Your Top 3 Go-To Veggie Recipes

gray

Hey all,

After lots of sauteed spinach, broiled asparagus, and salad, I'm looking for some new ways to up my daily intake of veggies. It's my second Whole30 and I've discovered a few awesome recipes on my way (listed below), but I'd love to hear yours. I'm game for anything and my only true veggie nemesis is eggplant.

1- Mashed cauliflower. All the time. I've done it lots of ways - with garlic and chives, fancy-schmancy truffle salt, and as of tonight, salt and vinegar (surprisingly awesome if you're into that sort of thing).

2- Zucchini noodles (aka zoodles). Delicious tossed in a simple homemade pesto.

3- Roasted root veggies. Broad, yes, but you gotta love a baking sheet full of sweet potatoes, parsnips, butternut, et. al. I do eat a lot of these starchier carb-type vegetables, hence the need to expand my horizons.

I realize this is a broad question and I know there are already tons of recipes listed on the site, but I'm interested in hearing about your absolute favorite go-to's so I can add a few to my repertoire. (And PS, if anyone has any especially awesome, non-chip recipes for kale/cabbage/other hearty greens, go for it, because I still haven't been able to board that bandwagon all the way.)

Roasted carrot sticks with coconut oil, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper... amazing (had them for dinner tonight!)

My new favorite Sun-dried tomato spinach side that you could also make with kale but you would just need to cook much longer :)

and last but certainly not least, sauteed brussel sprouts with ghee, shallots, garlic, red onion, and compliant bacon. Cooked in bacon grease, of course. I could LITERALLY eat it for every meal forever.

1. Green beans sauteed in olive oil with garlic and crushed red pepper flakes

2. Sautee some garlic and a chopped tomato in olive oil, top with sliced zucchini and put the lid on. Cook until zucchini is soft, add salt and pepper

3. Toss asparagus with olive/coconut oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Throw on a baking sheet in the oven at whatever temperature everything else is cooking at, roast 10-15 minutes.

1. Cauliflower rice- saute an onion in coconut oil over high heat for a few minutes then add it some riced cauliflower, turn to medium, and cover for 5 minutes. I literally eat this with everything- so good!!

2. Curry roasted cauliflower- mix cauliflower florets with olive oil and about 1 tsp curry powder, a little salt, and some ginger if you feel like it then throw it on a baking tray and cook at 375 for 25ish mins.

3. Roasted brussel sprouts- mix with coconut oil, lay out on a baking sheet, and roast!

I'm all about EASY, so here are my favorites:

I'm a huge fan of roasted brussel sprouts, so much that I have to limit my intake (it's like veggie candy for me!). I recently roasted up acorn squash with ghee, salt and pepper - OMG, so yummy. Also, roasted red, yellow and orange mini (or large) peppers w/olive oil, salt & pepper - you can chop up and add to salad or salsa or just eat plain. Also, onions, garlic and mushrooms sauteed together until everything is caramelized and delish makes a great side or topping for chicken and beef.

Hope this helps!

I second the roasted brussel sprouts. Sometimes when I'm feeling especially jazzy I add carrots.

I also like roasting red and yellow peppers together with red onion. I will put anything in an over (sauteing is overrated) and peppers and onions are great with eggs and some avocado.

For a once in a while treat I like prosciutto wrapped asparagus. I cut each prosciutto slice into three ribbons and wrap it around three pieces of asparagus. Throw it in a 425 degree oven on parchment paper for 10 minutes. Asparagus is still a little crispy and the prosciutto is tool. Delicious.

I'm addicted to roasted broccoli and/or carrots. Much more so than the brussels sprouts.

This chard recipe--but I use the bacon fat instead of ghee http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pan-fried-swiss-chard/detail.aspx

ratatouille--zucchini, onions, tomato, eggplant, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper all sauteed together with either Italian or Greek seasoning blend, cooked down until tomatoes start to form a 'sauce'.

Thanks, everyone! Can't wait to give these a spin and bust out of my veggie rut.

For what it's worth, I've also recently discovered that on a chilly morning, a big, warm bowl of [coconut] creamed spinach with a bit of nutmeg and salt is really cozy and delicious.

Also wanting to give NomNomPaleo's braised red cabbage recipe, adapted from Chez Panisse, a try.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Turnips are in season here, so we've been eating our fair share. Roasted, mashed with cauliflower, whatever! They're tangier than cauliflower but still have good texture and flavor. I love me some sweet potato,hash or fritters in the morning with some apples chopped in and some eggs. Delish!

