help with non-refrigerated mini meals aka snacks

craftygrrl

I often work late on Fridays, I'll get lunch between 1&2 (when I manage to get lunch) but usually by 6, I'm hungry. I plan to have dinner at home with my family, but that's often not til 8pm or later, depending on when I'm done. So I need something that I can carry with me, that I can eat unobtrusively, and doesn't require refrigeration.

I've tried 2-3 oz of nuts, which usually will hold me until I get home for dinner, or a Lara bar which is okay, but, they're small, and neither is really following the meal plan.

help!

Oh, and I have to add, that we don't eat meat on Fridays.

thanks!

I have several soft collapsible mini coolers about 8"x8"x10" that with a small ice pack will stuff down really small... Small enough to keep a Tupperware of any mini meal of 3-4 oz pre cut protein,some steamed veg, olives...etc... Pretty inconspicuous, quick and easy to eat cold with a plastic fork

That's my go to on busy days.... Either that or I eat lunch as late as possible and have a tea with coconut milk late in the afternoon and that holds me until late dinner.... No reason you can't have a coffee or tea with coconut milk...... Just be carful of to much caffeine late in the day.

I have the same problem and while I can take extra food, ideally it would be nice to have some compliant foods that I could keep in a drawer at work and eat as needed. I never know when I'm working late and my hours are just long. I have nuts and baby food and sardines at work for those times, but I'd like to have more variety on hand. I saw little packs of olives the other day but they had non compliant ingredients. Do they make those same packs of just olives? I'm hoping to make some ground beef jerky or pemmican soon that would work too, I just need to perfect making it with complaint ingredients.

hey craftygirl - maybe you could make some egg muffins (check out a blog called 'stuffimakemyhusband'). Freeze them until you leave for work. I can fit 2 in a snack size ziplock. by the time 5 or 6pm rolls around they will be defrosted and ready to eat. and the bonus is they have no meat!

thanks for all the suggestions.

Are there single serve packets of olives that are compliant?

can you buy single serving packets of coconut butter?

how long do hardboiled eggs keep unrefrigerated?

compliant beef jerky?(that I don't have to make, pretty please. One of the few kitchen appliances I don't own is a food dehydrator...Lots of other kitchen toys, but not that one)

and for that matter, how long does coconut milk keep unrefrigerated? (I have a couple of little tupperware containers that I put single servings of coconut milk in for my coffee that I take to work with me).

I don't usually have room to bring a cooler with me, even if it is collapsible; I'm looking for more pocket size...(otherwise I could eat what I brought at my desk over in the other building) :)

thanks again!

The olives I have come in a 3.25 oz pop-top can and are the Albertson's store brand. A can is slightly more than a heaping handful unless I balance it just right. :) It would be too big for your pocket, but you could drain the olives and put part of them in a sandwich baggie.

I found this coconut butter on Amazon.

Artisana brand has small packets of nut butters, not sure about coconut butter, we don't get much of the range in Australia.

European delis often have small serve packages, I can get 80g cans of tuna in olive oil and small jars of things like artichoke hearts.

I'd go with frozen stuff, then you can have what you want, no fridge.

I keep a bunch of pop-top canned vegetables at my desk - more and more you can find "mini" sized cans at the store - not cost effective for feeding a family, but just right for a snack for one. You can either eat them room temp or heat them up in the microwave (in which case you need a bowl, too).

Beef jerky (if it's not Friday), an apple and a single serving sized packet of coconut butter. Or 2 Hard Boiled eggs along with some carrot sticks dipped in "sunshine sauce."

How can beef jerky be a compliant food? Normally they are filled full of salt and sugar and preservatives unless you are making them yourself of course, and i know they taste super bland with no salt or sugar added..whats your recipe?

How can beef jerky be a compliant food? Normally they are filled full of salt and sugar and preservatives unless you are making them yourself of course, and i know they taste super bland with no salt or sugar added..whats your recipe?

Primal Packs have comliant jerky. http://whole9life.com/2010/12/primal-pacs/

However, if you can make homemade you use vinegar (Braags), coconut aminos, and olive oil for the marinade and then we use Penzy's Chicken Taco seasoning (their regular taco seasoning is not Whole30 compliant) before we put it in the dehydrator.

I just made some post workout "snack packs" that I really love. I work out at 4 and it takes me an hour or more to get home so I need a little something before dinner... into "snack" sized ziplocks I put coconut flakes, dry roasted macadamias, and unsweetened dried pineapple bits... this would be fantastic with some teriyaki jerky pieces added in too. Trader Joes' sells gluten free jerky (not sugar free so I'll have to wait until after my 30 to indulge : )

• 2 weeks later...

Steve's Paleo Kits are really good for Jerky as well. And his Paleo Krunch is AWESOME

I just ordered Nick's Sticks from Amazon - jerky sticks. They looked compliant- Grass fed, no sugar, no msg - no bad stuff. Not super cheap but probably as good at I was going to find. I am on AIP so they will be my soul source of meat and protein, more than likely, for a few days.

Archived