Whole January

KalinaM

33 minutes ago, Niya said:

Sooo my hardest days are NOW. My body is starting to trust me that I really mean it about health. I'm getting regular sleep and digestion is happy for the first time in forever. But the cravings are HUGE. Chocolate, bread, butter. OMG! The fantasies are driving me nuts. I thought I would be in the opposite place. But not breaking my stride. I've come this far. Also, I'm pretty sure - zero - weight loss. Though that was my secondary reason, it's a little disappointing. Probably will happen slowly by sticking with it.

Niya, I'm totally in the same place! The past couple of days have been HARD. Last night I came really close to giving in to the cravings - I hung in there, but barely. Today I feel much better - and so glad I didn't give in.  And good on your for staying with it, too!  

And I don't think I've lost any weight either - my clothes aren't fitting any differently. I don't have a ton to lose but I was hoping I'd lose just a couple of pounds. Like you said, not the primary reason for doing W30, but it would be a nice side benefit. I'm trying to focus on my non-scale victories - improvement with GI issues, sleeping WAY better, and just generally feeling healthier.

• Like 1

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I was super busy - I've been doing training to volunteer as a community tax preparer (plus I had a couple of book clubs). On Saturday I left my house at 8am and didn't get back until 9pm.  I really wanted to give up to be honest, especially at my evening book club, which was held at a cool food hall.  But I ate a couple hard boiled eggs before I went, and just ordered a tea to have while everyone else had drinks and dinner. 

Also, halfway through as of today! 

• Like 3

Downhill slope!! Woohoo! Although, I'm feeling kind of discouraged. The past two days I've had slight digestive/bathroom issues in the morning and bloating at night. Something I'm eating? Still getting over illness? PMS because my cycle is near? Who knows. I may end up extending this to a whole45 if things don't turn around in the next day or so. And I may end up looking into FODMAPS for that extra 15 if needed. Sigh-- so discouraged because of that.

My mind is very clear, once I manage to fall asleep, I sleep soundly and cravings have definitely gone away. So hooray for NSV!!

How is everyone else doing at day 16?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KalinaM said:

Halfway there, woo hoo!

Things have been okay. Cravings have been minimal but we've been in a bit of a recipe rut. Wing night Friday was great - I tossed the wings in arrowroot flour with a few seasonings, put them in the air fryer for about 15 minutes, then tossed them in the Primal buffalo sauce, and put them in for another few minutes - delicious. Other than that I've been underwhelmed with what we're cooking. Last night I had my first food dream, but it was about alcohol. I was with a friend who currently lives in Honduras and figured it was fine to have a few drinks with her since she was out of town. The first few times I did a W30 the food dreams were so intense.

I am sleeping more soundly once I get to sleep but I still can't manage to get myself in bed before 11. And I am waking up to pee a couple times a night, which is annoying - even when I stop liquids by 7:00. What gives? So even though I'm in bed for 8 hours I'm only getting about 6.5-7 hours of sleep, and it isn't enough. My sleep tracker app consistently shows I get above normal light sleep and below normal deep sleep, so I do think it's important I'm actually sleeping (not just in bed, but sleeping) for 8 hours. It's tough with young kids, after they go to bed is the only time I have to myself and to connect with my husband so I often end up staying up too late. @KalinaM do you struggle with this at all?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Niya said:

Sooo my hardest days are NOW. My body is starting to trust me that I really mean it about health. I'm getting regular sleep and digestion is happy for the first time in forever. But the cravings are HUGE. Chocolate, bread, butter. OMG! The fantasies are driving me nuts. I thought I would be in the opposite place. But not breaking my stride. I've come this far. Also, I'm pretty sure - zero - weight loss. Though that was my secondary reason, it's a little disappointing. Probably will happen slowly by sticking with it.

Hate to admit it, but weight loss (or at least, kicking off healthier habits that can lead to weight loss) was a secondary goal for me too. I think I've probably dropped the extra holiday pounds but would like to lose some of the extra weight I've been carrying ever since I had my kids. I like that the standard response from the W30 people on that is that if you have weight to lose, you will likely lose some. And that rapid weight loss is never sustainable. It's hard to remind myself of that but it is true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

Downhill slope!! Woohoo! Although, I'm feeling kind of discouraged. The past two days I've had slight digestive/bathroom issues in the morning and bloating at night. Something I'm eating? Still getting over illness? PMS because my cycle is near? Who knows. I may end up extending this to a whole45 if things don't turn around in the next day or so. And I may end up looking into FODMAPS for that extra 15 if needed. Sigh-- so discouraged because of that.

