Autoimmune protocol and low FODMAPS

aph

I have plenty of Whole 30 experience, but I am brand new to the Autoimmune Protocol and low FODMAPS. Anyone else doing this as well? I am trying not to be gruff about everything I have to drop from my daily intake and just focus on the thought of feeling better. It just seems so bland :(

I am also doing it with the Autoimmune Protocol. At first I was just going to do the straight 30, but the more I read I realized I really need to try it. It's tuff enough just the 30, then taking out the nightshades are killing me. They are a staple in my diet. Then the more I read on other websites about foods and Autoimmune Diseases, they also recommend staying away from sweet potatoes, all nuts, all fruit. I want to do what my body needs, but that doesn't leave much at all! Breakfast is the toughest, I don't want meat and veggies for breakfast. I was an oatmeal every morning gal. I would love for some input from others doing it also and what their favorite meals are. ...oh and I didn't mention I'm allergic to broccoli, green peas, dairy and beef. Take out all the other stuff and I feel like I don't have much to eat!!

Chris, I keep just trying to focus on what I can eat instead of can't, but yes, I miss the nightshades too!! I used to put roasted tomatoes and peppers on everything! ANd I was an eggs and veggie for breakfast person. Now its meat of some kind. Would sausage appeal to you for the morning? Hopefully we see great results from extra efforts!! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I'm on the AIP too and am on Day 27. It's been especially hard for me not being able to have eggs. While the protocol has helped immensely with my energy, I am still experiencing symptoms (I have Crohn's disease), and will probably have to extend the diet well past 30 days to start healing.

Breakfast is the hardest meal for me as well. What I've found to work best is eating either bacon or sausage patties that I make myself with pork and some seasonings, with some avocado/guacamole. If you don't have it already, I do recommend you pick up the book "Practical Paleo" - there is an autoimmune protocol section with 30 day meal plan and the recipes are delicious!

I'm on the AIP too and am on Day 27. It's been especially hard for me not being able to have eggs.

Brave girl! I am trying to get close to full AIP.

No eggs thing is killing me too. Bacon is the last thing that keeps me sane :) I am struggling with coffee and nightshades too. Well, it's just a flavor. I think it's so childish to give flavor higher priority than health. Easier said than done. Eh.

Do you have favorite resources for meal ideas? Share please! I like this and this one.

Do you have favorite resources for meal ideas? Share please! I like this and this one.

Those sites are great, I haven't seen those yet! Thanks for sharing!

Here are some of my favorites:

http://empoweredsustenance.com/

http://paleomg.com/

http://livinpaleocuisine.com/

While not all of the recipes can be used with AIP, I do get some great base ideas and good reading. Empowered Sustenance is my favorite because I can relate to the author and she has a lot of recipes that can be used while on AIP. PaleOMG is also one of my favorites because I absolutely love reading the author's daily posts. She makes this lifestyle fun :)

Hope this helps! Good luck to you!!

Brave girl! I am trying to get close to full AIP.

No eggs thing is killing me too. Bacon is the last thing that keeps me sane :) I am struggling with coffee and nightshades too. Well, it's just a flavor. I think it's so childish to give flavor higher priority than health. Easier said than done. Eh.

:

Thanks for these sites! They look awesome! I am on day 63 of the IBSP mixed with the AIP and need some inspiration! Here is a site I found interesting and useful too:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/

:

Thanks for these sites! They look awesome! I am on day 63 of the IBSP mixed with the AIP and need some inspiration! Here is a site I found interesting and useful too:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/

Yep, I checked this one too. I am only at the beginning of this transition, so wanted to be prepared. If you go to the bottom of the clean plate (second link) there is a long list of AIP Friendly blogs. Hope that helps too.

One more site http://purelytwins.com/ Needs A LOT of filtering, these girls are not quite Whole9 and make a lot of treats. However they have been doing a 30 day gut healing journey and excluded pretty much all the AIP or gut irritating foods. What I like about the site 1) short workouts 2) they post what they ate daily. Everything is pretty simple, but it helps when you are really lazy.

Planning and positive outlook is everything! Yay.

I am glad you find it helpful. I am constantly looking for ideas to make it fun. I am still not on full AIP as I can't rule out coffee and spices completely. I am also sensitive to coconut. Aaand trying to keep my starches consumption moderate. Key word is trying, So

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Whole30 and my belly started getting worse. Eggs, citrus and nightshades seemed to be irritating. So today I'm starting the AIP just to try to get as basic as possible.

I'm wondering how it's gone for you all who have been working on it. How are you feeling?

