TMI POST...Constipation. Help!

LTsurf

I'm all messed up too - haven't been able to pinpoint the issue. I think my cycle/hormones didn't help things either last week. In week 2, I was going too much now on Day 26, I am backed up LOL I went 5 DAYS with no poop last week! And now it's been another 3 I guess since that time. Sigh.

What about the opposite issue - potty daily - first thing in the morning. And when I gotta go.. I GOTTA GO. And - (farm girl here), it's like a cow patty in the potty. Day 27, pretty much been like this since I started my Whole 30. Too much fat?

• 1 year later...

Can eggs really back you up?  My normally easy pooping regime has required a little more effort lately.  It's not the lack of water, I drink loads of water because I work out a lot.  And nuts?  Can those back you up?  Admittedly I eat a lot of eggs....and nuts.

• Administrators

Can eggs really back you up?  My normally easy pooping regime has required a little more effort lately.  It's not the lack of water, I drink loads of water because I work out a lot.  And nuts?  Can those back you up?  Admittedly I eat a lot of eggs....and nuts.

Nuts can be quite disruptive to some people and can include bloating and constipation.  Eggs could too.  The best way to determine if these are causing you problems is to cut them out for a frew days during your Whole30 and see if your problem subsides.

• Administrators

Sprinkle chia seeds on your breakfast or psyllium (with a TON of water!). My mom had that problem with Whole30 it helped her when I suggested it. I do chia seeds every morning regardless.

I personally get the exact opposite effect with chia seeds.  They create a no-go situation for me.  :(

• Administrators

What do you mean by that?

I know they are Whole30 approved but my doctor had suggested it as a nutritional boost to put on top of foods. It's nutritional content benefits heart health, lowers your risk for diabetes, lowers your cancer risk, helps build strong bones, raises your energy level, improves skin and digestive issues. 

When you eat them you are only sprinkling 1-2 teaspoons on food or soaking it to your liking.

She just meant that nuts and seeds can be hard on some people's stomachs, that's all.  As far as seeds being an amazing super-food, they probably are not as healthy as they have been made out to be.

Check out Tom's response in this link: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7887-im-confused-about-nuts-and-seeds/?p=78095

Most nuts and seeds deliver a high dose of omega6 fats. Most of us already have too many omega6s and we need to reduce omega6s and increase omega3 fats to achieve a proper balance. So, while nuts and seeds are okay, eating a lot of them will tend to overload you with omega6s. Some nuts are lower in omega6 fats - macadamias, hazelnuts, cashews, so they are "better" for you. Others are especially high in omega6s - walnuts, brazil nuts, etc. Almonds, which are Paleo favorites, are in the middle of the pack. Flax seeds have a lot of omega3 fats, but in a form that our bodies can't access readily, so they don't add health benefits. The oils and butters of the nuts and seeds have the same nutritional profile. In addition, many people lose control with nuts and seeds and eat a lot of them.

Bottom line: you can throw seeds on your salads if you like the crunch, but they are probably not making you healthier. 

She just meant that nuts and seeds can be hard on some people's stomachs, that's all.  As far as seeds being an amazing super-food, they probably are not as healthy as they have been made out to be.

Check out Tom's response in this link: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7887-im-confused-about-nuts-and-seeds/?p=78095

Most nuts and seeds deliver a high dose of omega6 fats. Most of us already have too many omega6s and we need to reduce omega6s and increase omega3 fats to achieve a proper balance. So, while nuts and seeds are okay, eating a lot of them will tend to overload you with omega6s. Some nuts are lower in omega6 fats - macadamias, hazelnuts, cashews, so they are "better" for you. Others are especially high in omega6s - walnuts, brazil nuts, etc. Almonds, which are Paleo favorites, are in the middle of the pack. Flax seeds have a lot of omega3 fats, but in a form that our bodies can't access readily, so they don't add health benefits. The oils and butters of the nuts and seeds have the same nutritional profile. In addition, many people lose control with nuts and seeds and eat a lot of them.

Bottom line: you can throw seeds on your salads if you like the crunch, but they are probably not making you healthier. 

• Administrators

Tom does not mention Chia. Those are Omega 3 not Omega 6.  Flax are both omega 3 & omega 6 (about 50-50). I don't rely on them but my doctor did recommend them, my cholesterol spiked one physical and adding this to my diet (because I already eat so much fish) helped bring the number down. 

Tom does not mention Chia. Those are Omega 3 not Omega 6.  Flax are both omega 3 & omega 6 (about 50-50). I don't rely on them but my doctor did recommend them, my cholesterol spiked one physical and adding this to my diet (because I already eat so much fish) helped bring the number down. 

Sorry, I was referring to Praxis' post about seeds in general being hard on the stomach.

Regarding chia seeds specifically (again, Tom Denham to the rescue!): Chia seeds are marketed as a good source of omega3 fatty acids. They are if you are a cow. Chia seeds include ALA, a form of omega3s that humans cannot convert efficiently to the form of omega3s that our bodies actually use - DHA and EPA. So, chia seeds are a source of calories with little nutritional value. You can have them, but you want them because a marketer misled you about them

Sorry, I was referring to Praxis' post about seeds in general being hard on the stomach.

Regarding chia seeds specifically (again, Tom Denham to the rescue!): Chia seeds are marketed as a good source of omega3 fatty acids. They are if you are a cow. Chia seeds include ALA, a form of omega3s that humans cannot convert efficiently to the form of omega3s that our bodies actually use - DHA and EPA. So, chia seeds are a source of calories with little nutritional value. You can have them, but you want them because a marketer misled you about them

Well Tom is entitled to his opinion.  He is not a registered dietitian or medical doctor or has every held a role or job in a relevant field just an enthusiast. The fact is it had actual medical results for me as instructed by my doctor and I wanted to share it's benefits, which it does have and I don't think people should be misled.

Here's the thing: Tom has more than an opinion. As a moderator on this board of long standing, I can assure you Tom's opinion is backed up with recommendations of the whole9 team and the Hartwigs and that this is thoroughly vetted in research. The fact that chia helped you with constipation does not make it a good choice for everyone, and in fact, does not negate the fact that there are other options that would be a better choice from a nutrition standpoint that would also help with constipation.

Here is the "official" word from the whole9 team on chia:

Chia: Yes

These “seeds” aren’t the same botanical family of seeds that we eliminate with grains and legumes, so that makes them fine to eat during your Whole30.

Tip: Chia isn’t likely to cause you any serious trouble, but it’s not the omega-3 super-food it’s made out to be, either. We explain why in It Starts With Food, but in summary, chia should be treated like any other nut and consumed in limited quantities.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.5bZrifYM.dpuf

Another thing to research: low sodium! Considering that you are peeing more than usual, which can happen when you consitently go lower carb that you used to, even if unintentional, then sodium is leaving along with that pee. It's not an issue if you eat SAD, but you're not, so you're probably not getting 3-5g sodium--which can cause fatigue and constipation--i learned the "hard" way! Pun intended :)

Archived