Whole January

KalinaM

I'm starting my 4th whole 30 on Jan 2!! Previously done 3 times-- felt great and each time my food relationship improved for longer stretches. "Cured" my infertility (I now have 2 beautiful children) and found my gluten intolerance with my previous 3. This time-- I'm looking to see what might be adding to anxiety and also better improve my relationship with food as I've started falling off the wagon more and more with "junk" ingredients. Who's with me?!?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kalina!

I'll be joining ya for your 1/2/23 start date. I usually do a whole30 reset every 6 months BUT the last time I attempted to do it (would have been reset #6 for me)- was at the end of August 2021 (which is well over a year ago at this point). I got through 10 days and then our refrigerator bit the dust. TONS of meals ruined and we couldn't get a replacement fridge for a week. So I just stopped mid-reset and never started up again :wacko: But I'm so due to get my body and health back on track...I've strayed from the path for too long! I need to make smarter choices and hoping this reset will help jumpstart a healthier year of eating for me. Excited to join you!

• Like 1

Hey, Lauren! Glad to have an accountability buddy. That stinks about your last attempt going awry with the broken fridge. Hope this round will be successful for you.

How's prep going for you? I just finished planning five meals to batch cook over the weekend for the first week. Hoping I have leftovers aplenty! I figure if I do one slow cooker, one instant pot, one stove top and two oven recipes, I should have plenty of options for the week. Will fill in breakfast with eggs, sweet potato hash and steam in a bag veggies. Getting close!

Hello! My name is Adam and I will be doing whole30 along with you all! I’ll stay in touch wherever ppl joining in for January will be here on the forum. Looks like most ppl are starting the 2nd, but I’ve been planning on the 1st. I completed whole30 once a few years back, and did it for 25 days between this thanksgiving and Christmas. 

look forward to the support and success! My recent 25 days the first week I was having headaches, feeling grumpy and like I was in sugar withdrawal. After that I got my healthy energy back, less napping, less depression, more productive, slept better etc and want to get back to that, and on a permanent lifestyle level. Whole30 in January is just the start of a big and healthy change for me, and I hope for all of you too! 

Adam

• Administrators
On 12/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, AdamzW30 said:

After that I got my healthy energy back, less napping, less depression, more productive, slept better etc and want to get back to that, and on a permanent lifestyle level.

That all sounds great, @AdamzW30! You're in the right spot on the forum for January Whole30!

• Like 1

I'll be joining you all on the Whole30 this January with my husband.  We were going to start Jan 1, but figure we'll make it a Monday start. This will be my 4th Whole30 (although I ended the second Whole30 a day early on day 30 with a bachelorette party). I have been TTC  for about 7 months now, and I have discovered that I have long cycles, some of which are anovulatory.  During my previous Whole30s, I had an IUD in and wasn't getting periods or tracking my cycle, so I'm hoping that I'll discover that Whole30 helps regulate my cycle. Regardless, I need something to get me into a good diet/exercise mindset and I find that Whole30 normally helps get me thinking about my body more than I have been

Going to spend today cleaning out my pantry, fridge and freezer to prep for the month. Then we're going to Costco for some basics (eggs and mayo, mainly).  I'll probably pick out some recipes and plan the meals for the next week as well. We're saving the trip to Whole Foods and the grocery store for Sunday.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 7:10 PM, Laurenacc said:

Hi Kalina!

I'll be joining ya for your 1/2/23 start date. I usually do a whole30 reset every 6 months BUT the last time I attempted to do it (would have been reset #6 for me)- was at the end of August 2021 (which is well over a year ago at this point). I got through 10 days and then our refrigerator bit the dust. TONS of meals ruined and we couldn't get a replacement fridge for a week. So I just stopped mid-reset and never started up again :wacko: But I'm so due to get my body and health back on track...I've strayed from the path for too long! I need to make smarter choices and hoping this reset will help jumpstart a healthier year of eating for me. Excited to join you!

I love the idea of doing it every 6 months. Im excited to heal my body. If all goes well I will shoot for doing every 6 months too. 

Hi. New to this and starting Jan 3. Taking this weekend to read my Whole30 book and get my kitchen in order. I also have the Day by Day book hoping it helps keep me on track. Good luck everyone! I’ll be checking back here for sure during next 30 days! 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 12:40 PM, ____Emily____ said:

I'll be joining you all on the Whole30 this January with my husband.  We were going to start Jan 1, but figure we'll make it a Monday start. This will be my 4th Whole30 (although I ended the second Whole30 a day early on day 30 with a bachelorette party). I have been TTC  for about 7 months now, and I have discovered that I have long cycles, some of which are anovulatory.  During my previous Whole30s, I had an IUD in and wasn't getting periods or tracking my cycle, so I'm hoping that I'll discover that Whole30 helps regulate my cycle. Regardless, I need something to get me into a good diet/exercise mindset and I find that Whole30 normally helps get me thinking about my body more than I have been

Going to spend today cleaning out my pantry, fridge and freezer to prep for the month. Then we're going to Costco for some basics (eggs and mayo, mainly).  I'll probably pick out some recipes and plan the meals for the next week as well. We're saving the trip to Whole Foods and the grocery store for Sunday.

