Coconut Milk

Ainsley

Just wondering if I should be buying the full fat coconut milk or the reduced calorie version. Both have the same ingredients. Both are the kind in the can (no sugar of course) The reduced cal version has 60% less calories I believe. I am hoping to shed some pounds too so am wondering which is best? I am on day 3 of whole30 and feeling great. Made the moroccan fish recipe last night and it was sooooo good! Coconut milk makes everything taste better (even fish!)

Ainsley

I never feel it's worth buying the low calorie as all they have is more water to coconut. I'd rather get the full fat stuff, personally I think it's better for you as we need the fats, but even if i wanted it thinner, I could add my own water instead of paying for it :)

• Moderators

No. Don't add water and thin it out. You need fat in your food to lose weight. It may not make sense to you, but eating low fat messes your hormones up and makes it harder to lose weight.

The Whole30 Success Stories you can find on this site are based upon people eating plenty of fat, not cutting it as much as possible.

The only reason I have bought light was from Trader Joes and I only used it in my morning cup of coffee. It's only 99¢ and I like the way it mixed into my coffee better. I'm not drinking coffee for my W100, but my daughter is so she still buys it. I also didn't think of it as a significant fat so I made sure I got plenty of other fat with my morning meal. I was out of whole fat coconut milk once and tried to use it in a recipe. Too thin and watery. Blech! :)

I tried to put coconut milk into my coffee (with vanilla) and absolutly hated it. So I ended up giving up my coffee. But what I did start doing to incorporate some of the fats, was using it to make mashed sweet potatos. Helps to make the potatos nice and creamy, but I can't taste the coconut milk!

Archived