Support network for second or more whole30-100plus participants

Hi all, This isn't exclusive....

But...I am looking to share experiences with people undergoing a similar journey at the moment... One that is less about detoxing and identifying compliant foods and the expected set of symptoms and challenges that comes with a first whole30...

And more about the longer term development of whole30 behaviours, how to sustain compliant eating for so long, how to work on certain symptoms etc, how to stay motivated etc and how to recognize and celebrate successes and achievements and optimize learning from failures.

I completed a whole30 on December 8th and started a new whole100 on December 21st with only two non compliant days in between (bad but not disasters) because I still have lots to learn and lots of healing to happen... Long history of intolerances and symptoms etc.. So I want to see where I get to following this plan into April.

The first three weeks were easy but this fourth week has been a struggle... Too many nuts, too much snacking, too much food overall... Probably a bit of an extinction burst... Does that happen second time around? Possibly an overdose of caffeine... I know that destabilizes me sometimes, or perhaps just a virus I picked up messing with my routine and hunger signals

I am having a better day today... But I thought, wow it would be good to be able to get general advice and support for this without having to dig through the huge number of posts ATM from the January surge.. Or trying to frame a specific question when I don't really have one just right now.

So please check in if you can share this journey with me or have experiences to share....

I'm in - also posting on the Whole100 thread. This is my third go-round. First Whole30 was Sept. 23-Oct. 23; then went between Thanksgiving and Christmas; and started Dec. 31ish (was going to start Jan. 2 for a Whole100 but got sick of the sugar I was eating and started halfway through a day somewhere in the end of December.)

I'm not noticing major food issues this go-round, but as I said on the other thread, lots of emotional stuff coming up that used to be buried under the junk food.

Thanks friend!

So yesterday I experimented. When I felt like eating fruit or carbs between meals, I did but added a veggie, protein and fat to make it a mini meal. The result.... 5 meals yesterday but it stopped me feeling like I was snacking... And also stopped me diving in to the nut container as it was much easier to 'end' a complete meal and move on. I know this is one of the supports of the whole30 program but I guess I lost this somewhere along the way.

So todays whinge is about feeling a bit chunky (fat).... no doubt due to the extra eating last week. Has anyone else had this happen on their whole30's? I am feeling better this week and back to exercise so I am hopoing it will sort itself out. At least I seem to have plenty of exercise stamina despite feeling a bit tired and short on sleep.... might go have a nap ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hey I don't know if I am "experienced" enough as say to comment about it, but I have def. had weeks where I am feeling great/fit and then weeks where I feel much more chunky. This is a chunky week and they usually always come before my cycle... anyway good to see you are feeling better and back into the exercise :) much love.

I'm finishing up my Whole30 tomorrow, but continuing on for 70 more days (to make a Whole100). I'd be interested in sharing thoughts, discoveries, etc. I also have had a very long history of food issues, among them Celiac disease (although it was just diagnosed two years ago). And the Whole30 has greatly helped my body to start settling down, but I have a longer road ahead. Maybe we could have a journal in the "Post-Whole30" forum that everyone could add to?

My skin is still pretty good, my sleep is going well right now, I have enough energy in the day, so just got to work on the stomach problems. As posted in my log, I am going to have a week without coconut or nuts and take Digestive enzymes.

I actually woke up hungry this morning so I will take this as a good sign that for once I didnt overeat yesterday.

Bloating has improved slightly, (from a 7 to a 5) enough for me to feel comfortable to do an exercise class today....

But as I was having my post WO protein (leftover carnitas) hubby commented... you have been eating a lot lately.... sigh..., why does he always notice after I have realised and started to do something about it so then I feel bad when he makes these comments...

I think I will go for a short run to feel better!

