Can I eat this? Paleo Pizza made with Almond Flour

SherryZ

Started my Whole30 8 days ago. Yay! Doing great - but started the Whole30 without reading the book first. Some family members started a group - and I just kind of jumped in. Last Sunday - I found a "Paleo Pizza" recipe containing the following ingredients:

• 1 cup almond flour
  • 3 Tbs almond butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 3 tsp olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
  • 4 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large Italian sausage, cut in 1/2" slices
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup marinara or tomato sauce, with no sugar added
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp fennel seed
  • 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half.

Made it and it tasted great. Well- since then I have read the book and of course got to the paragraph where you are not supposed to be lured by "Paleo" copies of foods like Pizza (specifically mentioned.)

All the veggies were organic, eggs - free range organic and the sausage was the "correct" type of meat. Is almond flour ok to use - did I screw up and need to hit the "reset" button? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are my feelings on this. First, welcome. Second, I'm glad you read the book. Kind of a hard program to follow if you don't get into the philosophy of it. You get it now though and that's what's important. The part about not re-creating things from your past that didn't make you healthy is really important to follow. I say just carry on and be aware that you really want to concentrate on whole fresh foods that are not trying to imitate pancakes, pizza, muffins or ice cream. You will notice a few exceptions on these threads, but pizza has never been one of them. If when you get to the end of your challenge and you are still dealing with cravings (not that you said you even crave pizza or anything else) then consider making it a W38 so you get the full 30 days of compliance. This is simply how I would look at it if I were in your shoes. :)

Thanks for getting back. I wasn't craving the pizza (although who doesn't love pizza) -- we were just looking for different recipes to change things up. I understand now to stay the straight and narrow. Still not sure about the almond flour thing!!! I need to search the recipes that are "legal" for the first 30!

Almond flour can be used as a binder in recipes or to add crunch to something you are cooking up in a pan. Making a baked good with it is not okay. Personally, I have not used it.

There are some great recipes in the book towards the back. Also, Clothes Make The Girl is a great website for W30 recipes. In fact, she wrote a cookbook called Well Fed that is full of compliant recipes. Also, there is an entire section here dedicated to legal recipes. Both Tom Denham and Johnny M (two of our moderators) have a link in their signatures that leads you to a bunch of compliant recipes. Here is a link to Tom's site and his recipes. http://www.wholelifeeating.com/

This ought to keep you busy. :)

I agree with Susan.... one of the big outcomes for many people doing a whole 30 is to change their relationship with food and for many this means getting used to real meals not junk food meals, even if they are made healthy. This is specific to the whole30 program. So one of the goals is to be able to wrap your mind around planning and eating 30 days of real meals without snacks or junk food meals or dessert meals..... easier said than done but only for 30 days right.

But also a whole 30 doesnt require perfectionism and that one meal (compliant of course) wont derail you so just keep striving to look for meals that best fit the program.

Now having said all that, I am not quite so good at sticking to this rule as I havent eaten junk food for at least ten years (due to intolerances) so pizza, burgers, fish and chips, pancakes, pies, burritos etc dont exist in my diet to compare to... and also some meals like a taco-less tacos (which I tried for the first time on this program by adding a ground beef mix on top of a salad - never thought to do that before) arent anything like the full junk food version so are only common in some ingredients not the overall effect.... also a lot of people seem to have meatza's... is that then like a pizza or like my taco-less taco...... In the end its up to us to decide if we are 'cheating' or complying depending on what our intent is I guess....

Archived