Jiainiml Whole30 Log

Jiainiml

Today is day 16 of my first W30, on day 11 I had a craving attack that I almost could not shake, but I hung in there, drank a lot of water ate a lot of vegetables and had some protein, mainly in the form of fish, but that still did not do a thing till I had some root vegetables (Sweet Potatoes and Squash), talk about your body just craving some carbs. In any case I can say that I feel completely GREAT today, my boss even complemented me on how great my skin looks and says I have inspired her to cut all that sugar out of her diet. I've had people tell me that I look like I've lost weight (which I really don't see myself, my clothes aren't really fitting any different but hey I will take it).

I am completely obsessed with a coconut cauliflower rice that I make (grated cauliflower, coconut flakes, coconut oil, fresh rosemary, garlic and salt for taste and since I like heat I put some habanero pepper in there), stir-fried vegetables using coconut amino's and fish sauce (thank you Tom Denham) and Salmon Roasted with Mayonnaise (another recipe from Tom), just can't seem to get enough.

Like most I feel absolutely great, and feel like I should do this for life, but realistically I know I can't, which has been the failure that I've had with most diets that I've done (hence the reason why I can't stand diets and don't believe in them). This is definitely a GREAT lifestyle change for me, I am 100% committed to it, I've already decided to do a W60 instead of a W30, just to make sure I've really grasped the concept and my body is fully adjusted to my new and improved eating habits. I also made a conscious decision not to aim at losing weight but to focus on being strong, healthy, refreshed and completely free from the craving demon, I feel like I am on the right track so week 3 here I come....

Keep up the good work. I know what you mean about wanting to do it for life, and I probably will with some, or most of the changes I've made. But as you said, realistically.... Anyway, there are some things I will want occasionally, like wine and honey. And some a little less than occasionally, like cheese or other dairy. Dairy is actually pretty easy to give up. I also think it will be hard to give up popcorn at the movies. I know you can make cauliflower popcorn, but haven't tried it yet. I have trouble wrapping my head around that one and believing it tastes as fun and yummy as popcorn.

I would love to get the proportions for your coconut cauliflower rice recipe. Sounds amazing!

Onward and healthward!

@Annette: Thank you for the encouragement, I am completely with you on how easy it is to give up cheese and dairy, luckily or unluckily for me I am lactose intolerant so I had to cut it out of my diet a long time ago. But yes there are definitely other things I will want occasionally, such as port wine, edamame, suya (barbequed chicken made with a peanut based seasoning).

The proportions for my Coconut Cauliflower Rice are as follows:

1 head of cauliflower – use a food processor to get it into the consistency of rice

1 Cup shredded coconut flakes

1 tbs Coconut oil (you can use olive oil it does not take away from the taste)

1 fresh Rosemary

1 tsp Garlic

1tsp salt

Optional: 1 tsp habanero pepper

Add extra Garlic and Salt to taste

Heat coconut oil over medium heat and add the Rosemary

at medium high heat add Cauliflower to pan and stir till the rosemary and cauliflower are well blended cover for 5 minutes and add the coconut flakes, garlic, salt and habanero pepper, stir till all is well blended

Cover for another two minutes or till you reach your desired texture.

p.s feel free to adjust the recommended measurements to your liking.

Hope you enjoy it.

@queenofcups: I think the rice is amazing if you get to make it, let me know what you think. The structure is definitely what I have needed; I've dabbled with being paleo, but with my rules and that didn't get me very far. If you decide to do a W60 instead of a W30 let me know and we can keep each other on track.

Today is day 22 of my Whole30 journey and I've not stopped advertising, to anyone who will listen, on how great I've been feeling since I started the Whole30. Day 21 was a little tough for me for some reason, but I stuck to the plan. My lunch did not satisfy me at all and I was just hungry all afternoon and could not figure out what to do to stop the hunger, it finally dawned on me that I probably needed a little more fat. I definitely still have habits that I need to break and I know those will take some time and I am willing to go as long as it takes for the habits to be gone, so forward I march.

I admire your attitude! You reponded to your sugar craving very well, you decided to extend your W30 to take care of some triggers, you spread the good food word, you focus on health rather than weight...!!! Keep it up!

Isn't cauliflower rice delicious!!?? I didn't know I loved that vegetable that much until I made rice out of it. I often do Well Fed's Fried Rice and Pilaf Rice. I'll need to try your recipe sometime soon! I also love mashed cauliflower from Practical Paleo's recipe.

• 2 weeks later...

I survived my first w30 but this journey is not over for me, I have decided to do W60 for two reasons to make sure that I have all the concepts down and it has become a way of life and 2 make sure the sugar cravings that tend to try and creep their ugly heads back up are gone for good. My overall journey has been great, I feel so much better, my mind is so much clearer and its odd but I just feel smarter. I've been telling everyone who asks about my journey and have even inspired some people to jump on their own W30 journey (only time shall tell if they actually commit to it or not).

Archived