Events you've made it through, or are dreading.

shoothead

I was ambushed at the store by the scouts! I gave them a few dollars and told them I didn't want the cookies! It worked, too - I wasn't guilty, they made a little money, everybody was happy! I had to turn them down when a friend offered them on day 2 as well, but all I had to say was "I'm trying the paleo thing for a month" and she backed down. She's a good friend. :)

I'm really worried about my trip with friends to Cologne (Koln) for Faschings in two weeks. It's basically the German version (kind of) of Carnival. Crazy foods, lots of alcohol, beads, etc. We're staying in a hotel - maybe I could pack myself food? I'll have to see if the hotel includes a fridge...if you have ANY tips for my weekend away from my home kitchen and food, please help!

I think the trip with the same friends to Santorini will be a bit easier. Lots of fish, olives, fresh fruits and veggies...easy peasy! I hope. If I can turn down the wine (it's literally the last week of my W30, so I don't want to blow it!).

I've never had to travel! Gosh, from your descriptions though, it would be very difficult to be on a Whole30 abroad. I love trying new flavors and dishes. It sounds like you are gearing up mentally to make a plan though, and that is key. Have fun!

Having been on the receiving end of gift boxes from people we didn't know, I will say that they are appreciated. That being said, I didn't partake much in them in Afghanistan simply because of the sugar overload. I relaxed right before I came home a bit, but I tried to be as strict as I could.

I'll hopefully be able to report to you all in a few weeks how I made it work at Faschings! Santorini has turned into Nice, but we're going to get an apartment so I should have a kitchen to make some stuff myself to supplement based on what the food available is. I'll pack some dried fruit (I know it isn't ideal, but when you're travelling you might need to supplement) and nuts to try to round out my diet a bit depending on what's in the restaurants (this is my first time going to France). I will be looking for flavor combination ideas for the future though!

Oh, man. I baked 6 dozen cookies for church tomorrow (our small group is in charge of hosting coffee hour after the service), and I managed to do it without tasting anything.

I know I'll feel better when those are out of the house -- they're a paleo cookie recipe that I super love. I chose to make them because I didn't want to make something with wheat flour (which we haven't had in the house in at least 8 months), and I figured "ingredients on hand, plus I know they're good" but it's SO hard, because they're just sitting there.

This doesn't sound food related, but it is, so stick with me. I survived my concert last night! I am a singer, and every few months I do a one-woman show in my town. This show included several pieces that were total challenges for me. In the runup to the show, I wanted coffee (caffeine isn't prohibited on Whole30 but it's completely out for me) and sugar and dairy every day. Every. day. I used to live on Sbux mochas during times of stress. Literally. That would be breakfast and lunch. And this go-round, even in the hours before the show, I kept thinking I could just drive through Sbux and get a fancy coffee on the way home.

And I didn't do it! I ate good food, stayed compliant, and sang my heart out! And it felt great! Also, my body and my voice were in better shape than they've been in, well, maybe EVER!!

My daughter is in Girl Scouts and cookie-selling season has just begun...

These are the times when nostalgia tries to get the better of you. I'm thinking that just reading the ingredients will be enough to turn me off though.

Yeah, just read the ingredients on the new Mango Cremes. They are supposed to be the "healthy" cookie for this year, and say "enhanced with NutriFusion!" Whatever the hell that means. It has something to do with "nutrients derived from fruit." So why not just eat the darn fruit?! They have at least three, maybe four different kinds of sugar in them! Sigh. We have an office full of cookies to sell, but our money is going toward the Troop to Troop program, as Ann mentioned. Now the question is, should I feel as guilty as I do for sending these things to the men and women dedicated to serving and protecting our country?

Congrats on your successful show, Amy! My daughter is a junior at University of Oregon studying vocal performance (opera specifically), and loving every minute of it. Well, not every minute - music theory is a total bitch. She's diverse in her taste and style like you, but I most particularly love to hear her sing jazz.

First girls night out of the year and we all havent been together since before the holidays. We are all into clean eating so the food was not an issue.. but the WINE and BEER was. We always tend to get 3-4 bottles of wine and split it up between 4 people. Well this was still done and I did not participate. Guess what?? I still had an amazing time and still participated and just socialized with an amazing group of women. Plus it was sort of entertaining to be the only sober one! I was stressing out about this night for about a week and thought it would be so hard but it really was not. Im on day 27 so I am too close to the finish line. I am still exhausted and my eyelids feel heavy but I am hoping the magic everybody talks about will kick in soon!!!!

