So whats the scoop on tunafish?

lilangel4824

I have read where other members are eating tuna. When I checked out the can it said that it contained water (or oil depending on the kind), fish, and soy. I thought I read somewhere that anything that contained soy was out? I did find "organic" tuna that was compliant but it cost FOUR times the amount of a normal can!!

You just have to read your labels. Yes, soy is OUT, and yes, many, many brands of tuna include soy, and yes, a compliant brand may be more expensive. I actually like canned salmon better than canned tuna, and for some reason it's been easier for me to find compliant, inexpensive salmon brands, too!

If the tuna contains soy, it's out.

On a related topic, though -- mods, what say you about the mercury content of tuna? It's one of those fishes we should eat sparingly due to its place on the food chain. I have been eating more tuna during my W30 than in recent years, though.

If the tuna contains soy, it's out.

On a related topic, though -- mods, what say you about the mercury content of tuna? It's one of those fishes we should eat sparingly due to its place on the food chain. I have been eating more tuna during my W30 than in recent years, though.

Here you go!

http://chriskresser.com/is-eating-fish-safe-a-lot-safer-than-not-eating-fish

So I bought some "regular" tuna the other day (not organic), and I'm not positive on the brand but I think it was Starkist Selects. I do know it was the low-sodium one - for whatever reason, these did not include soy (although the regular Starkist did)

I think it was $1.59 a can (regular of that brand was around $1.49, store brand usually runs $1.29 just to give you an idea of prices around here)

Terez, thank you for the link! That still puts it at 3.59 a can which is a bit much!

kshacklett, I will have to look into that the next time I am at the store. I picked up a bunch and they all saif soy, but I didn't check every single can. i'll look again! Thanks!

Trader Joe's sells inexpensive, soy-free tuna cans :). One of my favorite lunches is mixing a can of tuna with some mustard, then throwing in whatever chopped veggies I have around, usually scallions, red pepper, carrots, cucumber, hearts of palm, and some olives. Like a salad nicoise, almost!

We don't have a Costco around here, and we don't have a trader joes, however one is coming to the area soon (just not sure when). Hubby likes tuna and it is somthing quick he can grab before work. I'll have to look at the starkist select brands next time i'm in the store.

Terez,

Keep an eye on your Costco because I walked into mine today and they now have Whole Planet Tuna. Found out that it came in for the first time yesterday. :)

Oh, this is good news! I so hope my Costco gets on board with the Wild Planet line of fish! I had my first ever sardine at a running event expo where they Wild Planet reps were giving it out. They told me Costco carried it too but I haven't seen it since and that was last June!

We don't have a Costco around here, and we don't have a trader joes, however one is coming to the area soon (just not sure when). Hubby likes tuna and it is somthing quick he can grab before work. I'll have to look at the starkist select brands next time i'm in the store.

There is one in Rochester if you feel like taking a drive on a nice winter day! :)

Soy in tuna? I have never heard of that! I don't think I've ever seen that in Canada and I'm a chronic label reader. What about outside of North America? Soy in tuna? Sorry, still amazed.

We don't get it here in the UK. Tuna is either in springwater, brine, sunflower oil, vegetable oil or olive oil. I've never seen soy in it.

Archived