I am going to a functional doctor today as after Whole 30 I feel worse. I don't think it's because this program isn't good but I think I have a sluggish liver (no gallbladder either) and my body isn't able to get rid of toxins, etc like it should. I have been doing Paleo, etc for quite a while now and feel worse-def want to keep eating well and living a healthy lifestyle/environment..but something just isn't right. Don't be afraid to find a doctor to talk to if you keep having problems!:)

• 5 weeks later...

I think so. You'll do we'll to avoid grains indefinitely but the autoimmune protocol removes other highly irritating foods (nuts, seeds, nightshades, other things someone will add, I don't have my book right now) that will allow your gut to heal.

MamaDrew -

How did you feel during your first W30? If you felt good and saw improvement in your symptoms, you may well be fine to continue with the regular program. However, if you're having a flare or still dealing with symptoms, you might give the AIP a shot.

MamaDrew -

How did you feel during your first W30? If you felt good and saw improvement in your symptoms, you may well be fine to continue with the regular program. However, if you're having a flare or still dealing with symptoms, you might give the AIP a shot.

Robin, I felt good during my first Whole30. I did experience bloating and discomfort for the first few weeks but I read that was normal. I took probiotics and started drinking a ton of kombucha and that seemed to help. I just learned that I have to continue eating gluten until I have my endoscopy in 3 weeks so I will have to put my 2nd Whole30 on hold for a bit unfortunately.

I think I will try it normal and just see how it goes and then possibly switch to the autoimmune protocol if I'm still experiencing symptoms. That would be SO tough for me!! I didn't realize what all nightshades included and except for potatoes it's all stuff I eat quite often.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on day 19 of strict AIP. I had not done a normal W30 before this. It's rough honestly. I'm struggling to eat enough because I have appetite issues from one of the meds I'm on for my Ankylosing Spondylitis (methotrexate). And meat is really really hard for me to eat when I have no appetite. I'm losing weight like crazy.

I'm curious: anyone with autoimmune disease find that a "regular" whole30 diet alleviates symptoms for them? I'm reeeeeeaaalllly hoping to get eggs, nuts, and nightshades back.

Minor gripe about Practical Paleo that someone mentioned above: she doesn't exclude seed based spices from her autoimmune protocol so her recipes are pretty useless if you're strictly AIP. :(

I wonder if I should have started with a regular w30 first to see if that worked!

This doesn't exactly answer your Q but if you were going to try to add some foods soaked or sprouted nuts would be easier to digest than non-soaked. You may still react though. Egg yolks are allowed on AIP but may not be tolerated well. I've done AIP and IBS but only as a way to reduce inflammation- I haven't been diagnosed with either though during my w30 I was reacting to the things that those protocols eliminate. Healing your gut is the name of the game. It's really all you need to focus on. Adding different types of more palatable foods may keep you from withering, but if they irritate your gut they won't get you anywhere towards healing you ai condition. If you could find a couple of things that you can eat- a broth based soup for example you could push through and systematically reintro a few things.

I have seen another thread where a mod suggested someone could do ok with an ai condition on the reg w30, but I am leery of that advice based on my own experience of bad reactions on the reg w30.

I have an ai protocol food log somewhere in my content that has some safe meals. A few of us are doing a 10 day mini right now and there is food listed there too. Feel free to join us if you would like a little encouragemt.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting here so I can follow

I think that some of the things in the aip may be showing a bit of issue for me. I want to do this whole30 first, then tweak it. There's so much healing going on that I want to finish this clean. Does that make sense? I don't think I could do an aip first. I've been working on my brain pretty intense this time! If I were to cut things out now, I'm afraid I would come and cheat. That's just me!

I think that some of the things in the aip may be showing a bit of issue for me. I want to do this whole30 first, then tweak it. There's so much healing going on that I want to finish this clean. Does that make sense? I don't think I could do an aip first. I've been working on my brain pretty intense this time! If I were to cut things out now, I'm afraid I would come and cheat. That's just me!

I think you're absolutely right to do a W30 first. W30 really helped me and it's only now that I'm switching to the AI protocol. If I'd started it in the beginning, I think I'd just have been totally overwhelmed whereas now, it seems much more do-able. Good luck

• 1 month later...

I have an ai protocol food log somewhere in my content that has some safe meals. A few of us are doing a 10 day mini right now and there is food listed there too. Feel free to join us if you would like a little encouragemt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moluv, can you help me find the log that you guys kept?  I have been looking for AIP logs and am about to create my own...shopping tomorrow.

I am also doing AI with low FODMAPS. I have had a big reduction in joint pain. I am not sure if it's the W30 or AI. My diet previously was pretty clean, no grains or added sugar. I did however eat legumes occasionally, dairy, wine and chocolate. I was having eggs everyday, so I am wondering if it was the eggs. I won't know until I try reintroduction.

Someone up thread mentioned they have Chron's. Just an FYI, avocado is a FODMAP. I find it does bother me, so I am avoiding it right now.

Archived