this bacon?

jesmadi

No nitrites or nitrates. I doubt you will find a compliant bacon at the grocery store--ever. Most people buy online from places like US Wellness meats or other similar places. Or you can buy and season a pork belly, then slice and fry like a lot of people here do.

So hard to find one without sugar but i don't know about this other "stuff"

http://www.gwaltneyf...hickory-smoked/

Ingredients:

Cured With: Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

Jesmadi, to me, the biggest thing about any pork is that it's often the most highly mistreated animals we eat. Which means lots of stress and toxins. The thing about bacon, IMHO, is that it's mostly fat and you can't really get rid of it. That is where all the toxins lie. Melissa and Dallas just recently blogged about this on their Facebook page. If you "like" their page on FB, you will get daily morsels from them on your page. US Wellness has a nice sugar free bacon from pastured pork. It's expensive, but if budget isn't an issue, then that would be the way to go. They are often out of it on their website, but just keep checking. Or...like Maryann said, make your own. It's quite inexpensive but again, you may have to search for a humanely raised pork supplier. It's kind of a fun hunt. :) It's also a blast to make it yourself.

Eatwild.com is a great source for finding local farms that raise their animals humanely. It also let's you know if you're able to visit the farm/meet the farmer, which is a great way to make sure the animals are truly happy/well treated. And the farms I've used have been open and honest about what is in their meat. One told me their traditional bacon was nitrate/nitrite free (may be ok on Whole30 but my personal choice to not consume) but it had sugar. They directed me to another provider that raised happy pigs and made bacon without any of the stuff I was trying to avoid.

Eatwild.com is a great source for finding local farms that raise their animals humanely. It also let's you know if you're able to visit the farm/meet the farmer, which is a great way to make sure the animals are truly happy/well treated. And the farms I've used have been open and honest about what is in their meat. One told me their traditional bacon was nitrate/nitrite free (may be ok on Whole30 but my personal choice to not consume) but it had sugar. They directed me to another provider that raised happy pigs and made bacon without any of the stuff I was trying to avoid.

Awesome! Thanks for the link. :)

What? No! There are very few unpronounceable things on the back of food products that are NOT allowed.

Those are carrageenan, MSG, and sulfites. (I actually might be missing one, but I think that's all of them).

Nitrates and nitrites are OKAY!!!

Thanks for the link to this article - hallelujah I have something to NOT be afraid of now :). And so glad to hear that since I will now have more choices in terms of cured meat that I can get when needed. Of course, most of them have added sugar as well so my choices are still limited, but at least the nitrites aren't a biggie anymore.

I'm so confused. So, nitrites are ok, nitrates are not ok, and sulfites are not ok. Is that correct?

CAK, I totally missread your post. Nitrates are okay. I did not catch the "not". Sorry to have confused anyone. Going to PM you in case you don't come back here.

Archived