Applegate Farms response to Carageenan additive

Julie Quates

I messaged Applegate Farms (awesome source for clean deli meat/sausage/salami/etc) via their Facebook page asking about the Carrageenan that is usually added to their lunch meats.

This was the response and I wanted to share with you guys. Maybe if more people inquire about it-they will be pused to resolve this more quickly. Either way I will support companies with great customer service and great quality products:

Gerry Clarkson, an employee of Applegate, replied to Carageenan removed?, a question about Applegate.

Julie thank you for your questions. Applegate understands that this is a sensitive issue and we are currently reviewing available alternatives to carrageenan and new recipes that would allow us to eliminate it. We'll certainly keep our valued consumers informed of our progress as we work toward a solution.

There was a nice, big, W30 inspired fight on the Applegate Farms FB page not too long ago. This response from that actually pisses me off.

Their turkey used to be compliant. It was recommended by M&D at seminars, etc. THEN they added carrageenan to it. So this whole, "we're reviewing available alternatives and new recipes that would allow us to eliminate it" is complete crap, imo. There was _nothing wrong_ with the original compliant turkey!!!

Renee - that clears up a lot for me. I keep hearing about Applegate farms stuff as compliant but I have never found a single item from them in any local store I've visited that didn't have some type of off-limit ingredient. Now I know why!

Phew - I thought I was losing my mind. ;-)

The ingredients in the large cuts (for slicing) often vary from the pre-packaged meats because the packaged stuff needs extra help to preserve color, freshness and texture inside the package.

ahhh, That makes sense. I bought some applegate before my Whole30 and had mentally put it in the "compliant" category. Well good thing I checked before I packed it in my lunch!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay...I am in a panic now.  I am on Day 19.  Been Whole 30 compliant to a "T"....or so I thought.  I had bought some Applegate Organic Turkey and thought I had read the ingredients carefully.  Then, just today, reading through the forum trying to find out what I can have for Easter, realized that it is not!  I cannot start over.  OMGish!  I had bought two packages (they have six slices each) and I have eaten one of them over the past week. I haven't had any in a few days.  Please please tell me I do not have to start over.  I did a detox program through Lifetime Fitness about 6 mos ago and this turkey was compliant. 

Ugh....help.... :(

Okay...I am in a panic now.  I am on Day 19.  Been Whole 30 compliant to a "T"....or so I thought.  I had bought some Applegate Organic Turkey and thought I had read the ingredients carefully.  Then, just today, reading through the forum trying to find out what I can have for Easter, realized that it is not!  I cannot start over.  OMGish!  I had bought two packages (they have six slices each) and I have eaten one of them over the past week. I haven't had any in a few days.  Please please tell me I do not have to start over.  I did a detox program through Lifetime Fitness about 6 mos ago and this turkey was compliant. 

Ugh....help.... :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ...

Unfortunately, consuming carrageenan technically hits the Whole30 reset button, as it's a big gut irritant.  If you determine the last day you had the turkey, and add 30 days from there, that would fit the bill.  For example, if the last day you had it was your day 15, call it a Whole45 if that works better for your mindset.

I hope I have it in me to go another 30 days ..  I do not know if I do......

It might help to create a log for yourself for the remaining days in the  Your Whole30 Log section.  Remind yourself of the reasons you set out to do a Whole30, and use that to motivate you, one day at a time, one meal at a time, if you have to.  You can use the log for tracking goals, as well as your food intake, and/or changes you're noticing as you go through the process.

• Moderators

We cannot rely on anything but our own eyes and nutrition label info, unfortunately.

ALWAYS read your labels! You never know when a company will change their ingredients.

And, of course, you can do this! You KNOW you want the tiger blood that comes with clean eating. It's like NOTHING else.

Archived