Help! I'm not doing something right

kellyp

I'm on Day 18 and I have been feeling really good all this time. But this week is not so good. For the last 3 days, I have had a headache and afternoon slump. I first thought maybe I was dehydrated but drinking extra water didn't help.

Now I am wondering if I'm not getting enough carbs or food in general. I did cut back on my protein some thinking I was eating more than I should. I have been satisfied until yesterday and today when my lunches did not hold me over.

I haven't been good about keeping a food journal but I have kept one the last couple days.

I teach Spinning and Body Pump classes at the local gym and also train for my upcoming bike racing season.

Weds

Spinning at 530am and training ride in the evening. I didn't wake with a headache but it came on after my post workout snack. I thought it was dehydration so I drank a lot of water. Headache was better for awhile but it came back again in the afternoon. Felt good during both workouts. Was pretty crabby all day.

PreWO-Hard boiled egg

PostWO-small piece of chicken and small piece of sweet potato

Breakfast-Leftover Well Fed's Chili on top of broccoli with guacamole. Small serving of applesauce.Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch-Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken on top of Spaghetti squash & broccoli, Kombucha.

Pre WO-Hard boiled egg

Post WO –small piece of chicken & small piece of sweet potato

Dinner-Salmon, steamed broccoli, carrots, parsnip with Coconut Manna

Thursday

No morning workout just my training ride in the evening. Had good energy level in the morning. I got a headache in the afternoon and that afternoon slump after lunch. My lunch did not stay with me again so I ate some nuts. My legs felt really heavy during my ride.

Pre breakfast: serving of cashews

Breakfast: 2 eggs, some leftover veggies-okra, squash, kraut, broccoli, sweet potato and 1oz salmon cooked in coconut oil. Organic apple sauce. Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch: Leftover Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken Pasta over leftover veggies-okra, squash, broccoli.Kombucha.

Snack: nuts

Pre WO: Hard Boiled Egg/Post WO: Chicken breast & Sweet potato

Dinner: Crockpot meatloaf with green beans & mushrooms cooked in Coconut oil.

Friday

Woke up feeling very energetic and feeling good. Went to spinning at 530am. Felt good all morning. Lunch did not stay with me again. I got a headache and my body is really tired in the afternoon.

Pre WO: Egg/Post WO: chicken & sweet potato

Breakfast: 2 eggs, kraut, kale, in coconut oil. Olives

Lunch: leftover bison burger on lettuce & green beans with mushrooms, kombucha.

Afternoon Snack: almond butter/coconut

Dinner: leftover meatloaf, sweet potato with coconut butter, mixture of peppers, carrots & kale sautéed in coconut oil.

I apologize for this being so long, I just wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

• Moderators

What you are eating looks good. My only question is whether you are eating enough. The meal template guidelines - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - will keep you from eating too little or too much, so if you are following them, you should be good from a food standpoint. I am concerned that you say you began cutting back on protein and now you are not feeling as good as you did.

No need to apologize. We like long posts with details!

I think you're overthinking. You cut back on protein recently because you thought you were eating too much, then you started being hungry and meals weren't holding you. Guess what you need to do? :) Add that stuff back in!

Additionally, I think you could use more carbs...just in general. You have lots of activity!

Ok so I rode yesterday. I felt good and energetic just riding but when it came time for sprinting, my legs had nothing!!! I could not keep up at all. Very discouraging. Almost made me want to just stop the Whole 30 but I want to finish what I started. Please tell me this will get better.

One of my teammates and I were talking about my lack of strength and she said that she thinks it is the way I'm eating right now. Which I could agree but I also did not eat grains, dairy or gluten before the Whole30.

She said you really need some carbs, I assured her that I had carbs and told her what & her comment was but you are not eating any breads, or oats, etc... and I really think that will help. Why does everyone think of bread being the only way to get carbs?

During the afternoon, while I still felt like I had energy, inside my muscles felt weak and shaky (arms and legs) like they were just totally depleted.

I'm on day 20 so I only have 10 days left to figure this out!!

how you are feeling is totally normal, but can I encourage you to hang in there? Your body is learning to use fat as fuel, it takes a while to make that transition, but once you have done it, it's AMAZING for an athlete.

Here's my advice: again, hang in there. second: try doing real pre- and post- workout nutrition following the guidelines (ie. protein and fat pre-workout, carbs and protein post-workout)-maybe i missed it, but it doesn't look like you are doing that, EDIT: ok, now I see you were doing that. good! third: EAT MORE, especially protein, but don't worry about eating some healthy starchy carbs as well. if you are hungry. EAT.

ps. it might take more than 30 days for the magic to happen, don't get discouraged if you aren't feeling 100% amazing by day 30.

Thanks missmary, I need some encouragement. I feel great and love this way of eating just horrible strength during workouts. I have been doing the pre and post eating but I think my Post meals have not been meal size portions because it is usually close to meal time when I'm done. Yesterday i did eat more post WO food and I ate more starchy carbs at meals than I normally do but not sure I had enough protein at dinner because I was hungry a few hours later. Yet, I was completely full at dinner time.

When I had a muscle issue....night cramps in my calves and feeling weak in the muscles, it was recommended that I add magnesium in the for of Natural Calm. I am trying it and it seems to be helping. I haven't had the night cramps at all and I still have a way to go to get to the full dose. Might be something to try...it seems to be a common occurrence in the period of changeover from burning sugar to burning fat. I am on day 21.

Thanks Juzbo, I did feel better yesterday but we didn't do any hard efforts. I am trying to make sure that I am having a starchy carb with each meal as well.

Suzytee, I have tried the natural calm off and on because I also don't sleep well. In fact, I had used it the night before my horrible performance issue.

I appreciate everyone's input and it really helps to know that others are experiencing this as far along into the W30 that I am.

Do you mind me asking what you mean by the "full dose" of Natural Calm? I started taking it last week, and using 2 teaspoons (measuring spoon) every night. I asked somewhere else if it is supposed to be an eating spoon or a measuring spoon but didn't get a response so I don't know if I am taking the right amount.

When I had a muscle issue....night cramps in my calves and feeling weak in the muscles, it was recommended that I add magnesium in the for of Natural Calm. I am trying it and it seems to be helping. I haven't had the night cramps at all and I still have a way to go to get to the full dose. Might be something to try...it seems to be a common occurrence in the period of changeover from burning sugar to burning fat. I am on day 21.

"full dose" of Natural Calm?

The correct dose will depend on your personal magnesium deficiency at a given time. If you find 2 teaspoons to be too much (evidenced by loose, watery stools), then scale it back. If it doesn't seem to be helping, try adding a bit more, gradually, until you hit your personal "full dose."

Thanks for the explanation.

The correct dose will depend on your personal magnesium deficiency at a given time. If you find 2 teaspoons to be too much (evidenced by loose, watery stools), then scale it back. If it doesn't seem to be helping, try adding a bit more, gradually, until you hit your personal "full dose."

kellyp -

Have you increased you portion of protein (as suggested above)? It sounds like your muscles are not recovering from activity the way they should be. If you haven't increased protein across the board, do it. If you have, I'd increase to a full-size serving of protein with your post-workout carbs.

Archived