Sign in to follow this  
msmirnio

Cooking-fat count as fat serving?

Hi Folks,

I had a difficult time deciphering this in ISWF - (ad nauseum dislcaimer) you're supposed to eat 1+ serving of fat at each of your 3 meals. However, there was something about NOT including your cooking fats in that number I think (correct me if I'm wrong, that'll be easy enough!).

So for example this morning I ate sausage, brussle sprouts and sweet potato hash which was cooked in 1 tbsp ghee. I consider that my fat for the meal. Obviously I could go up and have 1/2 avocado or drizzle some evoo if I want more but does the 1 tbsp of ghee as cooking oil count as my fat serving for Meal 1? Or should I not include cooking fats in that count?

Thank you!

You probably can't get all the fat you need from cooking oils, so it is important to add avocado, olives, coconut, etc. to some meals. However, you don't have to add extra fat at every meal. And sometimes your meat has good fat content. These things average out over time. Focus most on preparing a tasty meal and things will probably be good over time.

Your sausage at breakfast is probably a good source of fat, so your overall meal cooked with ghee was probably fine on the fat content. If you were eating lean chicken breast, you would probably do well to add some olives to increase the fat content.

Oh wow, thanks for posting this! I've totally been doing it wrong, assuming the coconut oil I cook my eggs and veggies in counts as my fat. No wonder I haven't been making it to lunch!