Events you've made it through, or are dreading.

shoothead

I'm 8 days into my w30 and have already made it through dinner with the neighbors (which is usually a red wine extravaganza), a kids birthday party with cake and pizza, and a playoff football dinner (GO PATS!!!).

I thought a fun topic would be to list some events you've conquered so as to give motivation to those who have similar events upcoming. I have a poker night in a week which is usually a bourbon induced desert fest. It's every month and I wouldn't normally have a problem avoiding the desserts (I usually bring nuts anyway), but not drinking along will be difficult.

Also, when the Patriots win tomorrow night there will likely be a superbowl party or two. Should be interesting. And my daughter's b-day is coming up, all within my w30.

Lee

This sounds like fun. :) Way to go on making it through those events and still on track!

I've made it through a spa night at my brother-in-law's. He has the most awesome beer and wine! They also had fantastic snacks laid out. I opted for tea and a couple of black olives.

We have a gathering with friends each week, and I passed up dessert hour. It was not easy, because the lady making the desserts knows her stuff. I also wanted cream in my coffee, but went black.

I sat and watched my mom eat a loaf of fresh, dark, rustic bread, slathered in butter at Outback. I ordered the plain baked sweet potato, grilled veggies w/out any oils/seasonings, and wood plank salmon without any oils. I was sucking down my sparkling water with lemon like a girl about to die. ;)

On days 9 and 10 (?) I had the most massive cravings Ever. I literally cried, but I made it through and I think this was a crucial turning point for me.

I'm really looking forward to having a housewarming party late February. It will be post Whole30, but I'm hoping to make mostly compliant party foods, so we don't wind up with a lot of leftovers that don't fit in our preferred diet.

Black coffee is a lifesaver for me -- I love it, and if I'm in a setting where, for example, everyone else is getting dessert, I'll just order a cup of decaf. I enjoy it, and I don't feel like I'm just watching everyone eat.

I think Superbowl Sunday might be hard. I might bring over some sweet potato and/or plantain chips and some guacamole; it's going to be at our neighbors' house, and I figure that way we can contribute to the spread while making sure we have some food that will be compliant. If anyone else has party food ideas, let me know -- I know I've seen lots of "bacon wrapped" stuff, but I'm thinking things that would be less costly and/or maybe not require much cooking.

Made it through a wine filled, pasta heavy cheese fest, aka my friend's baby shower last weekend by drinking tons of mineral water, black coffee and eating the only thing that was compliant-a roasted beet and argula salad. And yesterday I survived our friend's daughter's 1st birthday party. Not normally a challenge perhaps, outside of the cake, but these are friends that we have regular alcohol infused dinner parties with and wine, beer and champagne were out in force. I sipped water and ate NOTHING, which I think **may** have offended her...not my intention...can't worry too much about it. Those were the two things that I knew would be a challenge I was really pleased to navigate the minefields and come out with my W30 intact.

I went to a girls' night where one of my good friends was cooking for us. She made chicken salad sandwiches, veggies with dip (with I don't even know what in it), and cheesecake. I brought a bunch of my own food (prosciutto-wrapped, balsamic-drizzled asparagus, sweet potato chips and other veggies with chipotle lime dip, some of Melissa Joulwan's savory Paleo granola, and deviled eggs (most of which were recommended by lovely people on this forum!). I ate like a queen and drank kombucha and the girls complimented me on what I brought. I apologized for not being able to eat anything my friend served, but I'd told her ahead of time about my restrictions and that I'm doing this for my health, so she was very cool about it.

I also got through the Girl Scout cookie sale kick-off party. Sigh. Those little cookies...so evil, so tempting. But I did it!

Fun thread, BTW!

I made it through baking four cakes and not licking the batter off of the spoon once! I did have to taste my frosting to make sure that is was the right consistancy, but it is the batter that is my weakness and I overcame it. I have another cake to make at the end of this week so hopefully I am just as strong as last time. I also went to a friends house over the weekend and said no to pizza. Weekends are hardest on hubby and I as we ALWAYS go out to lunch after my sons tae kwon do, but we resited (VERY HARD) not to, because we knew we would cheat if we did. So proud of us!

