Thirsty!

Pomme

This is not really a problem, but my mom (who is also doing the Whole30) wanted me to ask the question ("run it up the flagpole," were her words).

We have both been more thirsty than before. Now, we're not eating any processed foods with hidden salt, nor are we adding tons of salt to our food (we are low-salt cookers, typically adding salt only at the table).

So... is this a thing that happens? Is it known what the mechanism is that causes it?

I don't know, but I do know I drink way more water than I used to, and it makes me feel good. So, maybe just drink more water? I drink about 96 oz. of water a day.

I think I've been drinking even more lately, just because the dry air from all the heaters running inside really dries me out. Similarly, when my asthma is really in check, I wind up needing more water just based on water evaporating from membranes along my respiratory system.

Many moons ago when I did low carb diets they always stressed that if you were eating more protein you needed to drink more water. Personally i think most people could do with drinking more but many people mistake the signs of thirst for hunger and eat instead. I think on a Whole30 you just get more in tune with your body and what it really needs.

It's not really a PROBLEM, I was just curious. As per usual, Kirsteen's explanation makes a lot of sense. And on the plus side, I've noticed that plain water is much more appealing to me than it used to be.

"It may be part of the healing detoxing process.... Your liver and kineys are flushing out waste and need more water to do this. You also don't hold as much water when you have less carbs o maybe your body wants a higher reserve..."

Is this why not only am I thirsty when I wake up in the morning, but I'm also getting up 2 and sometimes 3x a night to go to the bathroom? I drank a lot of water pre whole 30 and still do, but I have to wake to use the restroom more now than before whole30 and am more thirsty.

I'm having a really tough time staying hydrated throughout the day. You'd think since I'm not drinking any alcohol and having less caffeine every day (due to increased energy levels, yay), it'd be the other way around. If I don't consciously make sure to drink water all day, I wake up with a nasty little headache that even a cup of coffee can't fix. I don't know if there's any merit to this article, but it says that there actually is a connection between protein consumption and hydration. I suppose the solution is to just make yourself drink throughout the day, particularly if you're doing a fair amount of exercise?

Haha, I love the "cat tongue" term! I've been exceedingly thirsty the past 2 days, like I'm walking through a desert. I'm only on Day 3 of W30. But I just make sure to drink a TON of water. Lemons in my water helped finally quench my thirst last night. Maybe that will help someone else?

I don't know if there's any merit to this article, but it says that there actually is a connection between protein consumption and hydration. I suppose the solution is to just make yourself drink throughout the day, particularly if you're doing a fair amount of exercise?

I remember in the dim and distant past when I tried Atkins and the Carb Addicts Diet, they always stressed drinking a lot of water and claimed the extra protein you were eating needed it.

I was crazy thirsty in the first week, and I have a couple of (unscientific) theories.

One is that giving up sugar and caffiene at the same time, the thirst was one of the 'withdrawal' symptoms.

Secondly, I realised that most days I'd have a big milky coffee with breakfast, and a can or two of coke during the day...which is actually quite a lot of liquid. So the answer for some people might just be that you've cut out bad beverages, which still to an extent quench your thirst, but forgot to replace that with water.

a little lemon or lime to you water can help. I found it took almost the Whole 30 to see improvement in my mouth feeling dry and myself being thirsty. I blame years of Coke Zero abuse. I think it's taken a while for my body to adjust.

Adding Sea Salt to your food, not iodized, can help add minerals back that you may be missing as well, or so I've read. I should go hunt down my bottle of sea salt...

• 1 year later...

This discussion is SO helpful! I noticed on Day 2 of my first whole30 that my thirst was super-elevated and I needed water immediately in the mornings after eating. I'm on Day 13 now and my thirst is still pretty elevated especially in the afternoons. I also was wondering if I had too much salt but how could that be since i'm eating whole30???? So reading others' experiences tells me this is a NORMAL part of the whole30 although the science behind it is unclear to me. It seems like whole30 gets you very in tune to your body and your hormonal signals are working correctly finally. And the part someone said about the toxins flushing out of your body makes a lot of sense. It seems like the thirst is part of many people's experiences so that's good to know! 

• 1 year later...

Not only am I more thirsty, but I find water much more palatable as well. I'm on day 12, and was previously drinking 2 or 3 cups of coffee with sugar and cream and then 2 or 3 (or more!) diet sodas. I now drink one coffee with coconut or almond milk in the morning, and two seltzers (with meals) and a fair bit of water all throughout the day. I'd *hated* to drink water before doing W30. It felt like a chore to drink every sip. Now the chore is finding the time to keep my 24 oz bottle full from the water cooler that's so far from my desk, I drink it so fast.

• 2 years later...

Adding to this years later. This was very helpful. The weird thing with me is that I always drank a lot of water and pee'd a lot. Now I'm thirsty all the time, even though I'm drinking  lots of water...but not peeing as much. I wonder if my body is just retaining. Hmm...

Archived