Is This Making Me Sick?!?!?

MJKinOki

Hi there! Day 17 here and not doing great. I was cruising right along until Day 14 and I've been laid up ever since. It started with severe stomach cramping, diarrhea, and some vomiting on Day 14, plus a low-grade fever. Since its "going around" I assumed that I had a stomach bug. I obviously ate nothing that day. Next day I awoke with what could only be described as a migraine, but the stomach issues were gone. That day I managed a bit of frittata in the morning and some bone broth egg drop soup at night. Yesterday (Day 16) I slept terribly (tossing/turning/muscle cramping in my legs) and awoke to find the headache still there but it did subside by mid-day. However, it was replaced by intense nausea and a total inability to even consider meat products or any sort of cooking fats, two things I have thoroughly enjoyed up until now and my favorite aspects of this new way of eating! I did manage 2 small compliant meals and just couldn't stomach it at dinner so I had a toasted nut/coconut flake combo with a banana. Last night my legs kept me up most of the night and it hit me...have I had stomach flu or is the Whole30 making me sick?!?!?? The nausea has somewhat subsided but I'm still not loving the idea of meat, and I'm going to get a Thai massage to try to work out whatever is happening in my hips & hamstrings (also going to look for a Magnesium supp). So, I know no one on here can tell me for sure, but is this the "carb flu" or an unfortunately-timed stomach bug coupled with normal side-effects (leg/hip issues) possibly amplified from 3 days of lying around? I very rarely ate carbs before I started the Whole30 and was already eating Paleo (plus chocolate & wine). Please help!

I am by no means an expert, but I am going to go with the stomach flu, coupled with dehydration. The leg cramps could likely be due to not enough sodium/potassium.

I would say to drink bone broth and herbal teas as tolerated, until you can stomach more substantial meals again.

Feel better soon!

It was temporary. i have to say, three days into the norovirus episode I did "fall off the wagon" and eat some rice because I just could not face anything that tasted meaty, and I know (from previous whole30s) rice is a "safe" food for me (doesn't seem to trigger any reactions or cravings).

Archived