Taken down by a sip of wine! Gosh darnit!

kaybee

And I didn't even do it intentionally! A guest at my restaurant wasn't sure about her wine, and asked me to taste it -- and I just automatically did! It's part of my job, I do it all the time. I did it before I even had time to think about it. Crap, crap, double-dang!

Am I overreacting? Is one small sip (and indeed it was) going to ruin my whole30, which until today has been 100%?

The worst part -- I didn't even enjoy it. *sigh*

• Moderators

My first response is to say, "Don't worry about it. It is your job and it was just a sip." My second thought is that if you are sensitive to the sulphites in wine, you set yourself back even with a sip. It is really impossible to say at this point. I would say continue on, avoiding more sips. If you don't feel great by the time you reach 30 days, the sulphites causing some trouble might be an explanation.

Thanks for your response Tom! Thankfully, it was prosecco, which is typically a low-sulphite wine. I don't think (but I may be completely wrong) I have any issues with suphites, or at least I've not noticed any in the past. And I usually drink a lot of wine. For work, of course (ahem!). No but seriously, I'll keep that in mind. I hadn't had even a sip in the past 18 days, and I have to tell you, I didn't realize I did it until about 5 minutes later as I wondered why my throat was burning. Very interesting! I'll be more mindful, for sure.

Archived