Missed Meals

Hi I'm really new and probably make lots of mistakes but am trying in earnest to follow all the rules to the letter. Here's my latest problem, I had to make a last minute trip for work during the day that I didn't expect it to last the entire day. So I didn't have my lunch with me. By the time I was back to where suitable food was around me it was dinner time. If I miss a meal should I double portions. I was truly really hungry. Also unrelated, but I'm confused about bone broth. Does this count as a protein? What is an appropriate serving of it? Or how should I incorperate it into my diet? I'm on day 15 and feeling really great btw.

Thanks so much!

I wouldn't double up on portions if I missed a meal, but just eat until you're satisfied....well perhaps a few bites before you feel satisfied! This experience is a good reminder of why we should keep some compliant, non perishable foods, on hand. I went to a baby shower last weekend and knew that there was not going to be much I could eat, I packed a strip of compliant jerky and a container of nuts so I could know I'd have something to eat.

As far as bone broth goes, I use it in cooking and occasionally as an addition to breakfast. I warm it and drink it out of a mug.

• Moderators

Bone broth does not count as protein. It is good for gut health and has some nutrients. I drink a mug of it several times per day when I have it.

Krista is right, just eat until you are satisfied at your next meal. However, if you miss a meal, you may need to eat two suppers to make up for what you missed. What you eat across the day matters, so when you miss a meal, you usually need to make it up. For example, I skipped breakfast on Tuesday and ate my first meal at lunch with a friend (I am not doing a Whole30 currently). I ate a normal meal at lunch, but got hungry enough to eat supper at 6:30 even though I normally eat at 7:30. By 8:30, I was hungry again. I was going to bed at 9:30, but ate another meal anyway - a can of sardines and a baked sweet potato with dried cranberries and macadamia nuts. If I had gone to bed without eating again, I would have been awake and having to eat at 1 AM.

I wouldn't officially double portions, but definitely increase based on how hungry you are. If that means you go from 1-2 palms to 2-4 palms, then so be it.

Bone broth isn't really a protein on its own. It's more of a source of supplemental nutrition. I either use it as a base for soups, or I drink it straight.

Thank you so much for your responses! I'm hoping this never happens again. I'll be more prepared. But unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way and did avoid the fast food that my collegues had!

Also I read bit about bone broth over on the food boards and everything is much more clear. I'm glad to know its suppose to look like jello in my refridgerator I thought I screwed it up or my bones were just too fatty.

Thanks again!

Archived