disclosure: I like Texas Pete

Just a word on Benzoates, some people may be intolerant and Sodium Benzoate is clearly linked to asthma in children and in adult onset asthma. If you have excema or asthma it may be worth looking at. I remember reading of a case of a child who had it in her asthma medication!! It took a while, but after excluding it from all food and medication she was asthma free. Some people are more sensitive than others...some may tolerate it with no ill effects, and it can change throughout your life time.. it's quite a personal thing. In my own daughter it made her more sensitive to other foods and chemicals after she had been ill at a young age (1-4) ..with rashes around her mouth and on her body + excema.. but I think she's ok with it now (7).

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Ingredients that aren't specifically disallowed by the rules, aren't mentioned in the Sneaky Sugar list or the Common Additive Cheat Sheet, and that you can't find discussed in a google search (try searching Whole30 plus whatever you're looking for) are okay. These ingredients are okay. There are other hot sauces without those ingredients if you'd prefer to avoid them.

(Also, don't weigh yourself. It's just as important a rule as the rules about what to eat and what not to.)

Archived