I managed to get through a get together at a local restaurant that is known for it's amazing tater tots which go especially well with lots of wine. Drank sparkling water and ate a salad with a burger pattie. Also managed a bday party for my friend's kid. Her parties always turn into adult events with lots of food and booze. Ended up staying late and had a blast with only my herbal iced tea or sparkling water to drink! It was a pizza station theme so I brought some meatzas and my own sauce...I was worried I would slip, but I totally rocked it!

Last night I attended an annual board meeting, followed by a wine and cheese (and cake) social hour. These are people who have always known me to enjoy my wine; they are also not the type of close friends that I have talked to about my diet.

As I circulated about with my glass of water in one hand and no plate in the other, someone asked, "What? Can't have wine?" I replied, "Oh, yes. I just have to stick to the un-fermented kind." And then I headed over to the buffet and nabbed a handful of grapes. ;)

I have a dance performance tonight and there's always a junk food buffet. We're backstage for so long (4-6 hours) and boredom can cause serious snacking. I'm going prepared with a hearty meal and some dates and writing this now as a vow to not touch the bad stuff!

I went to a staff happy hour thing, and I totally hung out and drank iced water. There was even some food I could have eaten, but I knew I was going to dinner shortly after, so I didn't.

We're having some friends over on Sunday to play board games, and I already picked out a bunch of compliant snack foods to have out, so that we can provide snacks like good hosts and not feel tempted by off-plan foods. Coffee and tea, sweet potato chips and guacamole, assorted berries, nuts -- not things I want to eat 1 million of, because I'm trying to stick to eating at meals, but I feel like they're good foods for hostessing with.

fun thread!

we just endured a friend's going away party -- lots of chips and dip, cookies, and beer :( but! miraculously, there was a bowl of cashews and tray of raw veggies! it's like someone wants us to succeed!

there should be whole30 book clubs.

I was ambushed at the store by the scouts! I gave them a few dollars and told them I didn't want the cookies! It worked, too - I wasn't guilty, they made a little money, everybody was happy! I had to turn them down when a friend offered them on day 2 as well, but all I had to say was "I'm trying the paleo thing for a month" and she backed down. She's a good friend. :)

I'm really worried about my trip with friends to Cologne (Koln) for Faschings in two weeks. It's basically the German version (kind of) of Carnival. Crazy foods, lots of alcohol, beads, etc. We're staying in a hotel - maybe I could pack myself food? I'll have to see if the hotel includes a fridge...if you have ANY tips for my weekend away from my home kitchen and food, please help!

I think the trip with the same friends to Santorini will be a bit easier. Lots of fish, olives, fresh fruits and veggies...easy peasy! I hope. If I can turn down the wine (it's literally the last week of my W30, so I don't want to blow it!).

There's actually a column on the GS cookie order form this year for "donate boxes", so we can still encourage/support the girls without having to bring temptation into our homes. Here's the info from the GSA website:

Share your love of Cookies! Donate boxes to military troops

Share your love of Girl Scout Cookies with military troops at home and overseas! Buy an extra box (or more) to donate to Cookies For Heroes. When you order your cookies from a Girl Scout or buy at a booth, just let them know how many boxes you would like to donate. The girl will collect the money, and Girl Scouts of [state] will ensure the cookies are sent to women and men serving our country. You can also write a message to be sent with the cookies, or help us fill the virtual truck on CookiesForHeroes.com

Actually, reading further, I think this may vary state-to-state, and even troop-to-troop as to where the donated boxes go (looks like at least one troop locally in my area is giving their donated boxes to Loaves-and-Fishes).

fun thread!

we just endured a friend's going away party -- lots of chips and dip, cookies, and beer :( but! miraculously, there was a bowl of cashews and tray of raw veggies! it's like someone wants us to succeed!

there should be whole30 book clubs.

Whenever there is a tray of raw veggies at a party that's where you'll find me. I own that tray. In fact, when my wife puts out the small raw veggie tray for the kids at dinner I usually eat it before they do. Somewhat of a bad habit.

I made it through 4 1/2 hours of poker night with seltzer water and macadamia nuts, cashews and almonds. And I won the pot too!!

My daughter is in Girl Scouts and cookie-selling season has just begun...

These are the times when nostalgia tries to get the better of you. I'm thinking that just reading the ingredients will be enough to turn me off though.

I have the same problem! I have to tell myself to 'shut it down.' I also have problems with my FB page. People post all sorts of yummy baked goods and now, Girl Scout cookies!!

Hang in there! We've got this. :)

Archived