My mind is very clear, once I manage to fall asleep, I sleep soundly and cravings have definitely gone away. So hooray for NSV!!

For what it's worth, I did FODMAP elimination a year and a half ago and it's somewhat complicated - there are some foods you can't eat at all, some you can only eat in small amounts, it matters what combination of foods you eat.... I wouldn't recommend trying to do it in conjunction with Whole30. Just my two cents. 

But hopefully you'll start feeling better in the next couple of days and won't need to do it at all!

• Like 2

In reading through all of these today, it seems many of us are hitting a deeper level of healing. I'm still not feeling great but stubbornly hanging in there. I do like the feeling of nourishment. But starting to add more fresh veggies vs. roasted and less meat. I think I just need a lighter version. So experimenting with more shrimp and sauces etc. Plus, it's freezing and raining - work outs are harder. I do everything outside vs. a gym. A long bucolic walk would help right now. And I'm looking into FODMAP elimination Shiela. And gut issue education. Sending you all good energy. Hang in there. 

1 hour ago, Niya said:

In reading through all of these today, it seems many of us are hitting a deeper level of healing. I'm still not feeling great but stubbornly hanging in there. I do like the feeling of nourishment. But starting to add more fresh veggies vs. roasted and less meat. I think I just need a lighter version. So experimenting with more shrimp and sauces etc. Plus, it's freezing and raining - work outs are harder. I do everything outside vs. a gym. A long bucolic walk would help right now. And I'm looking into FODMAP elimination Shiela. And gut issue education. Sending you all good energy. Hang in there. 

If you need a good shrimp recipe recommendation, I made this recipe yesterday for dinner and it was DELICIOUS! https://whatgreatgrandmaate.com/paleo-shrimp-pad-thai/ Even my husband said we could make it again and he's very picky about his pad thai! (I couldn't find compliant fish sauce, so just used extra coconut aminos for the recipe) 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:56 AM, CGinDC said:

@KalinaM do you struggle with this at all?

Ohmygoodness, so much yes! I can totally feel this. My husband and I work completely opposite schedules so that one of us is home with the kids. So we VERY RARELY have alone time, or time at all together! I'm lucky if I sleep 11pm- 6am and that's IF my kids don't wake up scared, sick, wet, etc. Not ideal, I know, but I'm not sure what else to do honestly!

***TMI warning***

Good news for me!! I believe my couple days of stomach upset and bloat are totally to blame on my cycle starting! Once the flo began, I almost felt instantly deflated from the bloating (I mean, really, I could tell it was subsiding quickly) and my stomach issues disappeared, too! HOORAY! It stared 3 days earlier than expected this month ,which isn't totally out of the ordinary, but it did catch me by surprise. Anyway, I think my body uses my cycle for detox when I'm doing whole30, because this has happened in past rounds as well. So, the REALLY GOOD NEWS for me is that I'm finally feeling over the hump! Not great yet, because of my cycle, but trending upward. And I'm not fearing I might have FODMAP sensitivities anymore. Woot!

• Like 1

I had the first great night's sleep last night. And am now having regular BM's which is amazing for me because I have IBS. The only thing I'm struggling with now is a sense of heaviness - fullness that isn't super comfortable. My metabolism is slow and this feels like a lot of food. My hope is that my metabolism will speed up in time. I swim 4 x's a week and walk as often as possible. Yesterday, I drank more bone broth and feeling more energy today. And cutting down on meat proportions is helping a bit. Hope you all are doing fabulously.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:04 PM, KalinaM said:

***TMI warning***

Good news for me!! I believe my couple days of stomach upset and bloat are totally to blame on my cycle starting! Once the flo began, I almost felt instantly deflated from the bloating (I mean, really, I could tell it was subsiding quickly) and my stomach issues disappeared, too! HOORAY! It stared 3 days earlier than expected this month ,which isn't totally out of the ordinary, but it did catch me by surprise. Anyway, I think my body uses my cycle for detox when I'm doing whole30, because this has happened in past rounds as well. So, the REALLY GOOD NEWS for me is that I'm finally feeling over the hump! Not great yet, because of my cycle, but trending upward. And I'm not fearing I might have FODMAP sensitivities anymore. Woot!