Feeling okay but last night before I went to bed I noticed puffy eyelids which are worse today... skin is itchy too..... At least I know its not nuts or eggs as I didnt have them yesterday..... cocoa? too much coffee? Digestive enzymes? A particular fruit? Or of course it could be pollen! I am a bit achey all over though so to me that means systemic inflammation not seasonal allergy.

Having a quiet day today!

So for anyone out there feeling like they are going backwards at the moment, I can suggest trying any of the following: less (no) coffee, no coconut, no fruits, less fatty meat. Seems to have really worked for me. I have even more energy than before, lots less bloating and I can see the weight melting off (of course not in the right places.... yet....) and I still feel like I am eating lots... now, how to figure out why my sleep has got worse.......

Interesting post - I wish I'd seen it earlier!

I finished my third Whole30 last week and I'm still moving forward. I expect to eat a paleo-ified treat of some sort on my birthday (Feb 10) but I plan to stay Wholewhatever around it. My goal is to extend this until my first triathlon of the season which is early May.

My #1 goal is to cement the idea for myself (and my subconscious) that this can be a permanent lifestyle. I've been paleo since Aug '11 but until I did my first Whole30 (June '12) I didn't think it was possible or realistic to be 100% clean for more than a few days at a time. Whole30 taught me otherwise and now I'm trying to make it the norm for myself. I'd like my year to be 85% Whole30, 15% less strict paleo. Previously, I was more like 15% Whole30, 85% less strict paleo and while I felt good - I didn't feel GREAT.

Currently, I'm still struggling with poor sleep, a few remaining aches and pains (I am seeing a doctor) and occasional visits by Smaug, my sugar dragon. And I still have excess fat, but I'm less concerned with that now that the holiday bloat is gone. I'm super pleased with my renewed cooking habits, my skin condition, my disease resistance, my energy levels (when I do sleep well) and my reduced hunger (or normalized hunger!).

I'm also working to tweak things to get to a point where it is all falling into place. I'll be following your efforts!

I'm in too! This is my second Whole30, my first was back in October. The first time around was relatively easy, and I began feeling great around day 21. Then Christmas happened and the bad food choices started creeping in and my energy levels slumped again. This time around I've had to restart twice, and I'm having a lot of trouble not snacking, particularly grazing after dinner even tho I'm not hungry. I'm also having a lot of trouble sleeping and I haven't lost any weight at all :/

I have type 1 diabetes, thyroid and other hormonal problems. I think I'll decrease the coconut cream as suggested, it's turning into a food with no brakes for me, but I really resent cutting out yet another food when already there are so many things that I've cut already during this whole30!! Hoping to get my rhythm and energy back soon.

Welcome Zoodles and GLC.....

Zoodles, I also resented further restrictions... But yesterday I had a lightbulb moment that was... Hey, I haven't had any fruit the last few days except a bit of chopped orange in a salad that I prepared a day ahead... And I didn't even notice!!! I think the reason was because I dug out some new recipes to try and had plenty of precooked and fresh food in the fridge to plan meals from so didn't need to resort to the what can I have, ... Nuts and fruit are the easiest etc and also was able to fill up on vege side dishes so I had no room to think... Hmm some berries with coconut cream would be good right now!

GLC you are an inspiration to us.....

Day 31 for me was yesterday. I ate too much chocolate and realize that I have a long way to go : / I promised husband we'd get sushi today (he's missed it dearly) and I have cream for coffee to finish off (not as good as I remembered) and then I'm back on board for another!

Day 31 for me was yesterday. I ate too much chocolate and realize that I have a long way to go : / I promised husband we'd get sushi today (he's missed it dearly) and I have cream for coffee to finish off (not as good as I remembered) and then I'm back on board for another!

