Why do so many whole30 sample meals contain nightshades?

brizi

Hiya,

I'll be starting whole30 this Monday, Jan 21 but have become thoroughly confused in my research. Almost every blog, cookbook, recipe, meal idea (from forums here and elsewhere) will inevitably contain some form of nightshade - most notably tomatoes but I've also noticed bell peppers and cayenne, hot peppers.

Are there people who are following whole30 and making sure to eliminate nightshades (with reintros after the 30 days where possible) or is everyone just ignoring that part --> or perhaps I missed the section that said it's okay to use them?

Help - so confused by what's "protocol" before I start to plan my meals!

- brizi

Yes, I believe removing nightshades isn't for everyone and is certainly not a requirement in the Whole30. If you think they might be an issue, or if the chapter in the book about special populations rings true for you, it would be worth doing. But for most it isn't necessary.

• Moderators

It seems lots of people are coming to the forum with plans of doing a Whole30 and not reading the definitive source of information about the Whole30, this one page on the website - http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5-the-official-whole30%C2%AE-program/. This one page will answer every major question anyone might have and most minor ones.

Hi Tom - actually I did read the "definitive" page as well as the book...plus various pdfs, articles, forum posts - so please don't think that I didn't. It may have been another Paleo site that suggested no nightshades plus reading that with the special groups had me thinking it was a definite no-no. And I kept wondering why all these recipes included them. I could have sworn I read somewhere "no legumes and nightshades" but based on all the recent info here, I was mistaken (as I pointed out above).

Archived