Bacon fat

johnsona

the whole cut of meat is cured, not just the meat, that means the fat will be soaking it up as well. That's my understanding, if I'm wrong, someone please point it out.

Also, I'm not sure about where Applegate sources their pork, but the sad fact is, pigs are the most unhealthy animals in all of the commercial farming system. All of the stress hormones, food additives, and other byproducts are typically fat soluble.

As much as it pained me, when I started on W30, I tossed out my beautiful jar of bacon drippings. Since I haven't been able to source and high quality pork, I'm not even able to add any into my weekly cookup of greens.

I tossed my jar of bacon drippings too, but that's because I learned that my farmer uses canola oil in the curing process, and of course the oil would be in the drippings.

But I assumed the drippings were only fat (not sugar). I'm interested in hearing the answer because another local farmer does not use canola oil (but does use sugar) and I want to know if I could use the drippings from her bacon.

Terez

Thanks all! We will not be using the fat. I did not think that canola oil was in though? I thought only olive, coconut, avocado oils, and small amounts of sesame oil. Maybe I had this wrong? I know that I will probably not do canola oil anyways, as it does not do well on my sensitive tummy. Just curious.

Archived