Weird tongue

johnsona

I get really freaked out by stuff like this. I saw on Dr. Oz. that white patches on the tongue could indicate thrush. It wouldn't hurt to have your doc check it out. I am not a doctor, nor do I have any advice on this in terms of the Whole30. The moderators are great chiming in on specific knowledge. :)

I'll be interested in the comments. I do have white areas on my tongue too.

I have had thrush before, and this is definitely different. I have digestive issues and I have a feeling this is connected to those. We'll see if it gets better in the whole30 process. I see my GI this week, and soon after my NP. We'll see what they say! Thanks.

My daughter has a condition that is referred to as "geographical" tongue. Her tongue is white with jagged patches on it. She gets it when she consumes too much acidic food, especially fruit and fruit juices. Not sure if that is what you have, but just wanted to throw that out there in case it helps. :)

Definitely talk to your doctor, but it could be geographic tongue, which I also have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue Mine flares up with some acidic foods, especially tomatoes.

None of my dentists even had mentioned it to me, but when I went to a dental school for some treatment, it was the first time my student dentist had seen it and he was so excited.... called over a bunch of the other students to see it to. Pretty funny.

Could it be stress or anxiety? I have an anxious thing I do unconsciously sometimes where I am flattening my tongue in my mouth and smooshing the edges against my teeth and it can get misshapen and painful. I was doing this at LEAST the first three days of my Whole30. My tongue only gets white where the marks are, though. Just a thought. Hope it's nothing major. WebMD has a slideshow of common mouth ailments.

Yes, and that would usually be thrush, which I have had and am thinking that is not what it is. I haven't seen my doc yet, but am wondering if it is happening because my acid levels are off, as I have h pylori. So, I think I need to keep plugging away with the good food and wait to get my results from my labs (which will say if all my little bugs are gone or not). Thanks all!

• 1 year later...

I read that the teeth marks on your tongue is from inflammation.  I have the same.  I would think that, that is a good way of noticing your improvements with the Whole 30 as the swelling goes down.  My tongue is also getting more of a white coating. Could it be the yeast leaving your body from not eating anything with yeast in it? (purely a guess) I'm hoping that this is the yuck leaving my body.

Archived