Former Veggie so sick of eating meat...Help!

melody

LOL. Yes... that is me. I tried being vegan first (but felt horrible) so then I found meat I could eat without feeling awful everytime I ate a meal. (I also a farm that I love supporting!).

I'm afraid this makes me a stereotype :huh:

The slaughterhouse was actually fascinating and made me feel much better about the whole process!

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but I've never been vegetarian (well, for more than a few days here and there), and I definitely feel worse when visiting vegetarian relatives-- and right now I feel pretty much exactly like you do about meat. I usually enjoy it quite a lot, but the sheer quantity I feel like I'm supposed to be eating right now has got me practically force-feeding myself. I may end up vegetarian for a week In February to recover. I think it's partly trying to eat 3x+ the amount of meat I usually eat, and partly trying to adjust to meat that's not accompanied by foods I'd normally include-- so, for instance, I frequently made veggie lasagna before, with no pasta, which I loved. But now the idea of doing it with zero cheese? Eh, I'm skipping it for the month, and substituting veggie heavy meat sauce. Over veggies. Which is good, but it sort of reduces my options. Like someone posted up thread, I'm concerned with ethical sourcing of animal products, so I'm not (for example), going to be making shrimp. (Bummer. I miss shrimp.) Also, I'm trying to eat locally and seasonally-- so I've had lots of greens, root vegetables, and winter squash, but I'm skipping over the recipes calling for zucchini and fresh tomatoes. Expensive, and not very yummy right now. All my zucchini is shredded in my freezer, next to pesto with cheese in it.

On the plus side, this month has made me realize how much difference a small amount of dairy, for instance, would make in opening up a range of food choices for me. (Uh, that may not have been its intended effect )

In the meantime, I'll join you in eggs for supper. Over a spinach salad.

It's funny, I didn't become vegetarian because of animals. I kind of fell into it by accident because I realized that I only liked burgers that were thoroughly masked in ketchup, I only liked chicken that was battered deep in dough and covered with sauce... the meat was always just something to put the good stuff on. But I did come to identify strongly as vegetarian, so it's also weird not to be one right now.

I like the idea of trying some Chinese food dishes, I saw a general tso's chicken recipe on here that I think I'll try. And thanks for the idea of breakfast sausage, I'm going to look for some of that next time I'm at the store as well!

I'm with you and Anita and I don't feel bad about it. I've never had a problem with meat, sourcing, anything, and have hit an absolute WALL today. A meat wall, if you will (gross). I suddenly feel nauseous at the thought and smell of it and am also VERY nauseous at the idea of all cooking fats. The ironic part is that these were two of the things i was most excited about starting out on Day 1. I think I'm really tired of the smell more than anything. My house has smelled like meat for the last 16 days. Gag. I think I'm going to load up on veggies for a bit and hope it passes.

GLC1968, I do not have ability to grill (tiny apartment) but I did try your suggestion of sausages. The spices (and lots of mustard) worked pretty well. The texture is also better than normal chicken. Will be totally trying all the compliant sausages that I can find now. Thanks!

Archived