So whats the scoop on tunafish?

lilangel4824

I'm quite sure soy oil is very inexpensive so to keep the prices down, they often use it. No clue why they often use vegetable broth rather than water. I doubt it's anything like the vegetable broth that I make. It is very easy to find good tuna that is line caught, hinky ingredient free tuna in Oregon. At Trader Joes, it's reasonably priced but not like the 99 cent huge cans at Walmart. They may have compliant tuna, but I am stuck on Wild Planet's so I haven't looked.

I found Wild Planet tuna at Target in NC today :) They had pouches and cans of the regular and low mercury types. It's available from Amazon as well and it's cheaper than Target if you've got Amazon Prime.

Thanks for the info about soy being part of the veg broth ingredients. I had no idea!

I bought a ridiculously expensive pouch of tuna at Safeway today - Sea Fare Pacific wild caught albacore (smoked/sea salt). It was $7.99 for a 6oz pouch :blink: , but I was so curious about why it was so expensive, of course I had to buy it. Pacific caught, line fished, certified sustainable fisheries. Package says: "Most commercial tuna has been cooked twice to make processing easier, which unfortunately depletes much of the fish's natural, nutritional value. Our Sea Fare Pacific Albacore Tuna is prepared by hand at ice-cold temperatures before being cooked just once, preserving a home-canned fresh taste and 6 times' more of the tuna's omega 3."

I figure it will reside in my purse for an "emergency protein" at some point, and I will be so happy in that moment to have something that is a very special treat! I also bought my first tin of sardines ... I've never had a sardine, and am very uncertain about the whole thing, but at some point in the next 16 days remaining in this W30, I'm gonna give them a try. :)

Checked my Costco today. No Wild Planet. Yet. ;)

Ann, Wild Planet also says it has six times the Omega 3s of conventional tuna so it must be prepared the same as Sea Fare.

I bought sardines today too. I read somewhere (maybe in ISWF?) that one way of getting organs is to puree a whole sardine into a sauce or dressing. I'm adding chopped liver to my ground beef but I figure sardines are another way. It's minuscule but it's something.

Terez

We rarely get soy in tuna in Australia, however we do get canola oil, sugar and some other weirdies (usually in tuna + something cans). our tuna primarily comes in springwater, brine or oil. European delis here usually have loads of tuna packed only in olive oil (it's usually albacore, which is a white tuna with a mild flavour).

Just for giggles, tunafish here is like saying chickenbird, turkeybird ;)

Just for giggles, tunafish here is like saying chickenbird, turkeybird ;)

I'm totally calling chicken chickenbird from now on. :) I wonder how the whole tuna fish thing started? When my brother goes deep sea fishing for tuna, he never calls it tuna fish.

• 1 month later...
My husband says tuna steaks or ahi tuna are "tuna" but "the stuff in the can" is "tunafish." He has some disdain for the canned stuff....

Now that I have discovered Wild Planet tuna in water, I like tuna in a can much better. I also like it as a quick and lean protein. I do have to agree with your husband though, apples and oranges.

Now that I have discovered Wild Planet tuna in water, I like tuna in a can much better. I also like it as a quick and lean protein. I do have to agree with your husband though, apples and oranges.

Kind of like the difference between a good steak, and ground beef.

Preggo lady here and I went from ok to STARVING in like .2 seconds... I went in the kitchen to see what I could find that was fast and I ended up with a tin of sardines in olive oil, popped that open and gobbled up the sardines with some green olives and tomatoes. YUMMO! took care of the hunger pangs.

Hopefully I am not missing the boat here, but Walmart's Great Value brand in water is what I get and when I just looked online at the ingredients, it contains only : Light Tuna, Water, Vegetable Broth, Salt.

Double-check your can. That veggie broth may contain soy. It won't be on the ingredient list but will say that it contains soy. That is why our regular tuna in water is out, but we have been able to find alternatives by closely reading labels. Can't wait to look again with oils back in play and really can't wait to get to Costo, but it is not sustainable for frequent trips due to distance.

Archived