Yum... Chocolate. My daughter made vanilla slices yesterday, happy to report I managed to avoid licking up the leftover icing.... I made the kids a great snack last week with mixed seeds and cocoa and a bit of honey... While I was making them I thought, hmm I can have one, it's only got a bit of honey in... Then. Thought nah I don't really need one, maybe I'll just like my fingers clean (hand rolled!)... Then I thought... I don't really need to do that either... So yay still compliant

It's so hard to not sneak a taste when making something non-compliant that isn't *that* bad for you, isn't it? We had a celebration at work last friday and a coworker made 'paleo' chocolate chip cookies specifically for me (I never told her I was doing a whole30!). I admit, I had one. She made them with a coconut syrup for a sweetener (whatever that is!) and soy free dark chocolate chips, so really, the only thing I was introducing was sugar. Luckily, it was so small that I didn't notice any effects. Phew! If I was still within my 30 days, I would not have had one....feelings be damned.

Oh, I also had a white potato on Saturday night. It was part of a meal, just plain baked, and I had plenty of veggies and meat as well, so I'm not considering that an 'off-road'. Again, I wouldn't have done it had I been in my 30 days, but it really hit the spot and now I feel like I can be potato free for another couple of weeks (I love me some white potatoes!). Again, I didn't notice any increased cravings or anything (though that was probably partly due to eating it WITH a good meal and not on it's own or in place of good food). I also had a VERY physical day on Saturday with a 15 mile bike ride followed by 5 hours of weeding, planting and shoveling mulch. Ouch.

One last thing I noticed - Saturday my husband had a diet coke at lunch. I have been craving one this entire Whole30, so I thought I'd have a taste. I took a sip of his and it was AWFUL! I can't believe how much it tasted like chemicals or cleaning fluids. It kind of shocks me because I was able to pick up my diet coke habit with no hesitation after my first Whole30. Oh well, one less 'bad-for-me' food to worry about!

So, all told, I did more off-roading this weekend that I would have liked. Nothing major, but when you add it all up, it's not clean. My goal for this week going forward is 100% compliance before next Sunday when I'll have my birthday treat.

GLC, I like the way you describe your journey! I finished my 1st Whole 30 in October and did a combination of Riding My Won Bike and Totally Off Roading til late January. I am now in my 2nd Whole 30. The Diet Coke thing really surprised me. To tell you the truth, I didn't really think I would make it a month, but I did. So, no Diet Coke since October 1st. I miss it in certain situations (which make me laugh a little), but I miss it less and less and the idea of having one is kind of gross. I am still not ready to say it is forever, but...

Happy Birthday Season to you!!!!

Must say I have been wondering about excluding white potatoes... My meal out last week came with roast potatoes.. I preordered it without nd I'm glad as 'three' would have been too much... But I did wonder if being on a post 30 whole100 I needed to exclude them... Hard to predict if that's also a 'gate' food though too...

GLC I used to like the occasional coke zero... Wonder what I will think next time?

I had the opposite problem today. Eating a breakfast hash of half a zucchini, half a sweet potato, 3 eggs, a handful of blueberries and salt and pepper and my mouth is telling me I am having dessert for breakfast LOL

Hi All,

This forum has been such a lifesaver for me so thank you all for your support and chatter. I am now finishing my first 30 and intend on doing a second 30; I was a little disappointed because I only lost about 3 pounds this month and really would like to lose a total of 10 pounds. It seems as though I lose weight very slowly and I am convinced that I have metabolic syndrome (also based on my family history) and need to keep a closer eye on my carb intake per meal (not a whole sweet potato but just half, watch the fruit...).

Anyway, I really like this way of eating and intend on making this a permanent lifestyle change with a few modifications as another member mentioned. I have had minor health concerns and this seems to be good for me in many ways; especially not being overly paranoid about counting food intake.

I am wondering if anyone has modified this program as a lifestyle change beyond the first 30 days and how their body and weight responded.

Thanks for your input!!

IMO artificial sweeteners are really really bad, much much worse than cane sugar which although refined is still quite a natural product. I find it hard to think you could get your full benefits out of a whole30 with sugarless gum in it, although I still applaud all the other healthy changes you have/will make!

Archived