Hi, Amy! I got pregnant with my son during my first whole 30. It definitely healed me the way I needed to conceive! And we had been trying for seven years before this happened. It's not a guarantee, we tried another whole 30 to conceive our second and it didn't work, (we did eventually have #2, just not with a whole 30) but hopefully it'll get your body in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 1:49 AM, AdamzW30 said:

Hello! My name is Adam and I will be doing whole30 along with you all! I’ll stay in touch wherever ppl joining in for January will be here on the forum. Looks like most ppl are starting the 2nd, but I’ve been planning on the 1st. I completed whole30 once a few years back, and did it for 25 days between this thanksgiving and Christmas. 

look forward to the support and success! My recent 25 days the first week I was having headaches, feeling grumpy and like I was in sugar withdrawal. After that I got my healthy energy back, less napping, less depression, more productive, slept better etc and want to get back to that, and on a permanent lifestyle level. Whole30 in January is just the start of a big and healthy change for me, and I hope for all of you too! 

Adam

Hi, Adam! Good luck to you starting tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Hi, Amy! I got pregnant with my son during my first whole 30. It definitely healed me the way I needed to conceive! And we had been trying for seven years before this happened. It's not a guarantee, we tried another whole 30 to conceive our second and it didn't work, (we did eventually have #2, just not with a whole 30) but hopefully it'll get your body in the right direction.

Hi there! I’m starting tomorrow (Jan 2) and also got pregnant while on a Whole30, back in 2016. 

I used to do them just about every year but life has gotten in the way with two young kids (6 and 3 years old) and my last couple of attempts haven’t gone well. I’ve been dealing with a lot of fatigue, reflux, poor sleep, and frequent headaches so I know my body is telling me to buckle down and do a good round. I also need to really focus on reintroduction this time. I know that I feel better on W30 but I don’t have easily identifiable sensitivities—no immediate reactions when I add things back in. But after a few weeks I’m back to feeling crappy. This time I want to do a “slow roll” reintroduction and really try to pinpoint the culprit(s).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Hi, Adam! Good luck to you starting tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Hola! I'm just going to start the 2nd with everyone, no big deal. Makes sense too with it falling on a Monday. I'm really excited. Just step one, in a lot of nutritional changes I'm going to implement. Happy New Year! 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, Terez R said:

Hi. New to this and starting Jan 3. Taking this weekend to read my Whole30 book and get my kitchen in order. I also have the Day by Day book hoping it helps keep me on track. Good luck everyone! I’ll be checking back here for sure during next 30 days! 

Awesome! We will all be here in support!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CGinDC said:

Hi there! I’m starting tomorrow (Jan 2) and also got pregnant while on a Whole30, back in 2016. 

I used to do them just about every year but life has gotten in the way with two young kids (6 and 3 years old) and my last couple of attempts haven’t gone well. I’ve been dealing with a lot of fatigue, reflux, poor sleep, and frequent headaches so I know my body is telling me to buckle down and do a good round. I also need to really focus on reintroduction this time. I know that I feel better on W30 but I don’t have easily identifiable sensitivities—no immediate reactions when I add things back in. But after a few weeks I’m back to feeling crappy. This time I want to do a “slow roll” reintroduction and really try to pinpoint the culprit(s).

Awesome! It'll be nice when you make it over the hump, and start getting some more energy I'm sure. And, yeah, reintroduction will be a good thing, to see what affects you. I'm going to try and slow things too with you, and see what really makes me lag. Adam

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KalinaM said:

I got pregnant with my son during my first whole 30. It definitely healed me the way I needed to conceive! And we had been trying for seven years before this happened. It's not a guarantee, we tried another whole 30 to conceive our second and it didn't work, (we did eventually have #2

12 hours ago, CGinDC said:

Hi there! I’m starting tomorrow (Jan 2) and also got pregnant while on a Whole30, back in 2016

This is what I like to hear!

Good luck to everyone on Day 1 tomorrow!  I'm about to go hard boil a bunch of eggs in my new Instapot (Christmas gift).  Hardboiled eggs are my go-to breakfast. I've lately been skipping breakfast, but I know I need to start my day off well to get through the day.  I always really struggle with the sugar withdrawal during week 1 and I'm aiming to not rely on fruits to feed the dragon this time.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 8:58 AM, CGinDC said:

@KalinaM were we in the same group in 2016? Your name looks really familiar and I think I remember when you shared you had gotten pregnant too!

Yes!!!! I remember you too! We both got pregnant that round. That was my first round. I've done two more, this is day one of round 4. So crazy our babies are 6 now!

7 minutes ago, KalinaM said:

Yes!!!! I remember you too! We both got pregnant that round. That was my first round. I've done two more, this is day one of round 4. So crazy our babies are 6 now!

Such a small world, that's wild. I did a good round when my son was about a year, but since my daughter was born I've really struggled finishing a 100% compliant one. I know I'll feel better though, so I'm motivated to do it right this time!

