Whole30/Pregnancy/Depression/Anxiety

I plan to continue eating Whole30/Paleo after I finish my Whole30. I plan to try and get pregnant in the next 6-9 months so I am already taking a pre-natal vitamin and I have the book TCOYF on order and plan to start charting. I am also currently on anti-anxiety/depression medication. I want to wean myself off of those before I get pregnant so part of my hope of the Whole30 and changing my eatting habits is that it will help balance my moods so I do not need medication. Does anyone have experience or suggestions as far as natual herbs or mood enhancers that are Whole30 compliant and safe during pregnancy? I have looked into Sam-E and St. Johns Wort and neither of those are recommended during pregnancy.

B vitamins are the "brain" vitamins so perhaps you can talk to your doctor about safe upper limits, also larger amounts of D vitamins (take as a drop, a good brand is D Drops--can just drop onto food, tasteless and odorless).

Not a pill to take, but consider taking prenatal yoga classes--I found this exceptionally helpful with my second pregnancy in dealing with my anxiety issues. Also have you ever tried using blue light therapy? It's essentially just a light you plug in and sit in front of daily. Something similar to this (http://www.amazon.com/NatureBright-SunTouch-Plus-Light-Therapy/dp/B000W8Y7FY) there are portable ones and also large lamps you can sit under. Best of luck to you!

Magnesium (Natural Calm) has really helped my anxiety; I went off my anti-depressant in February and got pregnant in July. Every pregnancy is different, but with my first (a girl), my anxiety and depression took a nose dive and I had PPD. I was NOT eating Paleo and had gestational diabetes, so it may have been that or just a combo of factors. But I've talked with other women and they've shared what I experienced: when carrying a girl they were more emotional/hormonal. I'm carrying a boy now and it's been a totally great pregnancy. I used to want to punch people that said that, seriously. :) I take Natural Calm 2x a day and aim to eat Paleo 90% of the time and I've felt great, gestational diabetes has NOT returned, and I haven't gained excess weight. Good luck to you!

Archived