Plantains: a banana by any other name?

ThePaleoMom.com posted "[New post] Puerto Rican Plantain Lasagna (Pastelon)" that uses plantains as the "lasagna noodles." I know for sure it would SWYPO if I was recovering pastaholic. I am not and I realize it wasn't the pasta (or rice) I loved so much as the cheese, butter, sauce, etc., that was on the stuff. One taste plain is enough to remind me.

But I do like a hearty Italian meal from time to time and wondered if plantains are okay. I went through ten pages of "Can I have _____?" and never saw plantains. I know they're banana relatives, but wasn't sure if and how much is okay.

Thanks,

Annette

• 4 weeks later...

I loooove plantains. I actually make Jibaritos, puerto rican steak sandwich with the fried plantain as the buns....I just made some last night, and it's very filling & yummy. I am on day 9 of my whole 30. Try this recipe, I modified it to make it whole 30 compliant :)You can experiment with the spiced you like etc as well. The below recipe is for green plantains. If your plantain has already turned yellow or brown, you can slice them (coin style) and sear in some clarified butter, and turning over to sear the other side as well, to make fried plantains (platanos maduros). Very quick and simple, and gives you a sweet version of fried plantains. The green plantains are not ripe yet so they are not sweet and moochy, and ideal for making plantain buns, tostones etc.

Ingredients needed for Jibaritos:

1 large green plantain, peeled and sliced lengthwise and in half (4 pieces)

* oil (for deep frying) - you can use light olive oil * 1 tablespoon butter (use Ghee/clarified butter)* 2 teaspoons olive oil

* 1 cup thinly sliced onion* 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced* 1/4 teaspoon cumin* 1 -2 pinch cayenne or 1 -2 pinch dried chipotle powder, to taste* 6 ounces skirt steak, thinly sliced* salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste* lettuce* thinly sliced tomatoes or roasted red pepper* 1 teaspoon melted butter (ghee)* 1/4 teaspoon roasted minced garlic

Directions:

*Heat oil, then fry the peeled and sliced plantain for 1 minute.

*Remove plantain from oil, place on a heavy cutting board with aluminum foil at the bottom, cover with another layer of aluminum foil and flatten plantains in between using a frying pan, or another cutting board on top

*Fry the now-flattened plantain in the oil again, until outside is golden and crispy, another 1-2 minutes; remove from oil, set aside on paper towels to blot oil, and keep warm.

*Over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil together, then sauté the onions until just becoming soft.

*Add the garlic, cumin, and cayenne (to taste), stir well, then add the meat slices and sauté until browned; season to taste with salt and pepper.

*Spread some ghee on the bottom slice then top with the meat and onions. Top with lettuce and thinly sliced tomato (or roasted red pepper), then the remaining plantain top.

*Combine 1 teaspoon melted butter with 1/4 teaspoon roasted minced garlic, then brush the top plantain slice with the butter/ghee garlic mixture.

Now eat and enjoy :) Sorry for the long novel, but hope this helps :) Definitely beats using it as lasagna substitute ;-)

• 2 months later...

Archived