So many good ideas on this thread--can't wait to try some!

Um, those comfort noodles look amaze. Especially for someone like me who LOVES a hot bowl of pasta. I wouldn't eat it W30 (for me it might be too SWYPO), but once I'm done it could be a good plan.

They are good. I've had them several times including for brekky. They are easy to whip up too.

Understand about the SWYPO though.

• 1 month later...

Collards sauteed with a little bit of bacon fat

Mashed cauliflower with CARROT (love all forms of mashed cauliflower, but got this idea from Nomnompaleo and the carrots add a kick of sweetness)

Brussels sprouts roasted until carmelized with onions

All simple but very good!

I LOVE nomnom's Asian cauliflower rice.

I also started making an "almond butter" cabbage: http://www.barefoodcooking.com/vegetables/almond-butter-cabbage/ I LOVE it, I admit I eat an entire cabbage of this within 2-3 days. I use cashew butter instead of almond butter and use the whole can of coconut milk rather than just the cream from the top. nice and creamy and i can add some protein to it.

1. Broccoli florets tossed in olive oil, smoked salt and salted lemon peel diced finely: roast on a foil wrapped baking tray at 400*F for 15-20 minutes until crispy at the edges.

2. Kale/collards/mustard greens sautéed with thinly sliced onion, several cloves of crushed garlic and some clarified butter, add a splash of quality fish sauce or anchovies for salt and cover. I like to use a cast iron skillet for these, cooks up in 8-10 minutes depending on how well done you like your greens.

3. French radishes, steamed and tossed with clarified butter and a squeeze of lemon juice when serving. Soooo good!

They are good. I've had them several times including for brekky. They are easy to whip up too.

Understand about the SWYPO though.

Wondered about the SWYPO factor as well. (what's the ruling on almond flour during w30?) but I thought about making these with prosciutto bits in place of the breadcrumbs.

I'm not sure I can keep it to just 3!

Zuchini roasted or pan-fried for about 7-10 minutes per side until they are charred and soft. Then add salt, pepper and lemon juice, and some salad-quality olive oil if you have some. I cook up a batch at once and then re-heat in the microwave. I've also done them on the BBQ.

Steamed/microwaved cauliflower with grated fresh nutmeg and salt.

Roasted beetroot with just a little lemon juice and some avocado (I usually serve these two on top of some salad greens alongside my protein)

Cabbage: It's nice shredded and microwaved (I start with a bit of water with it, then drain it off part way through), then salted and I add ghee or coconut oil. It's lush with coconut oil!

A couple of times I've made a mix-veggie side with a half-size tin of coconut milk, a little bit of ginger, and loads of stir-fry type veggies like red pepper, snap peas, zuchini, cauliflower, mushroom, spinach. Serve in a bowl alongside your protein. For lunch/dinner I'd consider adding some Thai curry paste.

1. Yellow squash (the kind that looks like zucchini only yellow): slice into little disks and pop on a baking sheet until the discs are brown on the bottom, then flip and bake until they're brown on both sides. The whole thing takes like 30 minutes so just enough time to pull together whatever meat I'm cooking and boom! veggies are done.

2. Roasted beets: super easy and impossible to mess up. Put beets on a cookie sheet (NOT in tinfoil), roast at 400 degrees until the kitchen smells like roasting beets (usually a little over an hour). Then burn your fingers trying to eat them IMMEDIATELY because they're that delicious. I'm actually having trouble with these because they're like a food with no brakes for me but other people might find them tasty.

3. Green beans: boil a pot of water and simultaneously heat up some cooking fat in a frying pan. Drop the beans into the boiling water. As soon as they turn color, take them out and right into the frying pan until they're juuuust a little brown around the edges. I eat them plain with salt but you could also get fancy with the spices.

Wondered about the SWYPO factor as well. (what's the ruling on almond flour during w30?) but I thought about making these with prosciutto bits in place of the breadcrumbs.

Almond flour is definitely okay during the Whole30. For me the comfort noodles aren't SWYPO as I rarely ate pasta its just a good, quick nutritious meal. The prosciutto with it sounds yummy

And PS, if anyone has any especially awesome, non-chip recipes for kale/cabbage/other hearty greens...

I forgot to mention in my previous post that savoy cabbage is MUCH nicer in my opinion than green or red cabbage.

And another favourite way to serve starchy veg is mashed swede (rutabaga) and parsnip with ghee. You can also use carrot instead of parsnip or it's probably good with all 3.

Archived