Sleep! Glorious Sleep!!

Ann

Oh good, I'll have to try adjusting the window to a shorter timeframe. And yes, it is on the corner away from him, but we don't really sleep on our own sides of the bed so I think it's just going to register everything:) it's ok though, I can live with it, hopefully we both start getting deep sleep again

I went to the Sleep Cycle site and here's their FAQ about two people in the same bed:

How well does Sleep Cycle work with 2 people sharing a bed?

We have done a lot of testing in order to make Sleep Cycle work with two persons in bed. The short answer is: yes, Sleep Cycle works very well with two persons in bed. It could be a problem if the person using Sleep Cycle weighs much less than the other person but in normal circumstances it works very well.

There are two cases regarding this issue:

1) Sleep Cycle has a hard time detecting your movement.

In this case the movement of the other person will not be registered at all so there really is no issue. Sleep Cycle will work in a mode that uses all movement detected for the sleep analysis.

2) Sleep Cycle detects a lot of movement, from you AND the other person.

In this case Sleep Cycle will adjust it's algorithm to only register larger movements. The small movements will be filtered. Since the other person is further away from the device these movements are smaller and will be filtered out.

Our extensive testing show that this works well.

Maybe bring your phone with you on the walk, without turning off the sleep app? If you do this, I would at least until the calibration period is done (mine took five days (I think...) to calibrate?), so it knows what your "normal" sleep movements are. Otherwise it might not consider it a "big" movement when you roll over if it believes a big movement is more like walking around,

Did you write what you meant to write, Ann? Because if I take it with me on the walk without turning off the app, won't it think exactly what you said (that my movements are big, therefore not register if I roll over)?

Their FAQ says not to do anything if getting up from bed during the night but I think they assume the person is coming right back to bed two minutes later.

I have emailed them about adjusting the volume (I'd love to wake up to 10 mins of quiet guided meditation!) but I think it's going to be for the future because their site says the volume automatically increases at 1.5 minutes.

Terez

Haha! Yes, I wrote what I meant, but I'm just brainstorming, and I don't know if it would work or not. I was thinking that once it had "calibrated" to your normal sleep movements, maybe the app memorizes that information, and so when you walk to the dog, it would realize this is movement beyond/outside your normal sleep pattern, and not change the original calibration/memorized movements. But it would at least recognize you weren't in bed being completely still. Sheesh, reading back I don't know if this makes ANY SENSE at all!! haha!! But it was my thought, maybe taking it with you would be better than leaving it on the bed to think you were fast asleep. If you decide to try it and it doesn't work, you can always re-set the app and start over fresh. (and if you do try it, or find a solution to the dog-walking question, let us know!!)

Ah -- Ann, I see the missing word. You wrote " I would at least until the calibration period is done" which I took to me "I would at least do this until the calibration period is done." But I see you meant "I would at least wait until the calibration period is done."

Your suggestion makes sense!

Melissa, it'll be interesting to see how it works for you (and DH!).

Terez

Archived