Let's talk cashews......

Specifically the roasted, salted kind :)

They're like crack!

I know there's a lot of disagreement on whether or not they're a good choice if you stick to a Paleo template for eating. I don't know how they really affect me personally because I tend to eat too many of them at once, and too much of anything isn't going to make you feel great.

Doing this Whole30 has really drawn my attention to what ''technically-compliant'' foods I want to turn to for mindless snacking, so I'm looking for suggestions/sympathy (LOL) from any cashew-addicts out there as I've decided to kick them to ''very special occasion only'' treats in the future. I know it's not the worst problem to have but hey, talking about this stuff is what the forum is for!

Oh, how I wish Macadamia nuts weren't so expensive........

Oh man, I can totally sympathize, as I am a snack-addict. My first two weeks of my Whole30 were filled with Cashews/Macademias/Almond Butter and raisins....now instead of craving chocolate and candies, I crave raisins, which I feel is utterly ridiculous and I laugh at myself whenever I feel this urge.

That being said, I intellectually realized that stuffing myself full of sugar from dried fruits was not in the spirit of the Whole30 and really aren't the healthiest choices. I also realized that I'm trying to balance my Omega 3 - Omega 6 ratio, and nuts are not helping at all. I want to reduce my inflammation on the Whole30, and to do this successfully I really needed to lay off the nuts and nutbutters.

I finished off my last jar of almond butter a couple days ago and finished off the cashews/raisins (a wonderfully delicious combination made in heaven, BTW) last week. After that point and my realization that I was using them as a crutch for my sugar-addiction, I decided to not buy any during my grocery shopping trips on the Whole30.

If they're not in my house, I can't snack on them. I still want them, but I don't go out and buy them. All of my sympathy goes out to you as I totally understand the cravings!

LOL- you are describing a near identical experience to my own! I liked to add unsweetened shredded coconut to my almond-butter raisin mix ;)

But yeah, I'm on the same boat. Once you identify why you're really eating these things, it becomes harder to justify keeping them in the house.

I found a raw seed mix butter that I keep on hand for adding to curries, but I hate how it tastes on its own so I find I don't consume it like I would almond butter. Win!

I have a few things like that and found it VERY empowering to just kick them to the curb and say " you not gonna rule my life sucka!!!! ". No food is going to have any power over me!

Flash forward as I'm cowering in the corner, sniveling, using my fingers to stuff an entire jar of hazelnut butter into my mouth..... lmao.

I have found that purchasing the raw, unsalted insert your nut of choice is a better option for me than roasted, salted kind. The roasted, salted scream crack to me. You can't stop. A small closed handful of the raw seems do to the trick however!

I have found that purchasing the raw, unsalted insert your nut of choice is a better option for me than roasted, salted kind. The roasted, salted scream crack to me. You can't stop. A small closed handful of the raw seems do to the trick however!

Kel - I do the same thing! It is amazing how roasting and salting something can completely change a reaction in your mouth and mind.

• Moderators

I try to never eat nuts outside of a recipe, but I cook with nuts a lot. I wilt lots of fresh greens with onions and add dried cranberries and nuts and then eat this with pulled beef or chicken. I make lots of tuna or salmon salad and frequently add nuts and dried cranberries. I frequently add dried cranberries and nuts to baked sweet potatoes. I manage to eat a fair amount of nuts, but not as a "snack." Snacks are dangerous.

I try to never eat nuts outside of a recipe, but I cook with nuts a lot. I wilt lots of fresh greens with onions and add dried cranberries and nuts and then eat this with pulled beef or chicken. I make lots of tuna or salmon salad and frequently add nuts and dried cranberries. I frequently add dried cranberries and nuts to baked sweet potatoes. I manage to eat a fair amount of nuts, but not as a "snack." Snacks are dangerous.

I've been doing this too and it's phenomenal. Tuna salad with sunflower seeds, stir fry topped with a few cashews, almond slices in a salad.... Etc. But keep the darn things out of my room or I will eventually succumb to eating them as-is!

You're right about this-- I struggle to eat more than a small handful of raw almonds, for example, and can't stand how raw cashews taste so probably wouldn't bother. I also find that the raw pumpkin seeds I keep for adding to salads, etc, don't get eaten otherwise, so I think trying this tactic with other nuts is a good idea. Thanks for the reminder!

This is a really good point. One of the main struggles I'm having with Whole30 is getting out of the habit of snacking or feeling like I ''need'' a snack. Some days are better than others, but I'm slowly learning. Changing my mindset about nuts (ingredient, not snack) might really help...... thanks!

Archived