Congrats on your successful show, Amy! My daughter is a junior at University of Oregon studying vocal performance (opera specifically), and loving every minute of it. Well, not every minute - music theory is a total bitch. She's diverse in her taste and style like you, but I most particularly love to hear her sing jazz.

Ah, yes. Music theory... (stifling a shudder...) Vocal performance, that was my major too! It's so fun to sing and sing and sing and sing - I'm glad she's liking it!

@Rojo Thanks!

The cookies all got eaten (except 2), but I'm throwing those two in the freezer for a post-Whole30 treat. People really liked them -- one lady was SO excited, because she has a wheat allergy, and apparently she can hardly ever eat the coffee hour treats. So, that's super nice.

We didn't get to use any of our fun compliant snack foods today -- we'd gotten a bunch to have out when friends came over for board games today -- because one of our friends got the flu so they had to cancel. Such a bummer.

Hilarious feed. Okay, things I am proud to have made it through:

DAY ONE

Friend's birthday celebrations for 18yo daughter: with no less than 5 beautiful types of fairy cakes, arranged on 5 beautiful platters

Returning to school where everyone brought in platter upon basket upon plate full of holiday biscuits, cookies, sweeties and more into my office, to you know, share the love. I skipped the cookies, took the baskets (for real). I currently have FIVE baskets at home now, with the following in each: citrus, avocados, apples and pears, mittens and gloves, and one that is empty and forlorn, but it still makes me quite smug ( and probably makes me look a bit crazy, I am aware).

ND-UofA Championship game at the pub, especially as it was such a blowout for my beloved Irish. This coincided with me having the most realistic dream EVER where I was watching the game at the pub (why did I have to do THIS again?), and eating massive quantities of non-compliant food AND drinking tons of Guinness and Harp and even crap beer, too--which in my dream I justified because I had started it so I needed to finish. I woke up from that dream absolutely gutted that I had to restart the W30 again--until I realized that it was freaking DREAM.

Pub with my Dad--I had so much fizzy water and lemon I felt wobbly.

A night out in Harlem for JAZZ, and a fab French bistro: I had the most brilliant Steak Tartare, veggies, and fish. Ever. OMG. Then had more fizzy water and lemon at the club right the way through 2am, where the bar lady was laughing because I think I may have been the only sober being in the place save maybe her...!

TWO focus group meetings where there was so much in the way of sweeties, cakes, cookies, crisps, and anything else that was totally off the cards that I could actually smell the sugar from the other end of the room--where I'd placed myself in hopes that I could stay the course. It was funny--I think I may have drooled on the boardroom table at one point. But this really was a breakthrough moment for me in terms of really considering food in a different way. Did I say I was drooling?

Robert Burns night: No Scotch. No Haggis. This was depressing, actually.

Chinese New Year celebrations: NOTHING compliant--it was so non-compliant it was almost funny. Meanwhile at home the rest of the family was noshing happily away on my chocolate chili. Seems skewed. Got home to find half a cake that a friend had brought by too, whilst he helped enjoy said chocolate chili.

So, really, I suppose there's nothing coming up that is any worse than anything above. What a different month this would have been, if not for the W30!! For better, for worse? Well I feel pretty ruddy good, no matter!

Let's see . . .

My daughter's birthday party - subs, chips, cake - I made myself a spinach salad and chicken sausage

A friend's 40th party at a hockey game in the luxury box - hotdogs, soft pretzels, popcorn, cookies, beer - I ate before I went and sipped on water

Girls night at a pizza restaurant and then to the movies - I ordered salad with grilled shrimp, no popcorn just water at the movies

Niece's birthday party - pizza, pasta - I ate dry salad since the dressing looked questionable

Going away party for co-worker - cake and other baked goods - just completely abstained

Pretty much every day is an "event" in my house since my three children and husband are not on the whole30. I have tried to make my own "spot" in the pantry but the kids just put stuff back everywhere. I am surprised at my restraint because every time I open that pantry non compliant food practically flies out at me!

Everyone is doing awesome! Totally pumps me up to read of the successes here. :)

We traveled today. I am on day 21 and have so much energy that I am going on adventures - something that happened once in a while pre Whole30. On the way home I skipped into SBUX for an espresso. I am well versed in their pastry case, but this time there was extra stuff, because this SBUX is contracted with Cheesecake Factory! No joke, not ten minutes before I went into the SBUX, I told my husband in the car, "I am really craving cheesecake." I almost did not make it...five different kinds, all beautifully stacked, calling to me. What got me through was realizing how long our day had been and that I wasn't bowled over with achiness, exhaustion, and bloat. It was so nice to be engaged in all the activities today and still feel like going afterward. It was rough, but I made it! Each time I reinforce my Whole30 boundaries, I feel I get stronger.

