Sleep! Glorious Sleep!!

Ann

Anyone else using the iPhone sleep app? Day 13 of my second W30 (first was last summer), and I got 100% sleep quality last night, for the first time since I started using this app last fall! I usually range between 60-80% (sometimes as low as 30%), so this is awesome! Looking forward to a productive and relaxing 3-day weekend!

858039e4625411e2a94622000a1fbd9f_6.jpg

Hey was I the one to tell you about it? That's the one I use too. Or I used too, I don't bother anymore because it's generally 80+% , I sleep like the dead....in fact soemtimes I wake up in the morning and my ear is sore because I haven't moved in so long :ph34r: or that's what I assume is the issue...

I got to bed at 10 and read till I'm nodding off, generally by 10.30 at the latest. Get up with kids at 7am. We have clanking pipes so when the central heating clicks on I get up, don't even need an alarm clock :lol: Oh and the kids too!

Kids are definitely good alarm clocks! My "alarm clock" used to be an early riser, but these days his alarm doesn't sound until well after noon (on non-school days). In fact, we deliberately chose his classes this term to begin at noon or later. Works better with his internal clock.

It was actually a co-worker who told me about the sleep cycle app. You might remember I was a Blackberry gal for the longest time, and switched to iPhone last fall. In the excitement of a new gadget, I was picking everyone's brain about what apps I MUST have, and co-worker suggested this one. I love it (and my phone, maybe too much...). :)

For me it is the opposite - I find myself choosing to turn in early bc I know I need more sleep. When you look back over a month or two and see day after day of only 5-6 hours in bed, that alone can motivate you to go to bed earlier. It is sort of like keeping a food log. A tangible reminder that sleep is just as important as food. And a motivator in making good food choices - when I see my sleep quality improve when I'm doing a W30, or for that matter when I see how off-plan foods/drinks affect my sleep quality after W30, it's just one more thing I will think about when making any decisions about "off roading".

No sorries! I totally get why you might feel it would stress you out. I was hyper-aware it was there the first few nights, and for whatever crazy reason, tried to "be still" to not jostle the phone. Then I realized that was stupid, bc I wanted it to be an accurate reading of a normal night. After a few days, I was able to push start, stick it under the sheet, and forget about it til morning.

I've been using the app since early December. I love it, although there has been a night or two when I've registered 95%+ and I think....seriously? It's only happened twice. Last night I sleep SOOOO SOOOO SOOOO good (I'm on day 25 today) and I knew as soon as I woke up I'd register at 100%. I love the notes you can add to it too. My husband works nights/overnights some times and I love seeing how that impacts my sleep. I don't think it's as accurate as some other devices, like Zeo (I think I have the name right) because it doesn't measure heart rate, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper!

I used this app last night for the first time. I liked a few things about it…. And some things maybe not so much….

First, when I tested it, it registered when I moved, but it also would register when Rick moved. I don't think it will limit itself to just my movements. To a degree, this is accurate, I know if one of us has a restless night, the other one does as well. But it would be cool if I could see how it monitored just me.

I love the wake up experience. I didn't like it last night when it gave a 30 minute window. I have a few control issues… but I certainly felt the difference getting up this morning, and once you get to your “real†get up time, you can't tap it to shut it down. I think once I become adjusted to it, it will work really well for me.

I don't get 8 hours of sleep during the week, but I am working on getting as much as possible. Last night was 6 hours, most of it in a light sleep phase according to my little chart this morning.

All in all, it's very cool!

If you go in to seeting you can adjust the wake up window to a shorter time frame.

Do you have it on your side of the bed furthest away from your oh? so on the edge of your mattress?

I think you can adjust the snooze setting too, if you're willing to risk it :)

Oh good, I'll have to try adjusting the window to a shorter timeframe. And yes, it is on the corner away from him, but we don't really sleep on our own sides of the bed so I think it's just going to register everything:) it's ok though, I can live with it, hopefully we both start getting deep sleep again

OK, you've all convinced me. Especially because it's under the sheet on the edge of the bed and not under my head (for some reason I thought it would be positioned right under my pillow).

I bought the app (then couldn't find this thread to post! Glad there are more replies today). Last night I went to bed almost an hour later than I had been doing! But that's just be my inner brat. She'll get on board soon enough.

This morning's chart shows that I went into deep sleep almost immediately. It was interesting to see that.

Here's a question: What happens when I have to get up during the night? How does it know I'm up and not sleeping reeeaallly soundly? My dog has a temperamental digestive system and he'll sometimes wake me up in the middle of the night desperately needing a walk. What do I do about the Sleep Cycle app then? How does it know I've had to get up for 20 minutes?

Also, how do I quiet the alarm? It starts nice and quiet then suddenly it gets really loud. I have a guided meditation as my alarm so there's the soothing voice with, "Breathe in....breathe out..." and suddenly it's at super high volume blaring out "soothing" words! Kind of funny when I write it out but really jarring when I'm just waking up. Surely I can make it quieter somehow?

Maybe bring your phone with you on the walk, without turning off the sleep app? If you do this, I would wait at least until the calibration period is done (mine took five days (I think...) to calibrate?), so it knows what your "normal" sleep movements are. Otherwise it might not consider it a "big" movement when you roll over if it believes a big movement is more like walking around,

Archived