Incorporating cheap fish/seafood

Isabella N.

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I started our Whole30 journey at the beginning of January - we are on Day 12 and feeling great! We have been 100% compliant and not having too much trouble so far, but I think our downfall has been the absence of fish/seafood in our diet. It's not that we don't like fish/seafood (I LOVE salmon and shrimp), but it seems to be a lot pricer than chicken/pork/beef (I saw a bag of frozen shrimp at WF for $32.00 :blink: ), and we are on somewhat of a tight budget.

So, my question is: how many times a week should I be eating fish/seafood to get the nutrients that I can't get from other foods (I'm guessing mainly Omega-3s)? Also, where can I find the most inexpensive fish/seafood?

Hey Isabella!

I'm in a similar boat because I aim to eat at least 1-2 meals containing seafood each week (at least during the Whole30). I have just been sucking it up and taking the high price for it though. I've heard about 1lb a week of fatty fish (like Salmon) should balance your Omega 3-Omega 6 ratio (if you've not eating a lot of Omega-6 heavy foods, like nuts).

As far as saving money, my only tip would be to get your fish canned. I'm not really a fan of canned fish, but it's the less expensive option. Canned Tuna, Canned Salmon, etc. The other option is to just bulk up on frozen when it's on sale.

Wild alaskan salmon in a can is a great way to get salmon on a budget...smash it up and make into patties. Sardines are also a really good deal if you like them...I love the portugese ones in oil but the ones in water are cheaper. Sardines and salmon are also low on the mercury scale...win!

Trader joe's has some good deals on frozen salmon and tuna steaks as well if you want to splurge once a week or so. In a pinch there's always canned tuna....again I love it in oil but the water kind is cheaper. Yum!

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I go to Trader Joe's once a week, so I will definitely check out their frozen fish the next time I go. I've been getting their canned tuna and sardines, so I guess I will try to incorporate both canned fish and frozen fish 2 - 3 times a week!

Walmart stores with grocery sections now sell a selection of wild caught frozen fish. This week I bought salmon for $4.49 per pound, mussels for $1.99 per pound, and shrimp for $5 for 12oz. My local whole foods actually do farmed shrimp for $9.99 for 2lb bags but I haven't enjoyed them as much as elsewhere. I'm not sure what you pay for meat but those prices are definitely cheaper than the pork and beef I buy!!

Wholefoods normally do a weekly fish special too. The best one I have seen lately is monkfish at $7 a pound. Look out for deals like that and stock up while they last!

• 2 weeks later...

I made Shrimp Patties (logged with the recipe link in my W30 log) last night and it was an egg/coconut flour binder. They were delicious and I was surprised that I couldn't taste the coconut (even with cooking in coconut oil). My husband HATES coconut, so as long as I can't taste it, I figure it's something I can make for him too. Win!

The recipe I used called for chopped green onions and finely chopped red peppers. i forgot peppers at the grocery store so I threw in a little bit of already-chopped (from the fruit pico de gallo I made to put on top of the cakes) red onion and called it good.

I'll have to try out her recipe. Both the ones I've tried weren't totally successful. The second one is promising, probably need to add less egg to it. It called for coconut flour, egg and some mashed sweet potato for the binders. We definitely liked it but need to fine tune the recipe because it had so much egg that it didn't form into cakes and I didn't want to add more flour.

My mom always used to make canned salmon in little tinfoil packets (I was fascinated with these as a kid). She'd put some salmon on a piece of tinfoil, then a bay leaf, and then a lemon on top and folded the whole thing up. Not sure how long she cooked it, but we'd just put them right on our plate. Yum :)

Archived