So funny, same thing happened to me this morning—2 days early. I’m feeling crappy because I have a cold but hoping once my cycle is over and I’ve kicked this virus I’ll be feeling amazing! I made a big pot of chicken veggie soup the other day and that’s been 50% of my meals this week. Just needing that comfort food.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:04 PM, KalinaM said:

It stared 3 days earlier than expected this month ,which isn't totally out of the ordinary, but it did catch me by surprise

3 hours ago, CGinDC said:

So funny, same thing happened to me this morning—2 days early

Not sure if either of you all are on the Whole30 subreddit on Reddit, but there was a discussion about that over there as well.  Apparently it's a common side affect.  Since I'm tracking my cycle so closely since I'm TTC, I'll be interested to see if it's going to shorten my luteal phase (I hope not since I already have a luteal phase of only 10-11 days, which is on the short side of normal). I did just successfully ovulate this cycle on CD23, which is earlier than its been lately (last time I ovulated was on CD32 and then I had an entire 36-day anovulatory cycle). Based on my normal timing, I should start my period in the last couple of days of this Whole30 so we'll see

Day 21! How'd this happen so fast? Feeling pretty good. Wishing the tiger blood would be more forceful. I do have a bit more energy and some NSV, but nothing like a switch flipped. Also starting the "I'm so over this" part of the timeline for sure. I am still only getting 6.5 /7 hours of sleep, not sure what to do about that. I fall asleep around 11/11:30 and then wake up at 5:30 or so and can't get back to sleep. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 11:13 AM, Niya said:

I had the first great night's sleep last night. And am now having regular BM's which is amazing for me because I have IBS. The only thing I'm struggling with now is a sense of heaviness - fullness that isn't super comfortable. My metabolism is slow and this feels like a lot of food. My hope is that my metabolism will speed up in time. I swim 4 x's a week and walk as often as possible. Yesterday, I drank more bone broth and feeling more energy today. And cutting down on meat proportions is helping a bit. Hope you all are doing fabulously.

I was finding it to be too much food, too. I had to abandon the portion size recommendations and just try to keep my protein-carb-fat proportions as close to "ideal" as I can. There are a lot of meals where I only manage two of the three macro-nutrients--trying to be better about that.

17 minutes ago, KalinaM said:

Day 21! How'd this happen so fast? Feeling pretty good. Wishing the tiger blood would be more forceful. I do have a bit more energy and some NSV, but nothing like a switch flipped. Also starting the "I'm so over this" part of the timeline for sure. I am still only getting 6.5 /7 hours of sleep, not sure what to do about that. I fall asleep around 11/11:30 and then wake up at 5:30 or so and can't get back to sleep. 

That's a bummer about the sleep - that's been the one real victory I've had, sleeping all the way through the night, for 8-9 hours. I'm feeling generally better but, like you, no big "ah-ha" kind of thing. Maybe it's still to come - or maybe I'll just have to be satisfied with my small victories, I guess!

1 hour ago, KalinaM said:

"I'm so over this" part of the timeline for sure. I am still only getting 6.5 /7 hours of sleep, not sure what to do about that. I fall asleep around 11/11:30 and then wake up at 5:30 or so and can't get back to sleep. 

I hear you. I started going to bed earlier that helped a bit. As well as magnesium and powdered vit. C. Also, I started a week early so am beginning to reintroduce. The only thing I have introduced is butter. I was surprised how much of a lift that gave me. On the other hand no sugar, wine or bread cravings. Sending you lots of good energy Kalina. Food testing from a naturpath helped me. i was surprised by a few things. You may have something going on with some of the foods in W30. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sheila B said:

I was finding it to be too much food, too. I had to abandon the portion size recommendations and just try to keep my protein-carb-fat proportions as close to "ideal" as I can. There are a lot of meals where I only manage two of the three macro-nutrients--trying to be better about that.

Me too. I had to portion control a bit. I was getting a heavy feeling and even depression. Some of it may have been detoxing because I'm feeling pretty good now. 

