Blending Plant-Based and Traditional W30 Plans

Jerzam

I've completed the traditional Whole 30 program a few separate times in the past and found that reintroducing legumes was not problematic for me. I'm planning to do another round in the new year, but I'd like to eat less meat overall. Would it be appropriate to blend the two plans? For example, following the traditional W30 plan for the most part, but substituting legumes in place of animal proteins intermittently. I can't imagine there would be any negative impacts to following that modified plan, but I thought I would check in just in case!

• Moderators

Officially, you wouldn't really be doing a Whole30, because the rules say no legumes on the original plan, and no animal products on the plant-based plan. (The instruction not to combine the two plans is here.)

However, you've done Whole30 before, you know you can eat legumes because you've done reintroduction, so you could certainly decide to do your own 30-day plan that follows rules that you have made for yourself. I would argue that this is totally in keeping with what Whole30 ultimately wants everyone to do -- figure out what works for you, and then eat the way that makes you feel best. 

16 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Officially, you wouldn't really be doing a Whole30, because the rules say no legumes on the original plan, and no animal products on the plant-based plan. (The instruction not to combine the two plans is here.)

However, you've done Whole30 before, you know you can eat legumes because you've done reintroduction, so you could certainly decide to do your own 30-day plan that follows rules that you have made for yourself. I would argue that this is totally in keeping with what Whole30 ultimately wants everyone to do -- figure out what works for you, and then eat the way that makes you feel best. 

Thank you!