Why does everybody think I'm on the Atkins diet???

minkymom

Can someone please explain why most people look at the way I'm eating and say "Oh, you're doing the Atkins diet!",...... it's really quite annoying. But more to the point. What can I tell people is the difference between living Paleo and the Atkins diet? I want not only to shut them up, but also to encourage them to eat this way.... it's literally changing our family's life!

Thank you Renee! That's helpful. I guess Atkins is more concerned with "carbs" than with nutrients? I'm not familiar with that form of eating, but I am loving that my family and I are eating REAL food, as much as we want, we aren't hungry and we ALL feel better!

I think the best elevator pitch for this scenario is something like, "No, it's not Atkins. It doesn't matter how many carbohydrates I eat, it's just important that everything I eat is nutrient dense and unprocessed"

Brilliant!

Minky, I get that a lot too. A lady I work with "tells me" all the time that I'm just doing the Atkins diet and she knows because she did it for years... sigh.

Yes. My husband used to do Atkins sometimes, and there is almost zero concern with food quality there -- like, you could eat only sausages all day, and that would be fine, because you weren't eating carbs, or I guess you could eat 2 pounds of cheese as your only food. Whole 30 is focused on fresh ingredients and on eating good sources of protein and fat along with adequate vegetables. While many Whole 30 meals would fit within Atkins, that doesn't mean theyr'e the same.

On the same kind of note, I haven't told many people about my Whole30 (I kinda want them to notice..hehe) but those who I have mentioned it to have had an immediate negative reaction. "I don't think I could do that, nor would I want to!" and "I'm very hesitant to believe any diet that promises too many benefits."

IT'S NOT A DIET!! I try to avoid the word diet at all costs and call it a food program or a food experiment. Yeah, people are funny and frustrating but what can you do? Smile and eat your sweet potatoes :)

You know, what people say about Atkins really isn't true most of the time. I prefer the Whole9 approach because it's just so darn simple and allows me to have as much fruit as I think I need. Whole9 doesn't take my unique body out of the equation. However, I had very real success on Atkins about 10 years ago. Induction only lasts two weeks and that's just to get you switched over to fat burning mode. The rest of the diet is simple and sustainable, encouraging people to have lots of veggies and protein, some nuts, and a small amount of fruit in the maintenance phase. Eventually, I think Dr. Atkins did not even encourage use of artificial sweeteners. What I personally don't like are the processed products you buy and the low-carb fare that's allowed in later phases.

I've been know to strip off the shirt and flash the six pack saying " know anyone on Atkins that looks like this!" Yep, it's a mans world! Sorry you ladies can't do that with out getting in trouble..... Lol

Honestly, I just had this beautiful woman in my gym come up to me and say " wow, you always looked good, but now you look incredable, your ripped, what have you done?" I briefly explain W30 and she says. " oh, so your one of those that has no fun at all, wink wink". ( at this point it was very obvious she was hitting on Me and I needed to shut her down) Well.... If joint pain,headaches,allergies,high blood pressure,anxiety,depression,constipation,hemoroids is your idea of fun....keep on eating and drinking the way you do, BTW me and my WIFE have plenty of fun!!!! That ended the conversation.

My point is, everyone has their own agenda, I find that most people really aren't interested and are actually jealous when they see your results and actually want you to fail because they are miserable ..... So don't take anything personally. :)

Archived