I'm getting to the point where I'm both ready to be done and also thinking I could do this forever.  It's feeling easy, but also I am bored with food in general.

Went to a book club at a wine bar and got peppermint tea.  I really miss wine, lol.  Someone else in the group is doing Whole30 as well so it was fun to talk about.  Also spent this morning at a coffee shop, which I do every Sunday morning; today the coffee shop smelled so strongly of cinnamon rolls.  I've never gotten a cinnamon roll from that coffee shop before (and I've been going every Sunday for over 5 years now), but they smelled pretty tempting today, lol

I'm also struggling with the rule against weighing yourself/measuring.  I can tell I've lost weight/inches and I'm so ready to see how much!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ____Emily____ said:

I'm getting to the point where I'm both ready to be done and also thinking I could do this forever.  It's feeling easy, but also I am bored with food in general.

I hear you on this. It's gotten a lot easier to just throw something together out of what's in the fridge, but I'm also feeling kind of blah with meals lately. I had a couple cooking fails yesterday, which sucks because I'm not going to throw out food just because I'm not happy with it. The one exception with that is the roasted butternut I made with dinner last night that tasted like dish soap - not eating that. I think I hadn't rinsed the pan or the silicone mat well enough when I did the dishes. It was the last two squash from my summer garden so it was really disappointing. 

My cold is just about gone, which is a relief. Now to make sure I'm continuing to get decent sleep (7.5-8 hours for the last four nights, which is a freaking miracle) and not slacking off on making sure I'm following the template. A couple times over the weekend I found myself skimping on the veggies because we didn't have a lot already made. Also going to try to get more movement into my week. I had made a good start but was so worn out last week from being sick that I only did my pilates class on Saturday, and nothing else. I'm aiming for doing at least something - even just a 15 minutes walk outside - ~3 days a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGinDC said:

Also going to try to get more movement into my week. I had made a good start but was so worn out last week from being sick that I only did my pilates class on Saturday, and nothing else. I'm aiming for doing at least something - even just a 15 minutes walk outside - ~3 days a week.

Every Whole30, I've made it a goal to get more movement and then I never do.  I think I've been to the gym like 4-5 times all month.  Thinking about trying to do C25K starting in February or March once it starts warming up.  I just live such a sedentary life since I WFH most days now and drive into work (before the pandemic, I took public transit and walked to work 5 days a week, which netted me at least 8000 steps a day), so I need to find a way to routinely incorporate movement into my day

On 1/23/2023 at 11:37 AM, ____Emily____ said:

Every Whole30, I've made it a goal to get more movement and then I never do.  I think I've been to the gym like 4-5 times all month.  Thinking about trying to do C25K starting in February or March once it starts warming up.  I just live such a sedentary life since I WFH most days now and drive into work (before the pandemic, I took public transit and walked to work 5 days a week, which netted me at least 8000 steps a day), so I need to find a way to routinely incorporate movement into my day

I find it so overwhelming with meal prepping and batch cooking that I also never get more into the movement portion! Oh well- good idea though about being more intentional with walks when the weather gets a bit warmer! 

I'm finally feeling like I am doing a whole30! I am still contemplating extending to 45 days since it just kicked in the last day or two. Between the detox, a virus and a nasty menstrual cycle, my body is finally "over the hump" and I would like it to last more than just 10 days or so! So--- as much as I'm "over this" I'm also seriously considering two more weeks to enjoy having energy.

It's still not like feeling I have boundless energy-- but I surprised myself the last few days with how much I got accomplished. Much more than previous to do lists, so-- even though I don't feel like I have boundless energy, I apparently do have lots of energy! Know what I mean? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KalinaM said:

I'm finally feeling like I am doing a whole30! I am still contemplating extending to 45 days since it just kicked in the last day or two.

Same here. Just kicked in the last few days. Technically I'm not on Whole 30 anymore, I introduced butter after the 30 days (I started early). But I have no cravings anymore. Especially sugar just feels like too much. Huge for me since I was eating some kind of chocolate or something daily before this. Also, I tried half and half the other day in my coffee. No bueno. But I have decided to stay whole 30 for awhile. Reintroduce very slowly over the next month. Otherwise, I know I will drift back into old habits and I want this to settle in as my new lifestyle. I like the way I feel.

• Like 2