Marriage retreat this weekend (hotel-like accomodations, cafeteria-style meals)...packing several gallons of water and easy, pre-cooked compliant meals in a cooler:

-Breakfasts (2): Morning Mix ground meat skillet recipe (ISWF), sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, steamed broccoli

-Lunches (2): a bag of greens, chicken breasts, almond slices, homemade mayo-acv vinagrette, (topped with some blueberries or clementines wedges?)

-Dinners (2): still working on this, but will most likely incorporate a big bag of mustard greens and other things we need to use up before we leave

-Snacks: a can of natural olives in sea salt & water, veggies & something to dip them in (guacamole?), tuna salad, coconut manna (if I have time to make it to our local health foods store).

I was dreading telling my husband (who is not doing W30) that I was planning on bringing my own food (feeling like this was going to be an all-around fussy endeavor for both of us...me stressing about making and packing meals, him having to possibly make special trips to a gas station to get more ice), but surprisingly, he has been wonderfully supportive. :)

UPDATE: Planning and preparation led to Whole30 success! Ended up steaming some Mahi and broccoli, roasting some butternut squash for dinner on the way up Friday night. Did end up eating dinner there Saturday night (undressed salad, prime rib, green beans, passed on the twice-baked potato, rolls, red velvet cake). Decided my goal this W30 is to slay the sugar dragon and break snacking habits (stress eating), so I didn't worry about how the prime rib was prepared...was already planning to go beyond the 30 days anyway to heal some other things.

Can you do eggs? If so, you might be able to get them at breakfasts if it's cafeteria style food. (p.s. where are you from? There's a marriage retreat this weekend in my area...and if you are in my areal...we should totally become a real world support group for each other! I'm still waiting on my library to get back their copy of ISWF...did YOU check it out? Hahaha)

That being said, good luck! I'm dreading having to tell my husband on our next trip somewhere that I want to bring my own food...hopefully when I reintroduce I find some stuff that will actually be at the hotels/restaurants here!

I can do eggs, but chances are they are prepared with butter or other forbidden oils, so I think it will just be easier to pack breakfast (plus I really want to try the recipe :)). I'm in Florida, retreat is in Georgia...nope, didn't check out the copy of ISWF. In fact, I waited for months for our library system to get it, but I couldn't wait any longer and bought my own copy (totally worth it!).

I still am so amazed I made it through our neighbors' Super Bowl party. They always have SUCH amazing food for parties, and we even took over some of my husband's homebrew beer (which is excellent) for everyone else to enjoy. I hung out drinking water, and my husband sipped water and ate some olives. We ate dinner when we got home.

I have a conference next week, but my Whole30 ends a couple days prior -- a relief, because I think that's a conference I'd have a hard time getting through compliant. I'll still eat as well as I can with some deliberate treats, but that's a lot different than Whole30-ing.

I made it through Koln for Faschings pretty much unscathed! Not ideal for W30, but considering what I was up against, I'll take it! Let's see....

Dinner the night we left: Tupperware of veggies, a piece of salmon filet with a pineapple ring on top

Breakfast Saturday: apple fingers (I packed a few) dipped in almond butter

Lunch Saturday: found a grocery store with to-go salads. No dressing, and while I'm not sure the meat was 100% compliant (no ingredients listed) I went with it. Better than a bratwurst from the vendor or a banana-Nutella crepe!

Snack Saturday: blanched slivered almonds with raisins (no preservatives!)...probably too many, but given that my diet wasn't ideal/template driven thus far, I was starving and it helped me eat less of my dinner (see below).

Dinner Saturday: went to a restaurant and they let me order my schnitzel with the side salad and veggies instead of potatoes, and didn't dress my salad and brought me oil and vinegar. The schnitzel was breaded, but I scraped off as much as I can and filled up on veggies, in the end eating maybe 1/4 of the thing. Went with mineral water at dinner and the club afterwards - still had a great time dancing with my friend and definitely sweated it out for 3 hours straight! Oh, and I also avoided a late night crepe as well.

Breakfast Sunday: apple fingers, almond butter

Lunch Sunday: 2 pieces of salmon with pineapple rings

And now I"m home after returning and grocery shopping! Time to cook!

Archived