So I the last two days I batch cooked six meals. Don't have a specific meal plan to follow as I did my last whole 30s, but at least this way I can choose from six meals and fill in gaps as needed. I'm not sure I had enough fat for dinner to keep me full through to breakfast... I had compliant meatballs, sauce and zoodles. When I realized I didn't have a fat, I grabbed some olives, but not sure I had enough. I guess time will tell! If I'm hungry before bed, I'll give myself grace to have a small snack to keep me through the night and try better tomorrow.

@CGinDC I haven't done a round since my daughter was born, either! She's two and a half now. I did two rounds when my son was younger, one when he was one and one when he was two. I agree, the benefits are worth trying for a complete round!

@AdamzW30 hope you enjoyed your hike! 

@____Emily____ hard boiled eggs ahead of time are always a good idea! 

@Amysmiles how did your first day go??

Anyone else I may be forgetting, let us know how you are doing starting out!

• Like 1

Day one went well for me. I woke up late since it's a holiday and wound up having scrambled eggs with peppers and onions for brunch. Went to the gym for a little strength training and had a Chomps meat stick to tide me over to dinner (also snacked on some beets while cooking dinner).  For dinner we had hot wings and roasted potato wedges. Today honestly felt easy, but I'm sure the sugar withdrawals will hit me soon

• Like 1

Day one could have been better. My in laws were over for dinner last night and we overindulged in the mixed drinks, so I had a bit of a hangover today. Not exactly the best way to start! But I had hard boiled eggs and ginger squash soup for breakfast. I made the soup with squash from my garden this summer and stuck it in the freezer thinking it would come in handy for a W30, and it sure did! I have another 2 servings in the freezer. I topped it with a good drizzle of homemade chili crunch oil (also with chilies from the garden). Lunch was chicken salad with celery, grapes, and walnuts over greens, and dinner was leftover lamb leg (from last night, made sure we made it compliant so we'd be able to eat the leftovers) and collards - again with chili oil. I didn't eat quite enough today and was hungry, so I just had some more squash soup with a little dollop of mayo and a compliant meat stick.

I'll try to keep more to the template tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a good night's sleep tonight and it'll be easier to really pay attention to my portions. I've got onions and red peppers already diced to sautee with hashbrowns and will have that with eggs or sausage (or a combo of the two). Lunch will be chicken salad again I think, and we've got a bunch of relatively easy options for dinner.

Hope everyone is finishing out the day on a good note!

• Like 1

Day 2 is going well enough, I suppose! I slept really well last night, but I also had a chiropractic appointment yesterday and I usually sleep really well those nights anyway. I did NOT need to have a snack before bed last night, so I'm stoked about that.  I woke up feeling really good and then right after lunch, brain fog hit me hard. Not sure if it's withdrawal or seriously, the weather. It's been raining nonstop the last few days and I think a front is coming through? Not sure. Had chicken, lime, avocado soup for breakfast, found in the W30 slow cooker cookbook. It was delicious and always surprisingly liberating to have non-breakfast foods for breakfast.

CG- your chicken salad sounds good! I found a recipe that I've used in the past that uses Tahini for the "sauce" it's really good-- I'll have to put that on a to be made list for some Sunday batch cooking. Do you use Mayo or what for your chicken salad? 

Emily what did you use to season your roasted potatoes? I'm always looking for new ideas.

Welcome, Artemis!! Hope day one and two went well for you.

After work, I'll eat some Chili I had batch cooked on Sunday with salad. Can't decide if I should make a Green Goddess dressing I've found in one of the W30 books before or an oil/vinegar dressing. I guess I'll see what I'm in the mood for when I get home! :) 

• Like 1

Day 2 has been ROUGH for me.  I expected this as I normally eat a bunch of sugar so going off it suddenly always hits me hard, usually gives me brain fog and a headache. I also had to go into my office today, which meant I had to get up about 1.5 hours earlier than normal and was surrounded by tempting noncompliant foods. I keep candy in my office for coworkers, so I was staring at that bowl pretty much all day lol. From experience, I know that I won't be tempted by that next week as my cravings are really only intense during week 1. 

I give myself grace during hard days like today and let myself have snacks I normally wouldn't, so for today that meant Solely: Mango and Orange Gummies and Pure Organics Layered Fruit Bars.  I actually had both of those in my pantry from pre-Whole30 and was surprised to find they were compliant.  I'm viewing them a bit like Lara Bars - technically the ingredients are compliant, but I'll avoid making them a normal part of my Whole30 round.  After an evening of snacking, I'm now sipping away on some tea and hoping that'll kill the intense desire to eat sweets lol. Looking forward to having a better day tomorrow

5 hours ago, KalinaM said:

Emily what did you use to season your roasted potatoes? I'm always looking for new ideas

I was pretty tame with my potato seasoning - olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.  I dip them in compliant ketchup normally, but I bought the Primal Kitchen ranch dip for our hot wings and wound up dipping the wedges in that instead. 

5 hours ago, KalinaM said:

After work, I'll eat some Chili I had batch cooked on Sunday with salad.

Batch cooking seems like a good idea! My husband and I have found some decent and easy meals we rely on, but it'd be nice to be able to just reheat something filling for dinner